Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,113 times

Advertisements

Hello

I've been reading this forum for the last two weeks and can't say enough about all the great information I've found.

So here is the scenario, my wife and I are going to be moving from Seattle to Atlanta. My wife will be working for Coke at their HQ in the downtown area. I will hopefully be working at or near Hartsfield airport (KATL) for DL.

Looking for a good suburban area, safe, community pool, etc... We have a 2 year old and we are looking to live in an area with other similar professional families. I don't mind a little diversity but we basically are white Yuppies

So far, people are have mentioned to us Dunwoody, Sandy Springs as good places to live but not sure about the commute for 9-5 type jobs. Through my research, Vinings and parts of Smyrna (Vinings Estates) seem to be a good middle ground for commuting to both work locations.

Any help is appreciated.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,466 times
Well if your job is Marta accesible you could live in Dunwoody or Sandy Springs and just take Marta down. Otherwise, Smyrna is a decent option.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Coke HQ is not MARTA accessible, at least not without getting on a bus or having quite a long walk.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM

163 posts, read 431,347 times
I believe Coca-Cola runs vans from MARTA to the Atlanta office complex. I'm a Coke employee, but I'm up in their Sandy Springs-area complex...and when I need to be downtown, I'm just a couple of minutes away by car.

I just moved here for the job in August, and I lived at first in Buckhead. On the mornings I had to go downtown to the office, I usually waited to go until 9 a.m. or so, and would make it in ten to fifteen minutes. I'm not sure what it's like from there in the morning prior to that (if you were to consider Buckhead).

I can tell you that as I make the 18-to-22 minute drive up 75 in the morning, there is a significant amount of traffic coming south, so your commute would be more than the 20-ish minutes it takes me to do the reverse commute up to the 30339 zip code. (I'm in Inman Park...not sure if you're familiar with the geography; if not, definitely get familiar with the map. I learned very quickly how to get around here because I would go out driving and then come back and pull up a map and understand where I was and what my other options were. Then again, I'm sort of a nerd with a love of maps.)

Depending on your budget, you may want to look in the Inman Park area. It's close to the downtown office and closer to the airport, for you (when there's no traffic, it takes me about 15 minutes to get to the airport with light to moderate traffic). It's an expensive area, and I don't know how big a yard you want; the homes here are older, as this was Atlanta's original suburb. But it's a fabulous area that's full of parks and open space. You should at least take a look.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Yes, Smyrna and Vinings would be a great option and reasonable commute for both of you. Coke HQ is actually just north of Downtown and West of Midtown near the Ga Tech campus

Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 PM

163 posts, read 431,347 times
And it involves coming down 75 in the morning and getting off at North Ave. (If you're taking the most direct highway route.) It's got to be at least a 45-minute commute in the morning, depending on the time one leaves. He also has to go down to the airport. That's lengthy.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,743 times
I would rent something in Vinings or elsewhere ITP (somewhat close to work) and then decide later about schools since your kid is quite young.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
And it involves coming down 75 in the morning and getting off at North Ave. (If you're taking the most direct highway route.) It's got to be at least a 45-minute commute in the morning, depending on the time one leaves. He also has to go down to the airport. That's lengthy.
There are lots of alternative routes to from Smyrna to Coke HQ other than I-75. Typical traffic should be about 1/2 hour - when traffic is a nightmare there are lots of options such as Northside Drive and Marietta/Atlanta Road

I drive to the airport every Monday from Smyrna leaving at 8 am and make it to the airport in 1/2 hour. The worse part of my commute is the 2-3 miles it takes me to get to I-285 so definitely keep that in mind.

Yes, when traffic breaksdown in Atlanta (typically in the rain) these commutes can be a nightmare (over 1 1/2 hours) but that would be true of almost anywhere you choose to live in Atlanta.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,113 times
Great info everyone . Is is it safe to assume there are plenty of gated communities with pools /clubhouses in Smyrna and Vinings? Just thinking that would be a great feature given we won't know anyone in Atlanta ..

Last edited by Kingcobra; 04-20-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 PM

In Smyrna/Vinings, most class A apartments are gated communities - most SFR subdivisions are not. Newer subdivisions generally have swim and tennis. As for Townhome communities - you get a combination of both with newer townhomes. The older townhomes generally are not gated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta