Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,664 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family lives in East Atlanta and after a frustrated search for affordable intown areas with good schools for our 5 year old to start, we've decided to move to Roswell. We fell in love with the area and all of the school ratings are really good, but when we went to visit Roswell North Elementary (closed for the Summer so only the outside) we were disappointed by its rundown appearance. Are people happy with this school? I know a lot of people recommend Mountain Park Elementary but I work in Midtown so would like to keep my commute as bearable as possible. Thanks so much for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Summer Office Hours:
9AM till 12 noon and 1:00 -2:00 PM.
Registrations will be accepted onTuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m.-noon

Give them a call, and stop by for a tour....

Old 06-23-2012, 07:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
I'd recommend a visit.

You can't always judge a school based on outside appearance, but I do agree that appearance does matter. If a community takes pride in its school, it should at least look decently attractive and have proper technology and amenities.

I've gone to a lot of schools, some better than others, but all pretty good. I will say that even if the school is good, it is extremely difficult to learn well in a trailer. One of the best schools I went to, they had to expand and they ended up having to use trailers for a brief period of time while construction was completed. They were competent about it, though, and put things that don't require as much concentration like the chorus, band, and electives in the trailers leaving math, science, social studies, and English in proper classrooms. One school I went to in South Florida taught U.S. history in a trailer, and I don't remember much from that class because it's hard to concentrate in a freaking trailer. Of course, it was only 8th grade, but you get what I mean.

In all the schools I attended, I will say that there is definitely a correlation between what kind of shape the physical plant is in and the quality of education offered. I'm sure there are some exceptions, especially at the elementary level, but you are right to be cautious. Best to go visit to be sure. My niece goes to a rather rundown looking school, but it's a charter or magnet school (I'm still not 100% on the difference) and has one of the highest rated math and science programs in the country.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'

I've gone to a lot of schools, some better than others, but all pretty good. I will say that even if the school is good, it is extremely difficult to learn well in a trailer. One of the best schools I went to, they had to expand and they ended up having to use trailers for a brief period of time while construction was completed. They were competent about it, though, and put things that don't require as much concentration like the chorus, band, and electives in the trailers leaving math, science, social studies, and English in proper classrooms. One school I went to in South Florida taught U.S. history in a trailer, and I don't remember much from that class because it's hard to concentrate in a freaking trailer. Of course, it was only 8th grade, but you get what I mean.
My neighbor is a HS math teacher who taught a few years in a trailer, and he said the teachers prefer them, and the students do just as good or better than the students in the classrooms. They're "off the beaten path" a bit, so there aren't other kids walking by causing distractions. They also have their own AC control, whereas most newer schools have automatic temperature controls that don't allow the teachers to adjust the temp in the classroom.

I can't really think of any reason it would be harder to learn or concentrate in a trailer. Maybe 8th grade history just wasn't your thing.....

Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
They do have their own temperature control, which is nice and they get cooler in the summer.

But they also use window units, which are loud and hard for the teachers to speak over. This WAS over 20 years ago, so maybe the window units have gotten quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: