Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,151,053 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much, Tarzanman. I didn't realize the train was nearby. Is there noise with whistles, etc.? And thanks for the insight on the foot traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I rent a place at the north end of morningside (just before the train tracks). I have been just under a year, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

You won't be getting 'wanderers' from Piedmont Park....partially because you have to walk uphill to access morningside from the park... partially because Va Highlands largely sits between morningside and piedmont park..... and partially because Monroe is a fairly busy street which is far easier to cross at 10th St (near Grady) than at Piedmont Ave. I imagine that the beltline entrance at that intersection also attracts more than a few wanderers.

I consider most everything south of the North Highland Ave/North Morningside Dr NE fork to be Virginia Highlands. I bicycle around the area about 3 or 4 times a month (somtimes more if it is warm) and the only wanderers I typically see are people walking their dogs, out with their baby strollers, or joggers.

On the other hand, the homes that abut the park west of Monroe (Orne Cir, Park Drive, etc) are constantly dealing with people entering and exiting Piedmont (or parking their cars on the street) at the Park Dr NE entrance.

As for political attitudes.... its never really come up in any of my conversations with folks around here. I think that people are less uptight about their leanings intown than in the suburbs (or maybe they wear them on their sleeves less).

I can't speak for Inman, but the home values around Morningside say all that you need to know about the demand.

Morningside is not diverse... at least not ethnically. You don't have to go far to find different kinds of people (supermarkets, shops), but the residents in morningside/lenox park are overwhelmingly affluent, educated caucasians.

Morningside is safe, but I find it a bit creepy at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM

163 posts, read 431,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Thank you Netsirk. I had not considered the proximity to the beltline! I agree with you about the prospects for increase in property value. What about diversity? What does it look like there when you are out perusing/enjoying the neighborhood. Thanks again!
For some perspective, again: I'm a white woman with a master's degree, so, I have a job and lifestyle that's reflective of that, and, again, I'm from northern Jersey. You absolutely have some diversity there. You have more diversity in NYC, where I spent most of my career up until now. I only say all this so that you understand where I'm coming from when I give you my opinion.

I find Atlanta on the whole to be more integrated, racially, in my daily life than I did NJ or even NYC. I think that's great. So, when I go out in Inman Park, I see a lot of people who seem like me in terms of education, profession, lifestyle, etc., but some of whom look like me and plenty of others who don't. There's a lot more white/black integration here. I probably see fewer Indians and Asians here than I did in NJ. But, for me, in the places I frequent, what's very cool about all of this is that no one seems to think twice about it.

As far as other types of diversity (outside racial), the edge of Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward has a bar (Jack's) that attracts a lot of tattooed, alternative types. I'm neither of those things, but when I go in there and sit at the bar and order a drink or four and some wings and pizza, I always have a good conversation and never feel out of place. Similarly, I'm straight, but run into a lot of gay/lesbians on my travels as well. And, the last of the usual frontiers: there's a good combo of singles and families, strollers and skateboards, old and young.

In short, all of this diversity is exactly what I like, so I'm happy with it. Diversity, of course, is so much more than what you look like, more than race, or sexual identity, or whether you're tatted-up and pierced all over, but it is an indicator of what real diversity is: freedom of and a spectrum of thought, ideas, and perspectives, an opportunity to use that breadth of experience to inform your world. My feeling is that Inman Park has all of this.

It's not for everyone. And I think that's okay; people have a right to their own preferences on how they want to live--as long, in my opinion, as they're not hateful and discriminatory about it, etc.

God knows, I got a few comments from (open-minded, seriously) northeasterner friends along the lines of, "Wow, Atlanta's a black town, are you going to fit in" when I stated that I was moving down. And it is a black town, in many ways, so I take that for a certain truth. I put this down to simple lack of knowledge about the whole of the town, and not malice--you just don't know what it's like to live in a place until you're doing it. I suspect that when these same friends visit, they'll be 100% on board with the richness that I believe it gives the place.

Anyway, I ramble. This weekend is supposed to be nice. Come take a walk through, stop and have a glass of wine outside at one of the restaurants, and soak up the atmosphere. It's what I also plan to do. :-)

Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,039,041 times
Quote:
Thank you very much, Tarzanman. I didn't realize the train was nearby. Is there noise with whistles, etc.? And thanks for the insight on the foot traffic.
The train tracks go under Cheshire Br Rd, across Lenox Rd and separate Morningside from Woodland Hills. There is noise, but you can only really hear it noticeably indoors in houses north of Peachtree Creek (labeled South Fork Peachtree Creek on Google maps) or the Morningside Nature Preserve.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Thanks Netsirk. I'm from Chicago and we like diversity too, and we think that it is important to raise our children to be comfortable around different groups of people, getting out of their own backyard type of stuff. So that sounds good. Safe area and good schools and diverse. Our only hang up is the trek from Buckhead so we'll see. Thank you, and I think that the idea of talking a walk through the area is a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
For some perspective, again: I'm a white woman with a master's degree, so, I have a job and lifestyle that's reflective of that, and, again, I'm from northern Jersey. You absolutely have some diversity there. You have more diversity in NYC, where I spent most of my career up until now. I only say all this so that you understand where I'm coming from when I give you my opinion.

I find Atlanta on the whole to be more integrated, racially, in my daily life than I did NJ or even NYC. I think that's great. So, when I go out in Inman Park, I see a lot of people who seem like me in terms of education, profession, lifestyle, etc., but some of whom look like me and plenty of others who don't. There's a lot more white/black integration here. I probably see fewer Indians and Asians here than I did in NJ. But, for me, in the places I frequent, what's very cool about all of this is that no one seems to think twice about it.

As far as other types of diversity (outside racial), the edge of Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward has a bar (Jack's) that attracts a lot of tattooed, alternative types. I'm neither of those things, but when I go in there and sit at the bar and order a drink or four and some wings and pizza, I always have a good conversation and never feel out of place. Similarly, I'm straight, but run into a lot of gay/lesbians on my travels as well. And, the last of the usual frontiers: there's a good combo of singles and families, strollers and skateboards, old and young.

In short, all of this diversity is exactly what I like, so I'm happy with it. Diversity, of course, is so much more than what you look like, more than race, or sexual identity, or whether you're tatted-up and pierced all over, but it is an indicator of what real diversity is: freedom of and a spectrum of thought, ideas, and perspectives, an opportunity to use that breadth of experience to inform your world. My feeling is that Inman Park has all of this.

It's not for everyone. And I think that's okay; people have a right to their own preferences on how they want to live--as long, in my opinion, as they're not hateful and discriminatory about it, etc.

God knows, I got a few comments from (open-minded, seriously) northeasterner friends along the lines of, "Wow, Atlanta's a black town, are you going to fit in" when I stated that I was moving down. And it is a black town, in many ways, so I take that for a certain truth. I put this down to simple lack of knowledge about the whole of the town, and not malice--you just don't know what it's like to live in a place until you're doing it. I suspect that when these same friends visit, they'll be 100% on board with the richness that I believe it gives the place.

Anyway, I ramble. This weekend is supposed to be nice. Come take a walk through, stop and have a glass of wine outside at one of the restaurants, and soak up the atmosphere. It's what I also plan to do. :-)

Last edited by LovelySummer; 04-03-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Everyone, is there a place like Inman Park (diverse, strong resale value, good public middle and/or high schools, safe) closer to Buckhead? Is this asking too much? Probably, huh?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Buckhead and Inman Park (or Morningside) aren't that far apart as the crow flies. If you're traveling in the morning, it takes longer, sure. When I lived in Buckhead, I didn't see the traffic going north from downtown (Inman Park area) because I was also going north from Buckhead.

That said, I head up the connector and peel off on 75 every morning to the Wildwood corporate park, and it takes me 18 to 22 minutes door to door. (I time this stuff, it's dorky.)

It's definitely heavier heading up 85 from there, but I still can't imagine that 85 to 400 is that terrible that it's taking you a ridiculous amount of time. The signs on the connector always say 7 to 9 minutes to 285 on 75, and 8 to 10 to 285 on 85. Is 400 that awful in the morning? When I commuted south from Buckhead on 400, I never noticed backups going the other way, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 PM

No, it's not bad. About 25 minutes in no traffic. But, I'm going to be traveling with a toddler and was trying to minimize the car time as much as possible so was hoping for more of a 10-15 minute type of ride over. Especially since we'll do this a few days a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Buckhead and Inman Park (or Morningside) aren't that far apart as the crow flies. If you're traveling in the morning, it takes longer, sure. When I lived in Buckhead, I didn't see the traffic going north from downtown (Inman Park area) because I was also going north from Buckhead.

That said, I head up the connector and peel off on 75 every morning to the Wildwood corporate park, and it takes me 18 to 22 minutes door to door. (I time this stuff, it's dorky.)

It's definitely heavier heading up 85 from there, but I still can't imagine that 85 to 400 is that terrible that it's taking you a ridiculous amount of time. The signs on the connector always say 7 to 9 minutes to 285 on 75, and 8 to 10 to 285 on 85. Is 400 that awful in the morning? When I commuted south from Buckhead on 400, I never noticed backups going the other way, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
No, it's not bad. About 25 minutes in no traffic. But, I'm going to be traveling with a toddler and was trying to minimize the car time as much as possible so was hoping for more of a 10-15 minute type of ride over. Especially since we'll do this a few days a week.
So, you know, you teach the kid patience. It's a blessing!

I'd say this: find a place you really like. All jokes aside, you can teach the child to deal with a car ride. Eventually, he or she will get a little older, and in the meantime, you can distract with music/movies/bad singing. I still remember my (at-the-time) three-year-old niece staring at her mother and me as we cranked the radio and sang to...Tiffany. In 2004. Never has a small child looked so disapproving.

Today, she's 12, and doesn't even remember it. It's a shame.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,896,622 times
Quote:
KFerq,
This is really valuable information. Thank you.
I guess I'm perplexed as to how Iman Middle can be ethnically diverse but the actual community of Morningside (and I thought) many of the areas that feed into Inman Middle, are not that diverse. Where does the diversity originate? Also, what are the issues to which you refer when you say the children react differently to a mix of children. Are there issues at Inman Middle that are not obvious to a non-parent? Are relations good between students.
The racial and social-economic diversity come from Hope-Hill E.S and Centennial E.S.
Quote:
Have you thought about taking MARTA? There is a preschool in Inman Park, right next to the Inman Park-Reyonoldstown Station, The Atlanta School. https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.75649...13937&t=m&z=17. We have neighbors that use this preschool and they give it high praise.
Its a short 20 minute train ride to either Buckhead or Lenox stations.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM

2,307 posts, read 3,000,221 times
We have families in all of the neighborhoods in Buckhead (Garden Hills, Peachtree Hills, that neighborhood around Memorial Park, Lenox Park, all of 30327 and 30305), a number from Brookwood Hills/Ansley Park/Collier Hills, and a number from Vinings, Chastain park, close-in Sandy Springs, and Brookhaven/Wieuca Rd. area...and then there are always a few families who make the drive from farther afield--but the closer neighborhoods are easier for playdates, etc. It depends on the school, for example, if you were going to Lovett, which is further to the west, you'd see more families from Vinings, Smyrna etc. Basically, draw a five mile radius around your school of choice and go from there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta