Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM

7,584 posts, read 10,842,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Something isn't right, here.

If they rented the building....well, that's just tough. There's no guarantee that your lease will ever be renewed and that's the risk you take by renting and not owning. If you decide to remodel and sink significant money into a property you don't own, you have to know that you might lose some or all of that investment.

If they own the building, they can argue that what they have done to the building has increased its value and demand fair market value for what the building is worth with the improvements. They could probably tie that up in court for years, and I'm sure the state would just pay a fair value to avoid that.

It's hard to aruge that a small venue in a Douglasville strip mall is important to the Atlanta metro music scene.

If you think that is bad, think about what happened to the poor people who ran Vision. They dropped millions of dollars on the space and made it absolutely beautiful as anybody who went to Vision surely remembers. Then a year or two later they were told, "Oh, we're turning this space into condos now. And we don't want a club here, so pack it up and get out." I don't know how much they were able to salvage, but I'm sure they weren't happy.
If they own... I think part of the problem that is making this worse...

It is a non-profit and is religious oriented at that and probably did alot with donations.

The problem is they probably made improvements that didn't affect the land value. They didn't build or rehab a building; they built a small stage with A/V equipment for a small concern, which isn't a profitable to any business seeking to buy or rent the space.

I'm still curious about the own-lease situation. If they lease; their gripe is with the owner.

I'm also confused that he said park this time and not a road improvement...

That changed... and alot.

Is it a state park?

If it is just a typical public park it is a local planning issue. They have every right to convince the city of Douglasville that venue is just too important to the music community there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,892,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So, because he doesn't necessarily support this cause, you're going to jump straight to conclusions and assume he really isn't into music and only cares about bands that play at higher-class venues?

That's a great way to gain support there, champ. Keep going.
Nope, becuase he never heard or the venue and doesn't know its importance. Big difference.

Also, please. You are the last person to give this advice to on this forum.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,187,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I made a typo do to auto-correct.

If you are only into rap or top 40 then you would not know.
Again, you're making erroneous and narrow-minded assumptions because I fail to see why I should support this cause. You don't know me so don't make silly assumptions like this. It's highly immature and tells me a lot about your character.

You even said yourself that this was for smaller bands. Sorry to say, but there are thousands, maybe even millions of small bands out there trying to make it too. What makes you think I will have the chance to listen to them all, let alone some small bands playing at a small town like Douglasville?

You still have failed to convince me otherwise and in fact, made yourself even less worthy of being supported.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
If they own... I think part of the problem that is making this worse...

It is a non-profit and is religious oriented at that and probably did alot with donations.

The problem is they probably made improvements that didn't affect the land value. They didn't build or rehab a building; they built a small stage with A/V equipment for a small concern, which isn't a profitable to any business seeking to buy or rent the space.

I'm still curious about the own-lease situation. If they lease; their gripe is with the owner.

I'm also confused that he said park this time and not a road improvement...

That changed... and alot.

Is it a state park?

If it is just a typical public park it is a local planning issue. They have every right to convince the city of Douglasville that venue is just too important to the music community there.

You bring up a good point about the ownership. Now I'm curious.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Again, you're making erroneous and narrow-minded assumptions because I fail to see why I should support this cause. You don't know me so don't make silly assumptions like this. It's highly immature and tells me a lot about your character.

You even said yourself that this was for smaller bands. Sorry to say, but there are thousands, maybe even millions of small bands out there trying to make it too. What makes you think I will have the chance to listen to them all, let alone some small bands playing at a small town like Douglasville?

You still have failed to convince me otherwise and in fact, made yourself even less worthy of being supported.

I'm not here to convince any one of anything. If you don't really care about supporting the arts then move along.

Quote:

Lol, this is funny. I not even sure how you not liking underground or heavy music has anything to do with helping small bands" tying to make it". All the bands you hear on the radio start of at places like this and tour them. If you have no interest in that type of thing move along.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Nope, becuase he never heard or the venue and doesn't know its importance. Big difference.

Also, please. You are the last person to give this advice to on this forum.
Importance to a one....small...town. People in Alpharetta aren't going to hear about this...people in Buford aren't going to hear about this place. Just Douglasville and areas around it. You highly over exaggerated this by stating it is important to the entire metropolitan area of Atlanta. If it was that important, I or he would have heard it at some point in my life like I have heard Tabernacle or Masquerade.

Why? Because I'm more logical then most of the people on this forum? You're the one making the silly assumptions and making subtle insults at people.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not here to convince any one of anything. If you don't really care about supporting the arts then move along.

Lol, this is funny. I not even sure how you not liking underground or heavy music has anything to do with helping small bands" tying to make it". All the bands you hear on the radio start of at places like this and tour them. If you have no interest in that type of thing move along.
Because you made the assumption that I don't like underground music simply because you have failed to convince me to support this cause.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Importance to a one....small...town. People in Alpharetta aren't going to hear about this...people in Buford aren't going to hear about this place. Just Douglasville and areas around it. You highly over exaggerated this by stating it is important to the entire metropolitan area of Atlanta. If it was that important, I or he would have heard it at some point in my life like I have heard Tabernacle or Masquerade.

Why? Because I'm more logical then most of the people on this forum? You're the one making the silly assumptions and making subtle insults at people.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

This venue hosts national tours and local bands from all over Georgia. It doesn't just cater to folk to in Douglasville? Are you insane? Most of the people at the shows like myself aren't from Douglasville and with bigger shows it gets folks from neighboring states. This is hilarious.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Because you made the assumption that I don't like underground music simply because you have failed to convince me to support this cause.
Brother, if I have to sell you the idea to send a e-mail to keep a Small-Midsized venue open then

1. You don't care about the arts.

2. You don't care enough about underground music anyway.

I'm not trying to convince someone to support a venue that host a art form they care anything about. Plenty enough do and see the benifit for their scene.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,139,735 times
I just don't understand how a music venue in Douglasville matters.

It looks like they host mostly what they call "hardcore" bands.

I'm not quite sure what that means, exactly, but any metal or punk band worth their salt would play at a place like the Earl, Variety Playhouse, the 529, or even a place like the Tabernacle or Masquerade.

I hate to tell you, but if this place holds 1200 people, that means it is a larger venue than the Masquerade, so I don't see how bands that can't play there can play here. At least I don't think I've ever seen 1200 people at the Masquerade (I'm terrible at estimating numbers in crowds).

Yeah, it's sad to see someone who is trying to contribute something positive to the community get the shaft. I just don't see how it is an important venue to the Atlanta music scene. Maybe it's important to the Douglasville scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta