Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:48 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times

Advertisements

For old schoolers who was here when it happened....

We've been talking about roads in some threads on here and how difficult it is to get them built.

I lived in Buckhead for years and just kind of accepted that certain areas were very difficult to get around and many streets just seemed to dead-end for no reason and not go through like they should.

One day, I was up in the Intercontinental hotel when they first built it and it was the first time I really looked at Buckhead from that perspective. When you see it from that angle, it's totally obvious that GA 400 completely bisected Buckhead and just chopped it into two.

Buckhead has always had money and been politically powerful. So I'm just wondering, how in the world did they get GA 400 built right through Buckhead? Surely residents must have known it would do this.

It seems like nowadays you can't even expand a road without someone getting upset by it. How did they build a big, thick, grade separated highway to run right through the center of the premiere area of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Here is some information

Georgia State Route 400 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I knew that planning for the road had been in the works for years (and yes there were many lawsuits) - according to Wikipedia planning started as early as 1954!

The building that GA400 runs under was actually built that way several years before the road was actually built.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,681 times
it was supposed to connect to 675 with a giant interchange where the carter center is that would have connected to stone mt freeway. St mt freeway would have absolutely destroyed North Decatur, Lake Claire etc connecting over. The 400/675 connection would have destroyed Morningside, VA higbhladn etc. If you look at old aerials of freedom parkway from the early 90's you can see the on ramps that were being built for a limited access highway. I guess the neighborhood fought it and won...good thing! but the neighborhood was pretty annihilated where Freedom Parkway is now.

One of the picturs of the tv show "the walking dead" shows freedom parkway going into Atlanta as a 10 lane highway if you want to see what it would have looked like!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
To answer the OP's question on why it got built, it simply boiled down to the pro-tollway forces having more political pull than Buckhead/Sandy Springs residents opposing the road.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,681 times
oh well, I still had fun with my answer!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
To answer the OP's question on why it got built, it simply boiled down to the pro-tollway forces having more political pull than Buckhead/Sandy Springs residents opposing the road.
Exactly. The highway was bitterly fought, but couldn't be stopped. It sliced Buckhead and Sandy Springs right through the middle.

Though it has taken years for the northside communities to knit themselves back together, they have come a long way. Folks now build right up to the edge of the highway.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
St mt freeway would have absolutely destroyed North Decatur, Lake Claire etc connecting over. The 400/675 connection would have destroyed Morningside, VA higbhladn etc.
I wonder if that's true. Many communities have battled back after freeway construction and become as strong as ever. Look at Midtown today, or the 1-75 corridor through Buckhead, the GA 400 corridor through North Atlanta, or Grant Park and East Atlanta around I-20.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
What about roads like East Paces Ferry?

I'm assuming that before they built GA 400, that road connected. I'm amazed they didn't insist on a bridge or tunnel to keep E. Paces connected.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I'm assuming that before they built GA 400, that road connected. I'm amazed they didn't insist on a bridge or tunnel to keep E. Paces connected.
IIRC, the local residents were sick of cut-through traffic to Lenox, so the pedestrian bridge was a compromise.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

You used to be able to get to Lenox Square via East Paces Ferry ... it came out behind Macy's (now Bloomingdales). We took that shortcut off Piedmont all the time, even though there were speed humps in the residential streets to slow traffic it was still a hell of a lot quicker getting to the mall than going up to Peachtree (obviously). The building that houses Buckhead Diner was originality a free-standing Gap store and where you turned to go to the mall. OH MY GOD IM SO OLD!

I think people forget that many of the residents of Buckhead *WELCOMED* the fact that Ga 400 forced dead-ends and eliminated tons of cut-thru traffic that was a chronic problem back in the day. Imagine what it would be like now? Also, the fact that there's only ONE exit off 400 in Buckhead (and it was a feeder road, not an existing road) was a compromise. GA 400 is truly a work of engineering genius, what with they financial center tunnels an the MARTA line. A beautiful example of what urban expressways can be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta