Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Tonight I stopped by the Best Buy on Sidney Marcus. That was built when, 2004 or so? It was pretty revolutionary at the time because as far as I know, that was the first ITP Best Buy. Before that, you had to go to Cumberland or Northlake.

So it's only been about 8 years or so that intown dwellers have been able to go to a Best Buy without going OTP. It was only last year or the year before that ITP got its own Costco.
The Northlake Best Buy is inside the perimeter, and has been in business for well over a decade now. Probably opened in the late 90's? I'm not sure that I'd consider a Best Buy a modern day convenience at this point . . . more like a neighborhood liability waiting to become an empty concrete box. Sure they only lost $250 million dollars last year, after losing over a billion the year before, but more and more stores will be shaved to try and get out of the red.

There has been a Sam's Club on Clairemont a lot longer than 2 years. Not sure why the brand name of the supermegamart makes a difference.

Last edited by red92s; 03-26-2013 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
The Northlake Best Buy is inside the perimeter, and has been in business for well over a decade now. Probably opened in the late 90's? I'm not sure that I'd consider a Best Buy a modern day convenience at this point . . . more like a neighborhood liability waiting to become an empty concrete box. Sure they only lost $250 million dollars last year, after losing over a billion the year before, but more and more stores will be shaved to try and get out of the red.
That's true. There was also a Best Buy on Roxboro, but it bit the dust several years ago.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,096,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's true. There was also a Best Buy on Roxboro, but it bit the dust several years ago.
Wasn't that a Circuit City?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,011,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post

There has been a Sam's Club on Clairemont a lot longer than 2 years. Not sure why the brand name of the supermegamart makes a difference.
Yeah, I'm trying to understand what makes a Best Buy or a Costco (which I love, don't get me wrong) as a "conveniences"? It's not as if there were no small electronics stores before Best Buy moved in or places where you could buy food (granted, not on palates like you can in Costco). Shouldn't this thread be changed to "Intown traditionally suburban big box offerings are relatively new".

I also agree that don't bet on Best Buy sticking around for long. The big electronics retailers are going the same route as record stores.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,145,346 times
I didn't realize Atlanta started developing from it's suburbs inward.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I didn't realize Atlanta started developing from it's suburbs inward.
I hear we might get a Red Robin soon!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to understand what makes a Best Buy or a Costco (which I love, don't get me wrong) as a "conveniences"? It's not as if there were no small electronics stores before Best Buy moved in or places where you could buy food (granted, not on palates like you can in Costco).
As for Costco, some people feel it is more convenient to buy five metric tons of cat litter in one trip than to buy it in smaller quantities over the course of many trips.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Tonight I stopped by the Best Buy on Sidney Marcus. That was built when, 2004 or so? It was pretty revolutionary at the time because as far as I know, that was the first ITP Best Buy. Before that, you had to go to Cumberland or Northlake.
The Northlake Best Buy is ITP.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Another thing is the reason why IMO Atlanta is the way it is is because most people that move here would rather buy a big house in the suburbs because it's cheaper than where they just came from instead of moving downtown.
Also, alot of people that move here are coming from smaller towns in the Southeast, and frankly, just aren't city people. For some people, the burbs are the closest thing to their college town, and they buy into the "oh no downtown is dangerous" hype they hear from their neighbors.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 512,190 times
I am always a pessimist in this front: most areas in Atlanta and the floormap of Chains are not suited for urban
developments.

If I design for a big urban project, I can either find a very dense area to build some shopping centers or have a vacant area and build from scratch. Atlanta does not have too much of the former type to begin with so the latter is more popular here. Then I will need some area close to tranportation facilities. Cydney Marcus area is an example but the developer (s) screwed it up and attract tenants that are not meant for urban living. It gets target and Best Buy and Home Depot. It is convenient for the landloard to fill empty spaces at once but the move is not to promote urban living. Think what a trouble it is to walk around these big three and then carry the stuffs back. This is not meant for the locals but people with a car from other areas. I think more appropriate tenants are mom-and-pop shops, say restaurants, coffee shops where people and relax. But I guess the rents are too high for these start-ups.

Then we talk about the apartment/condo demand for Atlantans. Sadly, most Americans did not grow up in these boxes and do not like living there forever. A single college grad may want to try the concept for a while but when he/she grows older and has a family, he/she is thinking about a backyard for kids. So the demand for small flats is limited and the tenants,always rotating, donot have a long-term stake in it.

I think the West Mid-town area and the Buckhead Village are more suited for urban development due to its proximity to the core city and a good restaurants base. But I am just an ameteur......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta