Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM

418 posts, read 907,516 times

Advertisements

My experience this morning, along with others in the past, prompted me to share my frustration which I'm sure you all have encoutered as well.

Went to renew my car tabs in DeKalb. Had everything current, GA DL with our current address, insurance for the car with our current address, emissions, etc. Went to write a check and was told they didn't accept out of state checks. I rarely use checks and it still had our old address on it. I told the woman that less than 9 months ago, I had written two checks with our old address to retitle and register our cars. Wow!! I On my way out, I stopped and spoke to a supervisor. I was told that I didn't need to explain banking to him. I wonder if they know that most banks have a national and global presence.

Everytime I am required to touch public sector service here in Atlanta/State, I walk away with such frustration because there doesn't seem to be any level of logic or reasonable. The rules change everytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,410,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
Everytime I am required to touch public sector service here in Atlanta/State, I walk away with such frustration because there doesn't seem to be any level of logic or reasonable. The rules change everytime.
Or, the rules were the same last time you were there, and the clerk didn't catch the fact that your address on your check was incorrect......

Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM

Two checks (old address) in different months with different clerks. You're right, it's not the rules....you just don't know WHAT the rules are.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,843,854 times
Quote:
Honestly, and I may get talked about for this, but I do agree with you that Atlanta and the metro in general are bad about public services and dealings with the public. They are not consistent with rules and regulations and frequently "pass the buck" meaning they tell you to go and do something else, even after you have called to make sure that you bring everything necessary.

I will give you some advice - get a folder and keep all of the documents for your whole life with you in it and take it with you whenever you go the DDS or tag office or anything. I have found that when you have everything you think you will ever need AND you only bring cash to pay for everything (try to bring exact change) only then will you not have many problems and they may still try to make you go somewhere else. Example:

I went to the DDS to have them change my old GA license to a new one as it was deemed incorrect by the PassPort office when I was getting ready for a trip. The lady told me they couldn't put my two surnames on the license (my old license had one of my surnames in the middle name spot which is why the Pass Port office wouldn't accept it). I told her she would need to write a letter stating this for proof. She told me they don't write letters. I told her she should do her job then and put the last names on there. She told me she would need my "marriage application" (not license) to do this. I keep that in my folder and produced it. She then said I needed my license as well. I produced that. She needed my birth certificate. I produced that too. She passed me to another lady who then started to talk about the marriage application again, which I again produced along with the other mentioned documents. Finally after getting passed around for an hour and telling them I wasn't leaving until I got my license with both surnames OR they wrote me a letter, the supervisor came out and told them to print the license with my two surnames. Took 5 minutes. They could have done that in the first place.

But just goes to show that if you have your stuff and you have cash in perfect change, they will have to do what you need done even if they try to get you to leave. Also make sure if you ever get a ticket to keep the receipt of it's payment (I have some from 1999 in my folder) you never know when it will pop up in the system and get a warrant out on you here. That has happened to me and luckily I had my folder with me and showed the cop my receipt so I wasn't arrested, but did have to take off work to go to court and show them the receipt from 5 years ago.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,719,466 times
Yea, the out of state check rule has always been effect.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Residing, you are spot on. My past experiences here have been similar with regards your. You call/ask and they tell you...if you do X, then Y. Then you go do X...but it's Z. WFT!!

I often say that I feel like I'm living in a 3rd world country when I deal with our public service here. It's as though I speak a different language, rules or applied arbitrarily and any any point you could get arrested.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Yea, the out of state check rule has always been effect.
And I would know this after having written two out of state checks to the same office, with different people in different months, right?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,843,854 times
I have felt the 3rd world country thing before too with my experiences with the tag office especially!

It is CRAZY to me that the tag office in downtown Atlanta doesn't even take debit cards for payment. I am from a city of 200K residents and they take debit cards. It is like they are in the dark ages.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:05 PM

But yet the tag office in DeKalb does. I know each county can do their own thing and set their own policies etc...again that inconsistency....

I laughed about trash pick up day too....are they going to show up today, or not. Maybe next week then.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,719,466 times
Quote:
And I would know this after having written two out of state checks to the same office, with different people in different months, right?
Like you have seen, different employees, different rules but all of the metro tag office have out of state checks and 3rd party check bans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta