Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,788 times

Advertisements

I live in Austin, TX, and soon will be moving to Atlanta, GA (I was offered a job at Emory). I have two kids of elementary school age, and another one who will go to a middle school this year. We are looking for a good place to live (apartment, town home or house) with at least three bedrooms. Our budget is $1,200/month. We like camping and boating, and bring our two cars, canoe and kayak, so garage or some other kind of a storage is a must. Also, schools are among our top priorities. Browsing greatschools.org made us look more closely at Decatur ISD. Does anybody have any suggestions? I do not mind driving some extra miles to and from work, but would like to keep my commute time under 45 minutes one way. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,673,539 times
Decatur is your best bet, but I don't know if your $ will go far enough. By visiting, how long will you be here?

I am not sure where you can find good schools and space for your budget. Maybe the Norcross High district?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,040,142 times
Camping and boating? Canoe, kayak and two car garage? My first question would be how long a commute you're willing to deal with (ah, 45 min).

Also, my apologies on having to leave Austin.

I would seek a suburb outside the perimeter. $1200 a month will not rent you much house within the city limits. Sandy Springs and Roswell both have multiple Chattahoochee recreational areas where you can drop a boat into the river. I have been told that there are similar areas east of Cumberland Mall around the Powers Ferry area, but I have not seen them first hand.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM

So far I am visiting for one year, so I am looking at a 12 month lease.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Tell me a little bit about what you are looking for in a school -- what level of diversity (racial, ethic and/or economic) you are comfortable with, what type of academic environment, etc.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Tell me a little bit about what you are looking for in a school -- what level of diversity (racial, ethic and/or economic) you are comfortable with, what type of academic environment, etc.
Well, as it is not so uncommon among bilingual kids (Russian-English in our case), our children do well at school. Texas has special programs (GT, magnet schools, ASCEND, and many others) to accommodate such students. The main thing I am looking for is that the school should not be too boring, and that my children would be given a chance to grow intellectually and also enjoy this growth. Diversity? I don't mind if my kids study with the students of different nations/worldviews, but I do not want them to be the only white students in the classroom :-)

Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,834,290 times
Decatur would be my first choice, but unfortunately $1,200 won't go far in the rental market for a single family home. There isn't a ton of rental inventory in Decatur to begin with, as the real estate market has been fairly well insulated there because of the school system. Your budget and space requirements will likely push you towards Tucker or North Decatur.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 PM

The trick is going to be your price range -- it is going to be tight. Emory is fairly well land locked and is in a very congested area, so you have to be careful, because it can be difficult to get to just because of the traffic in the immediate area.

GA has very little school choice and what little exists, is done in the Winter/Spring preceding the next school year.

I don't think Peachtree Corners would be a terrible commute... (others may argue differently.)

Spacious Home in Great Neighborhood This one might work for you though a bit above your range.

Grady High Cluster might be a possibility, but again your price range may not work.

3br/2bth - Candler Park Home

Old 07-14-2012, 12:25 PM

225 posts, read 715,660 times
Medlock park is very close to Emory and there are lots of homes for rent near that price range, mostly 50s ranch style homes. The neighborhood is zoned for Dekalb County Schools. The elementary school is Laurel Ridge, and parents in the neighborhood are happy with it. The middle school is Druid Hills Middle - I don't know a lot about that school. Lots of students/faculty live in the area. The neighborhood has a facebook page (Medlock Park Neighbors) where you could maybe ask more specific questions.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Thanks all y'all for the valuable comments. After long debates we began looking closer at Medlock Park neighborhood with Laurel Ridge Elem and Druid Hills Middle schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta