Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done with the 285/400 interchange?
Completely rebuild it from the ground up. 10 35.71%
Rebuild the worst ramps. 11 39.29%
Make minor cosmetic changes, such as reassigning lanes. 0 0%
Do nothing. We have bigger fish to fry. 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,693,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Because they were not getting a rail extension and the NAACP told them to vote against it!
Well that is what they get for listening to the NAACP. I do not vote by what La Raza says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,912,634 times
Quote:
Well that is what they get for listening to the NAACP. I do not vote by what La Raza says.
True dat! South DeKalb is very deserving of a rail extension, they have been paying decades of sales taxes and have always been behind MARTA, unlike many in North Fulton.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM

126 posts, read 232,181 times
They're building collector-distributor lanes on I-20 East from I-285 to Wesley Chapel (and maybe Panola, but it doesn't look that way), but I doubt they'll do too much to ease traffic in that area.

I feel like if GDOT rebuilds this interchange, everything's going to go. The interchange has the same design it had when it opened nearly 50 years ago, and I feel like they'll look at that as a chance to build a monument to Atlanta's roads, whether it was too much building or not. Plus, it looks like the project could potentially cut into the exit space for Glenridge Drive and Peachtree-Dunwoody Road. That could potentially require a redesign of all three exits and their bridges (maybe even Johnson Ferry on 400 too), which could be a problem. The cost alone could make them just say "Screw it, let's just redesign it all."

Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,693,797 times
Quote:
True dat! South DeKalb is very deserving of a rail extension, they have been paying decades of sales taxes and have always been behind MARTA, unlike many in North Fulton.
I agree they need at least one line in SE. Ideally they would have another with all of the undeveloped land around Jonesboro & Moreland.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,912,634 times
Quote:
I feel like if GDOT rebuilds this interchange, everything's going to go. The interchange has the same design it had when it opened nearly 50 years ago, and I feel like they'll look at that as a chance to build a monument to Atlanta's roads, whether it was too much building or not. Plus, it looks like the project could potentially cut into the exit space for Glenridge Drive and Peachtree-Dunwoody Road. That could potentially require a redesign of all three exits and their bridges (maybe even Johnson Ferry on 400 too), which could be a problem. The cost alone could make them just say "Screw it, let's just redesign it all."
Let's not forget that MARTA's Red Line is also in the vicinity, underground to the SE of the interchange.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,249,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I agree they need at least one line in SE. Ideally they would have another with all of the undeveloped land around Jonesboro & Moreland.
Is that land undeveloped due to a nature preserve or prior land use? Or is it just that undesirable?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 AM

7,364 posts, read 6,547,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Putting a high-capacity rail line where it serves no one is the best way to generate more anti-transit sentiment.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,169,583 times
Quote:
Let's not forget that MARTA's Red Line is also in the vicinity, underground to the SE of the interchange.
Um, the MARTA line is more than half a mile away and mostly above-ground at this point.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,169,583 times
Quote:
Replace the 2 ramps that merge traffic into the 'fast lanes' and keep the rest the of the interchange. rehab the bridges some, but for god sake the interchange does not need to be a huge concrete monster. The only reason Deal picked this to be his priority is because it leads into the Republican strong hold of the metro! I-20 in South DeKalb is in greater need of congestion relief, but I don't see Deal giving hundreds of millions to build a MARTA line there.
Unfortunately there is some truth to this. Both the 285/20 interchanges have a couple ramps that desperately need to be rebuilt, but we don't hear Deal clamoring for that.

I offer the Cobb Cloverleaf as a good example of how an interchange can be improved without completely rebuilding it. The original I-285 lanes became C/D lanes, and they added the 75S -> 285E flyover as the main alternative to the much more dangerous cloverleaf (and kept it because of Windy Hill). 75N also has a ramp stub to a future flyover to 285W, should it ever be needed in the future.

Don't get me wrong, everyone, 285/400 definitely needs improvements as well. I just don't see the need of tearing down the parts that do work in addition to those that don't.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:51 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,889,943 times
i think there are bigger priorities, but honestly if you're going to do something about it the whole thing has to be rebuilt. the thing is a mess— there are only two unobstructed lanes going northbound and southbound on 400 and if you ditch those the whole damn thing has got to go because they sandwich the rest of the interchange.

what i'm very curious to see are the concepts or drawings for the redesign— if you are familiar with the interchange, the hammond drive bridge was built in an unusual way to be able to carry about 3 additional lanes on both sides, so they must have had a pretty good idea what they were going to do when they built that. barring that one, about 3 or 4 exits are going to have to be integrated into the entire thing and it's going to be a pretty complex system. seeing as 400 is not even an interstate, initially i was not sure if a multi-layer stack interchange was going to be necessary, but seeing how many exits are going to have to be integrated into the system, it may become the only solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta