Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,148,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Then you need to meet more visitors.
What...until I find...one. Really, Atlanta and its trees are not what makes Atlanta standout in people's minds. I moved to Atlanta from Pennsylvania and the trees made no impression on me because PA is also covered in trees. People won't come to Atlanta to marvel at the trees.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:45 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,033,158 times
I thought Atlanta was known mostly for strip clubs

Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,231,033 times
I had come to Atlanta for an event in 1995. It was work related stuff so I wasn't here as a tourist. I was only here for three days. I had spent a little time in downtown, Midtown and was at the Georgia Dome area. I didn't really know much about Atlanta before I came here for that weekend. I just knew that it was the capital city of Georgia and that Georgia was called the Peach State. And I knew Spelman and Morehouse is here. That was pretty much it.

The skyline never caught my attention even after moving here, until I'd walk or drive through Midtown at night. Nothing stood out to me as eye-catching. Oddly enough, they only thing that stood out to me when I came here in 1995 was Target. I had wondered what kind of store that was because we didn't have them in Chicago yet back then.

I had never really heard other people actually talk about Atlanta outside of Freaknik or until after the 1996 Olympics. I had never seen pictures of Atlanta's skyline and there was never any known landmark that I'd heard about being situated here.

I had also never seen a strip club until I moved to Atlanta. I didn't know Atlanta was known for its strip clubs until after living here a good while. I guess because I'm not a dude, that wouldn't have been on my radar anyway lol.

I never heard anyone talk about Atlanta's trees until I started posting in the Atlanta forum on City Data.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,970,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I've never heard any visitor remark about Atlanta's trees. And I don't think people will be attracted to visit because of the trees. That's probably why Atlanta doesn't use them for promotion. Many places do have trees too...and a fair number of them. Now if Stone Mountain was beside downtown...now you've got an icon. But even so, I don't think Atlanta promotes Stone Mountain enough because not many people outside the area know about it.
This is some of the most illogical logic I've ever heard. "I don't think people know about that because the city doesn't promote that because not enough people know about that to promote that."

What is the point of promption exactly?!

AND EVEN SO ... The city doesn't promote St. Mountain because it is not in the city. But Georgia ane DeKalb County both promote the hell out of it. Maybe that's why it is the No. 1 most visited tourist attraction in the state?

And that leads to this: Atlanta is the 7th most-visited city in the nation. Who cares what its icon is? So what if nobody is aware it has trees? Atlanta's very name is its biggest draw -- people are fascinated by the city and region. What else could it need?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,126,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
What determines the feel or attitude of the city?
Who are you asking? And which criteria are being used?

Most of the time, it's purely subjective.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,862,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I had come to Atlanta for an event in 1995. It was work related stuff so I wasn't here as a tourist. I was only here for three days. I had spent a little time in downtown, Midtown and was at the Georgia Dome area. I didn't really know much about Atlanta before I came here for that weekend. I just knew that it was the capital city of Georgia and that Georgia was called the Peach State. And I knew Spelman and Morehouse is here. That was pretty much it.

The skyline never caught my attention even after moving here, until I'd walk or drive through Midtown at night. Nothing stood out to me as eye-catching. Oddly enough, they only thing that stood out to me when I came here in 1995 was Target. I had wondered what kind of store that was because we didn't have them in Chicago yet back then.

I had never really heard other people actually talk about Atlanta outside of Freaknik or until after the 1996 Olympics. I had never seen pictures of Atlanta's skyline and there was never any known landmark that I'd heard about being situated here.

I had also never seen a strip club until I moved to Atlanta. I didn't know Atlanta was known for its strip clubs until after living here a good while. I guess because I'm not a dude, that wouldn't have been on my radar anyway lol.

I never heard anyone talk about Atlanta's trees until I started posting in the Atlanta forum on City Data.
There you go telling the TRUTH again.

It's difficult for me to believe that some people have a hard time believing this! For sure, I watched the Cubs play the Braves, back in the day. There was only one team that I enjoyed more than Cubs/ Braves: the Cardinals. I knew that there was a city in GA called Atlanta. However, I knew nothing about Atlanta outside of the Hawks and the Braves. What good is an airport that I don't have immediate access to? I didn't learn that H/J was the largest or busiest airport in the nation until I moved here. Atlanta has the tallest building in the U.S. outside of Chicago and New York. Trivial!

Kriss Kross brought Atlanta to my attention. Yes, I use to do the Bankhead bounce! I can presume that Black people across the nation did also. Yes, I knew that the dance came out of a city called Atlanta. Yes, I've consumed Coke before. I didn't know that Coke is an Atlanta product. Good on Atlanta! It has a well arranged skyline, heavy rail, and a variety of eateries. Again, good on Atlanta.

We all knew that this was coming: HOWEVER! The constant validation seeking causes me to question the the belief of the one seeking affirmation. TS, did you really have to ask if the pics give the impression that Atlanta is a big city? Come on Jack! It's pathetic! I'm not calling you pathetic.

It's equally pathetic to belittle another place to elevate another. I know that the TS has aspirations of Atlanta having core density similar to that of Chicago's. To come in and discredit Chicago is pathetic! Oh, if we can't discredit Chicago, let's remind everyone how inadequate it is compared to the Atlanta of the East: New York. Absolutely PATHETIC!

Atlanta is a fine city, PERIOD! It speaks for itself! It is NOT any other city. Despite how much you may love it, there are people who know nothing about it, and could not care less! Atlanta is NOT on everyone's radar. There are people who can not recognize Atlanta's skyline. Stop allowing it to diminish the city that you love!

OUTRO!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,156,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post

It's difficult for me to believe that some people have a hard time believing this! For sure, I watched the Cubs play the Braves, back in the day. There was only one team that I enjoyed more than Cubs/ Braves: the Cardinals. I knew that there was a city in GA called Atlanta. However, I knew nothing about Atlanta outside of the Hawks and the Braves. What good is an airport that I don't have immediate access to? I didn't learn that H/J was the largest or busiest airport in the nation until I moved here. Atlanta has the tallest building in the U.S. outside of Chicago and New York. Trivial!

Kriss Kross brought Atlanta to my attention. Yes, I use to do the Bankhead bounce! I can presume that Black people across the nation did also. Yes, I knew that the dance came out of a city called Atlanta. Yes, I've consumed Coke before. I didn't know that Coke is an Atlanta product. Good on Atlanta! It has a well arranged skyline, heavy rail, and a variety of eateries. Again, good on Atlanta.

We all knew that this was coming: HOWEVER! The constant validation seeking causes me to question the the belief of the one seeking affirmation. TS, did you really have to ask if the pics give the impression that Atlanta is a big city? Come on Jack! It's pathetic! I'm not calling you pathetic.

It's equally pathetic to belittle another place to elevate another. I know that the TS has aspirations of Atlanta having core density similar to that of Chicago's. To come in and discredit Chicago is pathetic! Oh, if we can't discredit Chicago, let's remind everyone how inadequate it is compared to the Atlanta of the East: New York. Absolutely PATHETIC!

Atlanta is a fine city, PERIOD! It speaks for itself! It is NOT any other city. Despite how much you may love it, there are people who know nothing about it, and could not care less! Atlanta is NOT on everyone's radar. There are people who can not recognize Atlanta's skyline. Stop allowing it to diminish the city that you love!

OUTRO!
I didn't discredit Chicago at all. In fact, I want Atlanta to have density similar to that of the loop and outer areas, particularly the north side, however, more and more I think about it, Atlanta will either never achieve it or it will take a century which by that time, I'll be dead.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,891,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I didn't discredit Chicago at all. In fact, I want Atlanta to have density similar to that of the loop and outer areas, particularly the north side, however, more and more I think about it, Atlanta will either never achieve it or it will take a century which by that time, I'll be dead.
just looked at a population density map of chicago of the last US census— the typical density in chicago around the loop area is between 20,000 and 30,000 people per square mile. there is an area along the magnificent mile that has a peak density of 69,000 per square mile. if you look at downtown and midtown atlanta, the typical density is between 5,000 and 15,000 per square mile, with midtown along peachtree street having a peak density of 22,000 per square mile. we aren't there yet but i seriously doubt with all the construction going on in midtown even during this recession, that it will take a hundred years. you're probably looking at 20 years to get near the density of some parts of chicago, which may seem like a long time but i think we're coming along nicely so far.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,156,575 times
Also, to the person saying Atlanta has a 'generic' skyline...I couldn't disagree with you more. It has very unique buildings and I bet if those buildings are in New York, they would be highly adored.

The Westin hotel is already extremely unique...a circular glass skyscaper and it's not your typical post-modern type glass skyscraper.

I also think that the 191 Peachtree Tower and Suntrust Plaza are unique

The BoA tower is meh. I don't like it that much, although the street level is just terrible...like why is it a 'city in the park' design in an urban area...makes no sense...

Just imagine if all the buildings in the Buckhead district were in Midtown/Downtown core.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:47 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,231,033 times
Quote:

I only knew about Chicago's two airports (Midway and O'Hare--which was the world's busiest airport until some years after the 1996 Olympics), Kennedy Airport, LaGuardia, Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Orly and LAX. I obviously knew other major cities had airports. But they never stood out in my mind. I hadn't heard of Hartsfield-Jackson until I moved here (I didn't fly the first time I came here and we drove when I moved here).

I didn't know what sports teams were in Atlanta either. I just knew of Northeast coast teams, California's Milwaukee's, Boston's and St. Louis. I guess I just never caught the game when Chicago's teams played Atlanta's.

I knew some people that I met through work lived in an Atlanta suburb called Stone Mountain, but I didn't know there was an actual Stone Mountain Park with the world's largest piece of exposed granite. I also didn't know it had the world's largest high relief sculpture partially carved by the same man who carved Mt. Rushmore until after I moved there. I had heard of Mt. Rushmore, but never the Civil War carving. Maybe because we didn't really study the Civil War much in school and the Civil War is something that people in other parts of the country outside the south don't think about or care much about.

Quote:
I didn't know that Kriss Kross was from Atlanta. I also didn't know Coke was based in Atlanta. I drank Pepsi back home lol.

Quote:
Again, never saw a picture of Atlanta's skyline before moving here but could easily recognize Chicago's or New York's in a photo. In certain photos with certain angles, I can't tell them apart. Though the building that stood out to me after moving here was the Bank of America building.

Quote:

OUTRO!
I'm not pointing these things out to bash Atlanta, just that I didn't know much of anything about the city, even after a brief visit in 1995 and I didn't learn anything about it until after I moved here in 1997. I just knew a lot of people were moving down here so they could buy a house or they were told that black people could "make it" here.

I think it's great for the city that the 1996 Olympics put it on the map. But to me it begs the question of whether or not Atlanta would have gained the same popularity it has in the last sixteen years if the city had never gotten the Olympic bid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta