Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where in metro ATL do you live?
Core 18 50.00%
Inner suburbs 10 27.78%
Outer suburbs 7 19.44%
Exurbs 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:45 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times

Advertisements

I refused to vote in the other poll because it used the useless terms ITP/OTP. As a Smyrna resident, I want to point out that I-285 is not a perfect circle. We're closer than many ITP areas to midtown/downtown. North Buckhead, for instance. So that's a red-herring on a poll.

In leiu of my ATP post, how about this instead:
  • Core - e.g. West End to Edgewood, Berkely Park to Langford Pkwy. MUST be same street grid as downtown.
    Inner suburbs - e.g. Buckhead, Brookhaven, Decatur, Austell, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Forest Park, Druid Hills, Dunwoody, Vinings, Doraville, Tucker, East Point, College Park, etchttps://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • Outer suburbs - e.g. Roswell, Marietta, Lake City, Fairburn, Conyers, Stone Mountain, Stockbridge, Union City, Morrow, Alpharetta, Kennessaw, Norcross, Duluth, John's Creek, Sandtown, Powder Springs, Douglasvillehttps://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • Exurbs - e.g. Cartersville, Canton, Woodstock, Cummings, Suwannee, Gainesville, McDonough, Peachtree City, Covington, Carollton, Villa Rica, Dallas, Emerson, Newnan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Between Inner Suburbs and Outer Suburbs, there should be another category called "Middle Suburbs" or something.

A lot of your examples in Outer Suburbs are not "Outer" at all.

And--a lot your examples in the Exurbs are really Outer Suburbs; some may even be considered Middle Suburbs.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
I would think that Druid Hills is pretty "core". Can't really imagine referring to it as "suburbs". I think, too, that much of Buckhead is "core" and not "inner suburb". Certainly the Buckhead business district along Peachtree would be part of the core. Atlanta's longitudinal configuration makes it difficult to define areas by how far they are from, say, Woodruff Park. I tend to consider anything along Peachtree up to perhaps Phipps as part of the core.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
I think the inner core should include all intown, streetcar suburbs. Eg: Candler Park, Grant Park, Decatur, Druid Hills, Morningside.
Downtown has 2 street grid patterns. Fairlie-Popular is 45 degrees from the rest of Downtown.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Core, although your stipulation that it has to be on the same street grid as downtown doesn't make sense.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
No, it doesn't. If that were the case, the population would be very small in the "core". I consider myself in the core, but my neighborhood is in an area of midtown with absolutely NO street grid. More like a bowl of spaghetti...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times
We already have this thread.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I think the inner core should include all intown, streetcar suburbs. Eg: Candler Park, Grant Park, Decatur, Druid Hills, Morningside.
Seems like the "inner core" would include all the early streetcar suburbs. For example, the trolley went to Buckhead in 1907 and resulted in a huge boom in neighborhoods along Peachtree such as Garden Hills, Brookwood, Peachtree Hills, Buckhead Village, Peachtree Battle, Haynes Manor, Ardmore, West Paces Ferry, etc.

Other early suburbs linked to the streetcars include Lakewood, Maddox Park, Emory. East Lake, Capitol View, Oakland City, etc.

Ansley is correct that for the past century Atlanta's core has really been a linear one centered around Peachtree.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems like the "inner core" would include all the early streetcar suburbs. For example, the trolley went to Buckhead in 1907 and resulted in a huge boom in neighborhoods along Peachtree such as Garden Hills, Brookwood, Peachtree Hills, Buckhead Village, Peachtree Battle, Haynes Manor, Ardmore, West Paces Ferry, etc.

Other early suburbs linked to the streetcars include Lakewood, Maddox Park, Emory. East Lake, Capitol View, Oakland City, etc.

Ansley is correct that for the past century Atlanta's core has really been a linear one centered around Peachtree.
I completely agree with adding those to the list of inner core. Buckhead should be inner core too, it was just developed into estate homes for the rich so there are large plots.
Inner Core= early streetcar suburbs?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,275 times
I'm guessing East Atlanta is core? I mean the parts outside of the Village, which clearly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta