Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 PM

421 posts, read 749,430 times

Advertisements

huh

Simpson Middle School - Marietta, Georgia - GA - School overview

This school is ranked perfect. People are probably running due to racial or economical demographics because apparently it scores high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
huh

Simpson Middle School - Marietta, Georgia - GA - School overview

This school is ranked perfect. People are probably running due to racial or economical demographics because apparently it scores high.
Within larger parameters, yes - it is perfect. It's a 10, as rated by "greatschools", etc. But when compared more closely to the other top 4 East Cobb schools, it's perceived to be "less".

The socio-economic demographics are exactly why this school scores slightly lower than the others. Its population, on average, is slightly "lower" on the SES scale than the population at the other four schools.

Given family SES always correlates extremely well with test scores, this is the dynamic you have here.

Some of the population at Simpson is perceived to be somewhat less "squeaky clean" than at the other schools, so some people turn their nose up.
This is really bad - but such things DO affect property values.

Crazy world we live in.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 AM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Where do you see that it is trending down? Test scores look to be trending up pretty much across the board there. 5th out of 28 in the county isn't exactly horrible either.
Exactly!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Within larger parameters, yes - it is perfect. It's a 10, as rated by "greatschools", etc. But when compared more closely to the other top 4 East Cobb schools, it's perceived to be "less".

The socio-economic demographics are exactly why this school scores slightly lower than the others. Its population, on average, is slightly "lower" on the SES scale than the population at the other four schools.

Given family SES always correlates extremely well with test scores, this is the dynamic you have here.

Some of the population at Simpson is perceived to be somewhat less "squeaky clean" than at the other schools, so some people turn their nose up.
This is really bad - but such things DO affect property values.

Crazy world we live in.
Ok, well there you have it. The schools is just fine but some parents don't like the background and likely race of the kids there. Here is a opportunity where you make the right decision as a parent and teach your child proper values.

Send him to Simpson. I am willing to bet that Simpson has a much more diverse group of students than the other schools both racially and economically. I am willing to bet the other schools are homogenous across the board for the most part. Give your child the better more rounded experience. Send him/her to the equally academic but more diverse school: Simpson.

He/She will have a much better and more well rounded experience. They will interact and be friends with kids from all kinds of walks of life. They will learn how to communicate with a variety of kids. They will make some of the best friends possible and meet the most uniques friends possible because they will be in a diverse setting.

Take it from me. I went to "academically similar, but more diverse across the board" schools in both middle and high school and I would not trade the experience if I could do it again. Looking back I appreciate being around different types of people from different backgrounds and cultures and making the best friends and associates I could have possibly made. I would not have been able to make the same friends or witness the same types of people at homogenous school. I am still friends with many of my high school friends because of that environment and I am in my late 20s. I had a choice of who I wanted to associate with and was able to reinvent myself in high school due to the diversity. When I go back to my home town now and talk to friends and associates that went to less diverse schools I learned they had a terrible experience because they were different from the rest and they didn't want to conform to someone they were not. They mention my diverse high schools and wish they had went so they had a chance for a better experience due to the social diversity.

Last edited by Freeminds; 04-19-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Simpson's population is very similar to Mabry and Hightower Trail.

For example, Mabry is 8% Black, Hightower Trail is 7% Black, and Simpson is 10% Black.

People--

*The only reason that some people are erroneously looking down on Simpson is because it does not purely feed into the big three: Lassiter, Walton, and Pope.

Simpson's feeder is 60% Lassiter and...(gasp!) 40% Sprayberry!

(And keep in mind: Sprayberry is a good school too.)

While Hightower Trail is 100% Pope; Mabry is 100% Lassiter; Dodgen is 60% Walton and 40% Pope; and Dickerson is 100% Walton.

Also, the feeder elementary schools are comparable and they are shared:

Simpson
Rocky Mount
Shallowford Falls
Mountain View
Kincaid
Addison

Hightower Trail
Shallowford Falls
Mountain View
Murdock
Tritt

Mabry
Rocky Mount
Garrison Mill
Davis

Dodgen
Kincaid
Murdock
Timber Ridge
East Side
Mount Bethel

Dickerson
Mount Bethel
Sope Creek
East Side

*Look above. See how all of East Cobb is linked?

Moreover...

Daniell
Kincaid
Addison
Blackwell
Chalker
Bells Ferry
Sedalia Park

East Cobb
Sope Creek
Sedalia Park
Eastvalley
Powers Ferry
Brumby

McCleskey
Blackwell
Keheley
Nicholson

Palmer
Chalker
Pitner
Kennesaw/Big Shanty

*Look above again (these are some of the other East Cobb middle schools--except Palmer). See how they are all linked--and even to the first 5?

And--Simpson is not a "lesser" school.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Also, I am not " squeaky clean" and have degree and a good job, so I'd want my kids to be in diverse school across the board if all else is essentially equal. I know how to appreciate and associate with all types of people due to it.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Ok, well there you have it. The schools is just fine but some parents don't like the background and likely race of the kids there. Here is a opportunity where you make the right decision as a parent and teach your child proper values.

Send him to Simpson. I am willing to bet that Simpson has a much more diverse group of students than the other schools both racially and economically. I am willing to bet the other schools are homogenous across the board for the most part. Give your child the better more rounded experience. Send him/her to the equally academic but more diverse school: Simpson.

Actually, Simpson is very similar demographically to the other four--especially Mabry and Hightower Trail. (see my post above)

This "issue" is more about what is perceived. Because Simpson does not totally feed into the "big three," some really weird people are starting to look down on it.

East Cobb is OK--but, since the mid-1990's, there is been a rising element of always trying to "one-up" other areas in East Cobb. (This is when Walton was featured in a national magazine, and when "rankings" started being published everywhere.)

Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Simpson's population is very similar to Mabry and Hightower Trail.

For example, Mabry is 8% Black, Hightower Trail is 7% Black, and Simpson is 10% Black.

People--

*The only reason that some people are erroneously looking down on Simpson is because it does not purely feed into the big three: Lassiter, Walton, and Pope.

Simpson's feeder is 60% Lassiter and...(gasp!) 40% Sprayberry!

(And keep in mind: Sprayberry is a good school too.)

While Hightower Trail is 100% Pope; Mabry is 100% Lassiter; Dodgen is 60% Walton and 40% Pope; and Dickerson is 100% Walton.

Also, the feeder elementary schools are comparable and they are shared:

Simpson
Rocky Mount
Shallowford Falls
Mountain View
Kincaid
Addison

Hightower Trail
Shallowford Falls
Mountain View
Murdock
Tritt

Mabry
Rocky Mount
Garrison Mill
Davis

Dodgen
Kincaid
Murdock
Timber Ridge
East Side
Mount Bethel

Dickerson
Mount Bethel
Sope Creek
East Side

*Look above. See how all of East Cobb is linked?

Moreover...

Daniell
Kincaid
Addison
Blackwell
Chalker
Bells Ferry
Sedalia Park

East Cobb
Sope Creek
Sedalia Park
Eastvalley
Powers Ferry
Brumby

McCleskey
Blackwell
Keheley
Nicholson

Palmer
Chalker
Pitner
Kennesaw/Big Shanty

*Look above again (these are some of the other East Cobb middle schools--except Palmer). See how they are all linked?

And--Simpson is not a "lesser" school.

Both Sprayberry and Lassiter have perfect or great rating ( 9-10). What the heck?

People are silly. OP needs to send their kids to the diverse schools if not for the benefits then to spite the other parents because they are clearly on par.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The weirdest thing about Simpson from my school bus driving days (almost 20 years ago, I am dating myself) was the district looked like a gerrymandered congressional district. From Piedmont Road to the Fulton line. It did not center an area like other schools do.

There is a story behind this. I will tell it later.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
When we were there our children were just starting Bells Ferry. The ex was starting to believe the hype and was trying to talk me into moving into the Pope district. I was just as happy for the kids to have a more real life experience and deal with Daniell and Sprayberry, good schools by my book even though they were seen as the red-headed step child among most East Cobbers. If it was going to be all that horrible, I would have preferred to stay in our area and go for Mt. Paran or Walker, but the move to Texas ensued and that bridge was never crossed, but enough of my drama.

There would have been no need for private.

The Bells Ferry, Daniell, Sprayberry Feeder is still good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta