Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 18,766 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Does anyone on here work for Atlanta PD or know someone who does? I'm considering joining, but I have relatives who retired from APD that say it would be a mistake to go with this department. Apparently morale is low and the city has a tendency to side with the offenders (to save face) even if the officer is in the right. I've heard this from multiple people and it's starting to discourage me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,973,204 times
When looking around consider the benefit package. Think long term

Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,905,564 times
Just got the money to hire 200 more officers to bring the total to 2000. That'll put Atlanta with Baltimore and Miami levels.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,977,747 times
I've always heard the pay and benefits for cops are much better in Gwinnett and Cobb. I would look into those as well!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,846,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I've always heard the pay and benefits for cops are much better in Gwinnett and Cobb. I would look into those as well!

I have heard this as well but I'm pretty sure that there was an increase in pay for APD even for new officers within the past couple years to make them on par with other metro police forces. I would also look into benefit packages.

A couple friends of my husband's are cops, one for Fulton PD and one for Atlanta but neither of them talk about low morale, they just have funny stories of crazy people they come across.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,905,564 times
The officers at Zone 6 seem to really care about making a difference, helping people, and had high moral. They area very nice and appreciative when we delivery food on Thanksgiving to the precinct.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 AM

705 posts, read 1,111,761 times
Officers are leaving APD in droves, it has one of the most unstable administrations, like most cities everytime there is a new mayor everything changes, but Atlanta is Atlanta. Gwinnett or Cobb are the best choices for law enforement in the metro area. Can't help but think of the of the John Shelton Reed quote;

“Every time I look at Atlanta I see what a quarter of a million Confederate soldiers died trying to prevent.”

Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM

284 posts, read 591,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The officers at Zone 6 seem to really care about making a difference, helping people, and had high moral. They area very nice and appreciative when we delivery food on Thanksgiving to the precinct.
Same for my zone 4 officers. When I lived in midtown the police there seemed stressed, too "authoritative", and much less tolerant. Once when we were broken into they didn't even bother to come out, and said they would just file a report. I complained and the cop that did come by literally said "every homeless bum has a screwdriver, so get used used to this." I rarely saw cops on patrol outside of piedmont park, unless they were looking for traffic citations/drunk clubgoers to pull over.

Our Zone 4 officers seem very in tune with the community, and give you a "I'm here to help" vibe versus "what are you up to" type evil-eye. Granted, I don't live in the hotspots of Zone 4 that always make the news, so that could definitely have an effect on the police's demeanor. Any time we have needed an officer they were there immediately, and as I've mentioned recently I constantly see the police on patrol/visiting local businesses/keeping an eye on things. They manage to be around without being overbearing. Maybe it has more to do with local precincts and their leadership. All I know is I have enormous respect for anyone willing to do that job-- I know the pay can't be enough for the risk and the amount of self-sacrifice you have to put into that calling. I have only had very close friend who was a policeman in Fulton & Cobb Co years ago. He moved out to the country and became a cop there after nearly getting shot/run over on the side of the road after a simple traffic stop. He made more money, worked less hours, and didn't have to deal with the drugs/gangs/violence that started to make his family's life a living hell.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 PM

283 posts, read 376,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Can't help but think of the of the John Shelton Reed quote;

“Every time I look at Atlanta I see what a quarter of a million Confederate soldiers died trying to prevent.”
That quote can be taken to mean a lot of things, many of them not fit for commenting here.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,316,074 times
So far all I can gleam from this thread that there some folks here who really hate demographics of the majority of people who reside in Atlanta and govern Atlanta, and that they have a love affair for the Neo-Confederacy.

How typically southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta