Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,652,174 times

Advertisements

North Atlanta High: Expect a crowd tonight for APS school chief meeting. And tough questions. | Get Schooled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,652,174 times
Live blogging from North Atlanta High meeting with Davis: “We want answers.” | Get Schooled

Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,237,349 times
Default NAHS Update...

At the meeting right now. The superintendent just stated that the school has not been meeting AYP and has been reduced to N4I status. He said that as the school is under-performing, he felt the replacement was necessary.

I will post more once the meeting is over.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 AM

616 posts, read 1,115,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
At the meeting right now. The superintendent just stated that the school has not been meeting AYP and has been reduced to N4I status. He said that as the school is under-performing, he felt the replacement was necessary.

I will post more once the meeting is over.
Thanks for the update. I'd be interested to hear more if you've got time to post.

It seems to me that the dismissal was rather abrupt, even if the school is underperforming.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 AM

86 posts, read 230,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
When I first moved to GA my family bought a house in Stone Mountain. The subdivision was nice. I moved to Avondale Estates after year and the neighborhood where my parents bought their house began to rapidly decline after a couple of years. Someone opened a group home for young boys in the subdivision and crime started happening. My parents moved out.

When my daughter became school age I knew I couldn't send her to school in Avondale because the schools there aren't good. A friend of mine told me about Robert Shaw Theme School. I applied for my daughter to attend ad she got the last spot on the waiting list. It seemed to be a decent school and there was a lot of parent/community involvement. I felt safe with her being at the school but she just wasn't thriving academically and she would act out sometimes.

I moved from Avondale back to Stone Mountain but she stayed at the school. Avondale was getting unsafe and Stone Mountain got worse after we moved back. I was contemplating moving to Virginia-Highland because I loved the area and Iu knew the schools were great but hadn't made the final decision.

On July 28, 2006, someone shot into my bedroom in Stone Mountain, shooting out my television. I was pretty much done at that point. That gunshot gave me the motivation to go ahead and move intown. I like the distance of Avondale and Stone Mountain from my job as I worked downtown in Atlanta but it became too unsafe and my child's education was suffering.

Living out in someplace like Alpharetta didn't appeal to me either. Moving to good intown areas proved to be a win-win for both my child and myself. I can't reiterate enough how that move changed my child for the absolute best.
I live in Raleigh and I want to check out Atlanta GA. So, can you help me out....where is intown? Is it in Atlanta and what school your daughter go to? I have find a apt in the core of downtown and the high school is Washington High. Is downtown safe and is Washington High a good school? Thank you!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 AM

196 posts, read 232,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's horrible! I remember when Stone Mountain was a quiet, peaceful and very safe area. Shopping was good and the schools were first rate.

What went haywire?

Young Jeezy came to town...

Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM

449 posts, read 1,178,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shygirl39 View Post
I live in Raleigh and I want to check out Atlanta GA. So, can you help me out....where is intown? Is it in Atlanta and what school your daughter go to? I have find a apt in the core of downtown and the high school is Washington High. Is downtown safe and is Washington High a good school? Thank you!
Washington High was one of the worst school in Atlanta for a long time. Mostly kids from the crime ridden areas of the West End and SW Atl attend th school.

I don't think the education at the school is great either. I'm not knocking the school, b/c I was about to attend the school years ago when I was in HS, but I don't believe it's particualarly safe unless it's changed in recent years

Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,867,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Washington High was one of the worst school in Atlanta for a long time. Mostly kids from the crime ridden areas of the West End and SW Atl attend th school.

I don't think the education at the school is great either. I'm not knocking the school, b/c I was about to attend the school years ago when I was in HS, but I don't believe it's particualarly safe unless it's changed in recent years
I also don't think Washington is one of the best. We live in the district. I don't think it is as horrible as people like to think it is as I know some parents who students who went there and they said they do have some decent teachers and their own kids scored well on college entrance exams and also got a lot of scholarships, which is something that Washington counselors are known for in the area - getting the kids who are college material a ton of scholarship money to where they pay practically nothing for a college/university education.

I think the school is mediocre. A lot of alumni live on the Westside and they just love the school and want their kids to go there but I wouldn't want my kid going there as it is now. We will probably move away from Atlanta though before my son gets to high school as I don't like hardly any of the school intown and am thinking of moving back to my home state so my kids can get vouchers for private high school or just go to a decent public high school without having to move in a super expensive area in order to get a good, diverse high school.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM

32,038 posts, read 36,926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post

It's always a shame to see great schools decline. Washington has such a fantastic tradition and is probably the only school in Atlanta that has ever produced a Nobel prize winner. You have to wonder where our top schools jumped the track.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,108,421 times
I went to North Atlanta and Washington. Went to NAH 9th and most of 10th and then Washington for the rest. To be honest NAH is not that good and Washington is not that bad. I actually saw a lot more fights and kids getting arrested for drugs at NAH than I did at Washington. NAH is basically 2 schools in 1, the IB and IS magnent kids have a completely different experience than the rest of the school. The rest of the school is just a typical inner city school, nothing really great about it. If anything its worse because I didn't see nearly as many wild fights at Washington as I did at NAH. There was a fight every week at NAH, not the case at Washington. The back parking lot at NAH was were the white kids hung out was basically a drug market, you could get anything back there. There was more than one time I saw the police raid it. And there was nothing even close to that at Washington. The teachers and principles at Washington didn't play that at all, the kids may be worse as a whole there, but the teachers and admin staff definitely cared more. When I was at NAH the head guy was Tony Overstreet, i never saw the guy. He might as well have been a ghost. At Washington Dr. Kilgore was the head honcho, and she was a visible presence every day in the halls. She knew pretty much all the students by name, a total 180 from NA where basically if you were not in IB no one gave a flip. And IB was a small portion of the school .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta