Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 35,228 times

Advertisements

I'm a graduate student at Tech currently living in a less-than-safe area of Decatur. I want to move and would like to stay around the Decatur/Emory area but rent prices seem to change from month to month. When is the best time to move and get the best deal?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 04:53 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
I don't know that there is a lot of fluctuation in rent based on season. Maybe the huge gated properties have more inventory during certain periods and you will see drops. I'd guess winter would be the cheapest. People tend to move more in the spring and summer, particularly in areas with many students.

If you are not on a month-to-month lease now, why does it matter? If your lease ends on a certain date coming up, you don't have a great deal of flexibility to decide when you want to move right?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 35,228 times
I am on a month to month and have been looking on and off for about 6 months. The prices do fluctuate, especially for apartments. I was guessing it would be cheapest in the beginning parts of summer as students graduate and freshman don't come in until late august. I am very flexible on the move date and would like to get the best house for the price.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:20 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
No, prices generally drop in the winter because very few people move then. The biggest factor for reducing the price of an apartment is how long it reamins vacant and winter vacancies stay empty much longer.

So in the winter, complexes have less inventory, but the inventory they do have does not move well so they have to discount it. The problem is, since inventory is low, if you have specific desires like top floor or by the pool or whatever, you will have fewer choices during the winter when prices are lower.

Of course, this is assuming all other things are equal. If the general market of rental prices happens to rise this winter, you may not see discounting.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Right around the holidays.
Rents are lower because management wants empty units filled- and no one usually is thinking of moving during the holidays.

It's the same for new home sells as well. Builders want to unload inventory so there will be no "inventory tax", carryover for the new year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: