Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,167,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
GSU = stands for either Georgia State University or Georgia Southern University
Since it's Metro ATL, GSU is understood to be Georgia State University. Georgia Southern is down near Savannah so you'd have to give all or most of its name to avoid confusion.

Others are USG for University System of Georgia. KSU for Kennesaw State University, and GPC for Georgia Perimeter College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 01:22 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,644,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll
GSU = stands for either Georgia State University or Georgia Southern University
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Since it's Metro ATL, GSU is understood to be Georgia State University. Georgia Southern is down near Savannah so you'd have to give all or most of its name to avoid confusion.
That's a good point, but because there are A LOT of Georgia Southern students, alumni, fans and supporters living in the Atlanta region (and probably also because the Georgia Southern football program has won 6 national championships at the FBS/Division I-AA level), Georgia Southern often gets referred to as "GSU" (and sometimes even gets referred to as "the real GSU") by many Metro Atlantans.
Georgia Southern Eagles football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2013, 02:10 PM

16,730 posts, read 29,715,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I need to start hanging out with you...

Old 09-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Others are USG for University System of Georgia. KSU for Kennesaw State University, and GPC for Georgia Perimeter College

And for Georgia Southern, I hear people throughout the state just say "...'Southern" when referring to Georgia Southern, not "GSU."

Old 09-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
That's a good point, but because there are A LOT of Georgia Southern students, alumni, fans and supporters living in the Atlanta region (and probably also because the Georgia Southern football program has won 6 national championships at the FBS/Division I-AA level), Georgia Southern often gets referred to as "GSU" (and sometimes even gets referred to as "the real GSU") by many Metro Atlantans.

Georgia Southern = 'Southern

Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Georgia State alumni far out number Georgia Southern in Atlanta and Georgia State is IN Atlanta, not 200 miles away. Even Clemson and Auburn are closer. And Georgia Southern has never won a National Championship. Only FBS teams win National Championships. Nobody gives a damn who wins DI-AA, DII, or DIII championships. And who, other than Georgia Southern alumni, refers to Georgia Southern as "the real GSU"?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,644,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And for Georgia Southern, I hear people throughout the state just say "...'Southern" when referring to Georgia Southern, not "GSU."
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Georgia Southern = 'Southern
You are very correct, though, sometimes Georgia Southern alumni, fans and supporters will sometimes refer to themselves "as the real GSU", often out of a sense of bravado because of the winning tradition of 6 National Championships in football at the FCS/Division I-AA level.
Georgia State or Georgia Southern: Who's the real GSU? | www.ajc.com

A few passages from the AJC article in the link:

Quote:
Georgia State or Georgia Southern: Who's the real GSU?...

...Georgia State's football helmets say "GSU." The T-shirts that sold out
in the student-center bookstore say "GSU." Even the school's URL says "GSU."

Frank Sulkowski is not convinced.

"I think Georgia Southern folks and the Eagle fans down here feel like
Georgia Southern has earned ‘GSU,'" said Sulkowski, sports director at WJCL-TV
in Savannah and a member of Georgia Southern's Class of 1997.

The neatly trimmed boxwood shrubs in Statesboro at Georgia Southern's campus
entrance say "GSU." The T-shirts that are years older than the ones that were
snapped up at Georgia State last week say "GSU." Even the school's phone
number says "GSU."...

...A question that was first asked in 1990, when Georgia Southern College
attained university status, has taken on added urgency this fall with the
debut of Georgia State's football team -- who's the real GSU?...

...Adding a layer of complexity to the matter is both schools' approach to
the initials. Before Mark Becker became Georgia State's president in 2009, the school had steered clear of using GSU -- in school publications, paraphernalia, anywhere -- to avoid confusion with Georgia Southern, which has received significant publicity from its six national championships in
football....

...Georgia Southern has gone the opposite way in recent years. Athletic
director Sam Baker said that former school president Bruce Grube sought to
limit the use of "GSU," preferring the school's full name. The school
believes it aids in name recognition, particularly outside the state.
Sulkowski acknowledges that the decision has influenced his reports to the
point that he never refers to the Eagles team as "GSU."...

..."I used to tell people, when I first got to college, ‘I go to GSU,'"
said Hall, who hails from Dublin, about 90 minutes west of Statesboro. "They'd
be like, ‘Oh, you go to Georgia Southern.' ‘No, I don't.' I took offense."

Josh Morris, a Georgia Southern man in Georgia State territory, is equally
resolute.

"I just think it should be and will be Georgia Southern, at least until
Georgia State does something on the football field," said Morris, president of
the Forsyth/North Fulton Eagle Club.
Quote:
Georgia State alumni far out number Georgia Southern in Atlanta and Georgia State is IN Atlanta, not 200 miles away. Even Clemson and Auburn are closer.
That is true, as no one ever said that Georgia Southern alumni outnumber Georgia State alumni in Metro Atlanta.

But even though larger FBS/Division I programs like Clemson and Auburn are closer to Atlanta than Georgia Southern, because of its history of winning National titles at the FCS/Division I-AA level of college football over the last 3 decades, and because the school is located within the state of Georgia and receives a very-large amount of students from Metro Atlanta due to the Hope Scholarship and in-state tuition rates, Georgia Southern University still gets a fair amount of acknowledgement as a football power and has a fairly-large following in Metro Atlanta, despite being a school with a FCS/Division I-AA program 200 miles away in Southeast Georgia.

Quote:
And Georgia Southern has never won a National Championship.

From the link:
Quote:
The Eagles have won six NCAA FCS National Championships, the most by any team in the nation.

National championships[edit source | edit]
  • 1985 - Coach Erk Russell and the Eagles won their first national championship vs. Furman University in the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Washington. Quarterback Tracy Ham threw for 419 yards and rushed for another 90 to overcome a 28-6 deficit.
  • 1986 - The Eagles returned to Tacoma to defeat the Arkansas State Indians. Tracy Ham earned 486 rushing and passing yards and three touchdowns.
  • 1989 - In Erk Russell's final game, the Eagles defeated Stephen F. Austin in Statesboro, Georgia in front of 25,725 fans to complete a perfect 15-0 season. Quarterback Raymond Gross engineered 17 fourth quarter points, including a game-winning field goal with 1:41 remaining in the game.
  • 1990 - Tim Stowers' Eagles win their fourth national championship vs. Nevada
  • 1999 - Paul Johnson won his first national championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee vs. Youngstown State in Jim Tressel's last national championship game as a Penguin (Jim Tressel's last game as a Penguin was against the Richmond Spiders in the playoffs in 2000). Adrian Peterson ran for a championship game record 247 yards on 25 carries and scored three touchdowns.
  • 2000 - The Eagles defeated the Montana Grizzlies to win their sixth and final FCS championship.

Quote:
Only FBS teams win National Championships.
...Not true.

FCS/Division I-AA teams win National Championships, too...National Championships which most people (even rabid FBS/Division I college football fans) give a lot of weight and acknowledgement and respect to because unlike in FBS/Division I-A football, whose championship has been determined a by computers and the earning potential of the schools involved, FCS/Division I-AA college football earns their National Championships on the field with a 20-team playoff.

Quote:
Nobody gives a damn who wins DI-AA, DII, or DIII championships.
Just because you may not personally "give a damn about who wins DI-AA, DII, or DIII championships" does not mean that nobody else does.

Actually, A LOT of people "give a damn" about who wins DI-AA, DII, or DIII championships as not every college football player can play at the FBS/Division I-A level.

Just because they don't play for a big school in big money conference on national TV every week does not mean that those DI-AA, DII, or DIII college football players don't go out there and leave it all on the field just like their much more well-known and higher-profile counterparts at the much more profitable FBS/Division I-A level.

Quote:
And who, other than Georgia Southern alumni, refers to Georgia Southern as "the real GSU"?
That's a good question...

The Real GSU (GaSouthernMoves) on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/GaSouthernMoves

The Real GSU - GSUFANS.com:
The Real GSU

THE REAL GSU IS GEORGIA SOUTHERN!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 PM

^ Well, apparently 6 FCS championships isn't significant enough because Georgia Southern decided to "move up" to FBS. Why? Probably because they know no one cares about their supposed "National Championships" and they'll get more recognition playing in a lowly no-name FBS post-season bowl than an FCS championship.

I remember listening to 790 when they were talking College Football and one of the radio guys remarked he was being bombarded on Facebook or Twitter (one of the social media sites) by Georgia Southern people wanting him to talk about a recent Eagles win. It went something like this...

Quote:
I'm getting all these complaint posts from Georgia Southern fans ***sigh*** Ok, Georgia Southern beat (I forget who) today in Statesboro (the score)...Ok...done
He didn't care and he knew most of his audience didn't care either.

And all your quotes, sites, etc. are just Georgia Southern people throwing out "GSU" or "The Real GSU". Not surprising. But in Atlanta, GSU is Georgia State and all those second-tier football championships by Georgia Southern won't change that.

Really, I've never seen a school with such an over-inflated view of itself than Georgia Southern.

And since you are interested in URL links, enter this one in your browser

gsu.edu

That's the Real GSU.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:45 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,922,040 times
If football is what makes the difference in who should be the 'real' GSU, the team from Statesboro wins the argument hands down. Both GSUs have just made the move up to FBS. But the Atlanta school has NO history of doing anything in football at the lower FCS level. None. Only a handful of wins in what, 3 or 4 seasons now in front of a mostly empty Georgia Dome.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:46 PM

725 posts, read 1,283,778 times
Georgia State has been GSU since 1969

Georgia Southern Changed their name in 1990

State is and always will be the REAL GSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta