Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times

Advertisements

Are you voting YES or NO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 12:54 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
I'm voting yes.

It seems to me that the main people against this are the local school boards. If they were doing such a great job, why would the parents want more options?

I think competition can be a good thing, and if the local school boards have gotten too complacent and really fear competition so much, that seems to say something about them.

I do understand the argument that it may take away some money from traditional public schools, but I just also think that if something is broken, throwing more money at it will not necessarily fix it. And there have been examples of successful charter schools operating with much lower money than regular schools. If that's what the parents want, they should have that choice imo.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times
I am voting "no"...or should I say I have voted "no".

Charter schools are no panacea for solving the education problems in this country, let alone in Georgia. And there are many examples where charter schools produced not much of a noticeable difference in the test scores of children.

And most significantly, this new State Charter Commission if constitutionally ratified, will be an unelected agency and answerable to no one but potentially the Governor. Bad idea in my opinion, given the lousy track record of the state political leadership in managing the affairs of Georgia in modern times.

I find it telling that there are states out there like Vermont, who rather than do the piecemeal "every man for himself" approach to education reform, have actually chosen to improve their entire system with great results...rather than even countenance the thought of a charter school. The incredible confidence Vermont has in its statewide education system is such that its leaders have chosen to forsake this nonsensical and ill-advised "competition is God" ideology that the charter school system and the federal "Race to the Top" program would force onto them.

But of course, our hubba-bubba state can't or won't even take off the horse blinders to see what other states like Vermont are doing in the area of education transformation. And they certainly won't see how those lessons can be best applied to Georgia's situation.

So we average citizens are forced to endure this everlasting hamster cage of non-reform imposed on us by a corporate media that refuses to look at all of the angles, wealthy conservatives & their thinktank foundations like ALEC who are able to take advantage of the information void and buy off a lot of influential people pivotal to the vote, and finally a collection of suburban & rural politicians who have no real desire to make government work for everyone...only for the well-off and politically-connected.

Oh yeah, did I say I have voted "no"?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-28-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I am voting "no".

Charter schools are no panacea for solving the education problem in this country, let alone in Georgia. And there are many examples where charter schools produced not much of a noticeable difference in the test scores of children.
If the results are better or no worse, then I'd take the chance and go with Charter.

Quote:
And most significantly, this State Charter Commission will be an unelected agency and answerable to no one but potentially the Governor. Bad idea, given the lousy track record of the state political leadership in managing the affairs of Georgia in modern times.
The State Charter Commission sounds like it will work like our BOR. Maybe removing politics and union influence would help our schools. Our university and technical college system are burdened by unprepared students to whom post-secondary schools have to finally give the education the students should have had in high school.

Quote:
I find it telling that there are states out there like Vermont, who rather than do the piecemeal "every man for himself" approach to education reform, have actually chosen to improve their entire system with great results...rather than even countenance the thought of a charter school. The incredible confidence Vermont has in its statewide education system is such that its leaders have chosen to forsake this nonsensical and ill-advised "competition is God" approach that the charter school system and the federal "Race to the Top" program would force onto them.

But of course, our hubba-bubba state can't or won't even take off the horse blinders to see what other states like Vermont are doing in the area of education transformation and how those lessons can be best applied to Georgia.

So we average citizens are force to endure this hamster cage of non-reform imposed on us by a corporate media that refuses to look at all of the angles, wealthy conservatives & their thinktank foundations like ALEC who are able to take advantage of the information void and buy off a lot of influential people pivotal to the vote, and finally a collection of suburban & rural politicians who have no real desire to make government work for everyone.
Maybe, but Vermont is around 98% white. In Georgia we are 60% white 30% black, 10% other. You'd think education is straight forward but there are cultural issues as to content and style of teaching. On top of that there is resistance to academic success as being "white" within the young black community. I'd feel better about an alternative approach if it was shown to work across cultures. I don't have a problem with the competitive nature of the Charter system because...sorry kids...that is the nature of the real world. Is there something that summarizes the Vermont philosophy...other than "improving the entire system"? That doesn't say much to me other than throw more money at the problem by hiring more teachers and paying them more.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Maybe, but Vermont is around 98% white. In Georgia we are 60% white 30% black, 10% other. You'd think education is straight forward but there are cultural issues as to content and style of teaching. On top of that there is resistance to academic success as being "white" within the young black community. I'd feel better about an alternative approach if it was shown to work across cultures. I don't have a problem with the competitive nature of the Charter system because...sorry kids...that is the nature of the real world. Is there something that summarizes the Vermont philosophy...other than "improving the entire system"? That doesn't say much to me other than throw more money at the problem by hiring more teachers and paying them more.
Bullocks on the homogenous excuse, I'd say.

Why do you conservative-leaning types keep throwing that nonsense out there I will never understand. The KIPP Academies have disabuse this silly notion that inner-city children of color won't learn to the same effect as their other ethnic peers.

In reality, I would say that the only real role that race that may have in preventing reform here in Georgia is because far too many southern-born white & black Georgians than not are acculturated & socialized to not truly working with each other...politically & as well as socially. Which is due to Georgia and the south's less than stellar past & recent history with regards to race relations.

When enough baby boomers and older generations leave this mortal plane of existence and the later generations are able to take the reigns of political & economic power in whole, hopefully there will be more open-minds to finding ways to honestly reform education in Georgia.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Bullocks on the homogenous excuse, I'd say.

Why do you conservative-leaning types keep throwing that nonsense out there I will never understand. The KIPP Academies have disabuse this silly notion that inner-city children of color won't learn to the same effect as their other ethnic peers.

In reality, I would say that the only real role that race that may have in preventing reform here in Georgia is because far too many southern-born white & black Georgians than not are acculturated & socialized to not truly working with each other...politically & as well as socially. Which is due to Georgia and the south's less than stellar past & recent history with regards to race relations.

When enough baby boomers and older generations leave this mortal plane of existence and the later generations are able to take the reigns of political & economic power in whole, hopefully there will be more open-minds to finding ways to honestly reform education in Georgia.
honestly I think this issue is bit more complex than you are making it.

I am a liberal young person, but I'm voting yes.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,899 times
I'm voting no. If charter schools are so effing great, why not make them all charter. Years ago I used to watch on tv in Birmingham as parents camped out sometimes for days in order to enroll their kids in a special school. I thought at the time, and still think. If we know how to make one school great, why not make them all great? IMO corporatizing education is not the answer. Now if they ever get around to getting an amendment to allow cities to form their own school systems, I'm all aboard. But ALEC backed legislation? No way.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 PM

There are complexities to be sure, I'll give you that much.

But in my opinion, those complexities stem only from the political & social realities that have plagued Georgia off and on since the end of the Reconstruction era.

If people would only open their minds a little bit, a whole lot can be done. I only wish that the successful but fragile multiracial coalition of political, business, & community leadership that were able to steer Atlanta from the chaos of the Civil Rights era up until around end of the 1990s was still in control.

So much was accomplished in that brief time span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
honestly I think this issue is bit more complex than you are making it.

I am a liberal young person, but I'm voting yes.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I'm voting no. If charter schools are so effing great, why not make them all charter. Years ago I used to watch on tv in Birmingham as parents camped out sometimes for days in order to enroll their kids in a special school. I thought at the time, and still think. If we know how to make one school great, why not make them all great? IMO corporatizing education is not the answer. Now if they ever get around to getting an amendment to allow cities to form their own school systems, I'm all aboard. But ALEC backed legislation? No way.
Making them all charter puts you right back in the situation we have now. If there is only one system and one choice, people get complacent and let inefficiencies and waste fester without addressing and fixing problems, because there is no competition and no motivation to fix things if you are going to get paid regardless.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Check out "Waiting for Superman". A documentary about our school systems.

Libraries with a copy
1. Georgia State University
DVD video

2.Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System
DVD video

3.Georgia Institute of Technology
DVD video

4.Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center, Inc.
DVD video

5.Atlanta Metropolitan State College
DVD video

6.Emory University
Robert W. Woodruff Library
DVD video

The teacher's unions will not accept reform...just more money. And why aren't there more Charter Schools? Because of opposition to it like we see now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta