Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,040,305 times

Advertisements

Audit: MARTA spends $50M too much, should privatize some functions

Audit: MARTA spends $50M too much, should privatize some... | www.ajc.com

MARTA is spending $50 million above the national average for employee benefits, but if it revamped its health care, retirement and worker compensation plans, it could erase a projected $33 million operating deficit, an audit released Monday reveals. The transit authority will have to cut services even more in a few years if it doesn’t control runaway costs, according to the KPMG audit, commissioned by the authority’s board of directors to give it a blueprint for stabilizing the troubled finances and to expand its services.
The audit said that, in addition to the labor and retirement savings, the authority could save between $60 million and $142 million over five years by outsourcing many functions. According to the audit, the five-years savings if cleaning services were privatized would be $29 million to $49.5 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,909,737 times
The audit report is also being discussed here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...mg-report.html

Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,608,220 times
I'm all for privatization, but I'm not sure what and how. But I'm sure it will work out in the long run.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,322,412 times
It's a pretty interesting report to say the least.

But it feels a lot like this report is comparing apples and oranges. It's quite easy these days to create reports that will lead to the conclusions that a party or parties would want it to lead to, and that is a situation that's quite common in this current anti-government atmosphere.

I would like to see how the other similar transit agencies in the nation compare to MARTA in terms of cost. Not trying be a conspiracy theorist mind you, but why compare MARTA's costs to to the costs associated with non-transit agencies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Audit: MARTA spends $50M too much, should privatize some functions

Audit: MARTA spends $50M too much, should privatize some... | www.ajc.com

MARTA is spending $50 million above the national average for employee benefits, but if it revamped its health care, retirement and worker compensation plans, it could erase a projected $33 million operating deficit, an audit released Monday reveals. The transit authority will have to cut services even more in a few years if it doesn’t control runaway costs, according to the KPMG audit, commissioned by the authority’s board of directors to give it a blueprint for stabilizing the troubled finances and to expand its services.
The audit said that, in addition to the labor and retirement savings, the authority could save between $60 million and $142 million over five years by outsourcing many functions. According to the audit, the five-years savings if cleaning services were privatized would be $29 million to $49.5 million.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-25-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,257,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's a pretty interesting report to say the least.

But it feels a lot like this report is comparing apples and oranges. It's quite easy these days to create reports that will lead to the conclusions that a party or parties would want it to lead to, and that is a situation that's quite common in this current anti-government atmosphere.

I would like to see how the other similar transit agencies in the nation compare to MARTA in terms of cost. Not trying be a conspiracy theorist mind you, but why compare MARTA's costs to to the costs associated with non-transit agencies?
I thought I saw in the actual report that many of the comparisons were made between BART, SEPTA, and Denver RTA.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,322,412 times
Yeah but those are just a few agencies out of the many transit agencies in the whole United States.

I'm not trying to imposed some impossibly huge standard on KPMG, but far too many times audits like these who are critical of public-governed agencies operating within the ITP tend to be far too politically-charged & agenda-based. Give me a report that comprehensively looks at how MARTA operates compared to its peers, to include side details like state funding, whether or not the density of commercial & residential developments influencing the pricing of services, and if these peers have autonomy over their decision making(Is MARTA the only place governed by a politically-oriented committee like MARTOC?) and I would drop my suspicions on this issue.

Otherwise?

I will always have the suspicion that this report was done just to get in the good favor with the state legislature, who is just as inept in handling the affairs of state-governed institutions. But I guess since Atlanta doesn't exactly have a truly mature & independent press corp to get to the bottom of these issues, questions like mines will likely never be raised or answered by the powers-that-be in this state.

Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I thought I saw in the actual report that many of the comparisons were made between BART, SEPTA, and Denver RTA.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 AM

32,038 posts, read 36,920,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
KPMG gives MARTA positive marks for some of the cost saving steps it has taken.

However, the areas where they criticize MARTA are just plain common sense, not some subtle, subjective difference. For instance, MARTA pays $27.55 an hour for cleaning when an outside vendor can do the same job for half that price. That alone would save $29 million to $49.5 million over the next five years.

To put that in context, MARTA's fair hike to $2.50 a ride only generated $4 million a year. Good management could have easily eliminated the need for a fare increase.

Bear in mind that MARTA has never scrimped on executive compensation either. Beverly Scott was paid $371,000 last year. In her new job at MBTA, a much larger and more complex system, she'll have to scrimp by on a mere $220,000.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM

738 posts, read 1,380,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
KPMG gives MARTA positive marks for some of the cost saving steps it has taken.

However, the areas where they criticize MARTA are just plain common sense, not some subtle, subjective difference. For instance, MARTA pays $27.55 an hour for cleaning when an outside vendor can do the same job for half that price. That alone would save $29 million to $49.5 million over the next five years.

To put that in context, MARTA's fair hike to $2.50 a ride only generated $4 million a year. Good management could have easily eliminated the need for a fare increase.

Bear in mind that MARTA has never scrimped on executive compensation either. Beverly Scott was paid $371,000 last year. In her new job at MBTA, a much larger and more complex system, she'll have to scrimp by on a mere $220,000.
Damn...I'm totally in the wrong business.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:38 PM

32,038 posts, read 36,920,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Damn...I'm totally in the wrong business.
$20,000 a month doesn't go nearly as far as it used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: