Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 AM

34 posts, read 60,866 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Atlanta for graduate school and these two are on my list. I know GSU has a reputable grad school and as for Clark I am mainly interested because it's cheaper coming in as an out of state resident and I kind of like the fact that it's an HBCU (historically black colleges & universities). However I've heard that Spelman and Morehouse overshadow Clark and thus have heard mixed reviews as far as the school's reputation, that it's a party school, ghetto, etc. I visited this campus 5 years ago when I considered it for undergrad and to be honest I was not that impressed by the overall presentation but I would like to be able to consider it. I am pursuing a masters in public administration in which Emory does not offer a degree in. University of Georgia does but I would like to stay in the Atlanta area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
Could you move here first, get a job and establish residency? I wouldn't overpay for a masters in public administration, given the condition of governments and government funded organization these days. Non-profits aren't doing so well either. You would have to register to vote here, get a GA driver's license etc. And be here for at least a year before applying/registering.

Petition for Georgia Tuition Classification — Office of the Registrar — Enrollment Services — Georgia State University

If you are over 24, your residency will be based on you, not your parents. I would research what it takes to become in-state.

Also, where do you imagine living once you are done? While degrees are portable, you might consider the connections you can make in grad school and head to that area

Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Probably GSU as they are ranked in that area.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM

924 posts, read 1,455,428 times
Georgia also has a campus in Atlanta so you don't have to completely rule that out(assuming they do your major at that campus, I am not sure).

Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Gsu

Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 AM

20 posts, read 37,844 times
GSU is probably a better bet because of the networking you'll get to do within the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies. That's a pretty big department, and I'm sure its professors have connections with different Atlanta policy makers and the like. Meeting the right person in the department could lead to a potential job in the future. Of course, being at a bigger school can mean less individualized attention from professors and more competition for assistantships and jobs, but because the program and department are ranked, I'm sure you'll find lots of opportunities.

Having attended an HBCU for undergrad, I have a greater affinity toward Clark. I don't know a whole lot about the school, but a friend that's there for grad school says that it's a good place. The area of Atlanta where the school is located is middling - it's partially ghetto, but Castleberry Hill is nearby (which is a cool area), and there are nice parts on Northside Dr. and Lowery Blvd. I will say this about Clark being a party school: it's not that big of a deal. Since you're there for grad school (and assuming you're not living on campus), the parties won't bother you as much. I attend West Georgia for grad school, and the countless parties they have here haven't bothered me at all.

I hope this post helps in your decision-making process, and don't hesitate to contact me if you're ever looking for a friend in the metro!

Last edited by dbowe4415; 11-12-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,372 times
It would be easier and cheaper to move here, establish residency, and then go to GSU for grad school. I know several people that I attended CAU for grad school, so I don't have anything against the school or their programs. However, the school itself is more expensive than GSU's in-state tuition if you don't any scholarships, grants, or fellowships. You can do essentially the same thing with an MPA from either school, so it is best to go with the cheaper route.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM

472 posts, read 809,334 times
Public administration would be best done at Georgia State. Andrew Young school of Policy Studies is a great program.

Stay away from Clark like the plague. What you've heard at Clark is absolutely correct. Spelman and Morehouse lap Clark a thousand times before a Clark student can even get a job. In this market, it's something you should consider. I certainly would not pay for their graduate education. GSU also offers better financial aid to it's graduate students.

GSU hands down.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 AM

472 posts, read 809,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Georgia also has a campus in Atlanta so you don't have to completely rule that out(assuming they do your major at that campus, I am not sure).
The Terry Business School at the Atlanta campus may not offer programs in Public Administration. I believe OP would enroll with the School of Public and International Affairs. UGA would definitely give you better prospects. You're mastering in a competitive field. However, GSU is good too.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM

34 posts, read 60,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
No, I just checked and they don't offer my program on the Atlanta campus Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta