Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 PM

178 posts, read 528,497 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me are these areas growing fast? In stockbridge..the change down here is drastic and I think on the news they said Henry county is the 1 fastest growing area period.

I think the Loganville area is nice and just wanted some info, as well as Grayson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,685 times
I have lived in Loganville for about 6 years. The area has changed very much. Development and sprawl continue to expand eastward. The population of the schools in Grayson and South Gwinnett are exploding. With all the added people comes lots of added choices in housing, shopping, and dining. There is a great deal of development under way along 78 from Snellville to inside Walton County. You will find very affordable housing, with probably a greater variety of more upscale and expensive homes north of 78. The area has an okay selection of parks to include Lenora Park, Bay Creek Park, West Walton Park, and a few other smaller parks. There isn't really a lot of distinguishing characteristics to each area as there are just an abundance of subdivisions and chain restaurants and such. I'm not necessarily trying to paint a negative picture, but it is much like any other suburb of Atlanta. On a positive note, construction is underway on an expansion of highway 78 in Snellville, which should make the commute inbound a little better. Grayson traffic on Ga 20 has been an absolute nightmare for the last few years, but it is also being widened to 4 lanes which should make an enormous difference until development gets the green light where there has been a rather extensive moratorium on new sewer hookups that will expire in 2008 I believe.
Henry County is fastest growing in terms of percentages. It has a population of 200k, give or take a little where Gwinnett is well over 700k. Raw numbers would show that Gwinnett is growing faster. You will find that the hottest areas for growth and development are the areas that are closer to other counties... Loganville, Grayson, Dacula, Buford. This is part of a trend to get further and further away from Atlanta, yet be within something that resembles a reasonable commuting distance. It seems each year that commute raises by 10 minutes or so and people keep accepting it.
My 2 cents... hope that helps.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
I have lived in Loganville for about 6 years. The area has changed very much. Development and sprawl continue to expand eastward. The population of the schools in Grayson and South Gwinnett are exploding. With all the added people comes lots of added choices in housing, shopping, and dining. There is a great deal of development under way along 78 from Snellville to inside Walton County. You will find very affordable housing, with probably a greater variety of more upscale and expensive homes north of 78. The area has an okay selection of parks to include Lenora Park, Bay Creek Park, West Walton Park, and a few other smaller parks. There isn't really a lot of distinguishing characteristics to each area as there are just an abundance of subdivisions and chain restaurants and such. I'm not necessarily trying to paint a negative picture, but it is much like any other suburb of Atlanta. On a positive note, construction is underway on an expansion of highway 78 in Snellville, which should make the commute inbound a little better. Grayson traffic on Ga 20 has been an absolute nightmare for the last few years, but it is also being widened to 4 lanes which should make an enormous difference until development gets the green light where there has been a rather extensive moratorium on new sewer hookups that will expire in 2008 I believe.
Henry County is fastest growing in terms of percentages. It has a population of 200k, give or take a little where Gwinnett is well over 700k. Raw numbers would show that Gwinnett is growing faster. You will find that the hottest areas for growth and development are the areas that are closer to other counties... Loganville, Grayson, Dacula, Buford. This is part of a trend to get further and further away from Atlanta, yet be within something that resembles a reasonable commuting distance. It seems each year that commute raises by 10 minutes or so and people keep accepting it.
My 2 cents... hope that helps.

Thanks alot for the feedback....I believe Grayson has a very good school system and i believe I think it is South Gwinett isn't to bad at all either...or can someone correct me if i'm wrong?

I did go to the Avenues down 78, nice shopping area and really all the way down 78 you can find most everything you need.

I was looking at a house off Rosebud, and was wondering if anyone knows the commute to Roswell....i work off exit 8 Mansell....my current communte is from Ellenwood or Stockbridge...i work 7-4pm but really to whenever....the morning commute i don't see being an issue, but the ride home i'm not sure about...i know i will need to find all the alternative routes as well

Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,505 times
I'm in the "Between" area and both are very nice although more crowded than I like. I try not to go too far into Loganville, like past West Walton Parks, where we practically live. Haven't heard much complaints about schools, I have one in a Loganville school and 3 in a Monroe school and we are happy.

Editing to add that I noticed you were looking at the Rosebud area. That is definately to far down 78 for me...too much traffic. For shopping I never go into Snellville if I can avoid, would much rather go to Athens.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I'm in the "Between" area and both are very nice although more crowded than I like. I try not to go too far into Loganville, like past West Walton Parks, where we practically live. Haven't heard much complaints about schools, I have one in a Loganville school and 3 in a Monroe school and we are happy.

Editing to add that I noticed you were looking at the Rosebud area. That is definately to far down 78 for me...too much traffic. For shopping I never go into Snellville if I can avoid, would much rather go to Athens.

Thanks alot

How far is Athens...i never been there..but always had the thought that it was far out..haha

and rosebud wasn't to bad out there...the only way i know so far is to hit Athens highway..then like 1-2 lights (if that )your in Grayson..then about 1-2 lights your in Snellville

Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike929 View Post
Thanks alot

How far is Athens...i never been there..but always had the thought that it was far out..haha

and rosebud wasn't to bad out there...the only way i know so far is to hit Athens highway..then like 1-2 lights (if that )your in Grayson..then about 1-2 lights your in Snellville

I'm right in the middle of Athens and Snellville..so about a half hour down 78 either way...I always head east

Old 10-15-2007, 03:56 PM

I live off of Rosebud Road, south of 78. My wife has to commute to Sandy Springs occasionally in the morning. You should not give yourself anything less than 90 minutes in rush hour. There really isn't a good alternative. Where we live, we can take Pate Road / Springdale / Hewatt (all the same road, different names) to 78, which is a little better than coming straight to 78 from rosebud. You come out much closer to Stone Mountain and can avoid Snellville. The schools are not very bad in either. My son attends Snellville Middle and we have been pleased, other than terrible overcrowding which you will see anywhere within Gwinnett County. Athens is only about a 30 minute drive, with very little traffic. It is a lot easier than driving to Atlanta, you just have more to see and do in Atlanta.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM

thanks Happymom4 and Steven2149

Well I have to be at work at 7am so I don't think traffic at that time would be to bad...ummm will it?

are there any plans for all the traffic? or is it just another "future" plan we will have to wait and see??

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM

That would be the best time to get to work. My wife is in a good situation and noone really cares or notices if she rolls in around 9 or so. A large number, if not most, employers are cognisant (did i spell that right) of the fact that this is one of the worst areas in the country for traffic congestion, so they are usually understandable. If you leave at 5:45, you should be able to make Roswell pretty easily. DO NOT LEAVE much later than that. There are always plans for the traffic, but unfortunately, nothing centers on mass transit. Due to the way the region has developed, the center of everything will continue be roadways. Mass transit will not be as important here as it should because you have so many government agencies with their own personal interests. Some are for, some are against, but it is my understanding that everyone must be on the same page. At some point, maybe in our lifetime, there are plans/hopes/pipe dreams/ whatever, for commuter rail from Athens to Downtown. I don't know why the idea hasn't been pushed aggressively other than the exponential cost of putting it all together. Right now, there is a pretty extensive project underway on Highway 78 from Snellville to Stone Mountain. IN the past they have had these reversible lanes, where you will have 3 lanes in one direction and 2 the other, depending on the time of the day. There will be medians constructed and 3 lanes in each direction at all times. There is a lot of skepticism about this, as it is the same type of project that was done on Memorial Drive in Decatur/ Stone Mountain. Many, many businesses closed after the project made turning from the opposite side of the road too difficult. The highway 78 corridor has been suffering from lost businesses already. Some areas seem to be doing well, while others have several vacant boxes. The impact on traffic is expected to be significant, but I don't know how. I guess thats why i'm not a traffic engineer.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM

thanks for the info Steven2149...basically my morning commute would be fine...leavaing at that time of morning..i think your good coming from anywhere..haha...the commute home..well that will be the "joy" trip

sounds like nothing will be done anytime soon...Atlanta period is just growing at an exponational pace and noone can keep up with the change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta