Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times

Advertisements

Ga. 400 shoulder to open to traffic *| ajc.com

As of this morning, 400 southbound will be a 5-lane highway between Holcomb Bridge and the North Springs MARTA, 6:30 AM - 9:30 AM on weekdays. Emergency vehicles will now use the second-to-left lane instead of the shoulders; this has been raised as a point of concern.

Judging from this story, this almost appears to be a test run more than anything else. I kind of have mixed feelings about it. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:32 PM

230 posts, read 492,838 times
Not a fan of it. My concerns are primarily about emergency vehicles as well as the increased noise some of the residents might have to deal with. I understand traffic is bad and that cash is short, but this is not the solution. Also, traffic on Holcomb Bridge needs to be addressed, that road is a nightmare .

Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Sounds like a disaster to me.

Can anyone explain how a road that has so much volume that it has to figure out innovative solutions to widen that charges each driver 50 cents for a road that has long since been paid for doesn't have the necessary funds to widen properly?

I just don't get Georgia sometimes. 400 has a toll even though it's been paid for and it they say there's no money to widen it, then the government can't figure out how to use tax funds to deal with roads so they have to beg taxpayers to vote in an additional 1% sales tax just to fund a bunch of projects that really won't do very much to relieve congestion anyway....unbelievable.

Then the punchline is there's a mass transit line on this SAME VERY ROAD that just doesn't extend far enough north into the county where residents are already being taxed for it! I hate to point out the obvious, but what on earth is going on here????

Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,378 times
I used it this morning to get off at Exit 6 to get to our lab on Roswell Road. It worked great today. I will need to give it some time before giving the thumb up or down.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Then the punchline is there's a mass transit line on this SAME VERY ROAD that just doesn't extend far enough north into the county where residents are already being taxed for it! I hate to point out the obvious, but what on earth is going on here????
You should address this to the Governor's office, as most in the DOT are personal friends of his who come up with these ideas.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM

230 posts, read 492,838 times
Just saw a diagram about how the "emergency" lane will be created in an accident...I am even more doubtful.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:

Can anyone explain how a road that has so much volume that it has to figure out innovative solutions to widen that charges each driver 50 cents for a road that has long since been paid for doesn't have the necessary funds to widen properly?

I just don't get Georgia sometimes. 400 has a toll even though it's been paid for and it they say there's no money to widen it, then the government can't figure out how to use tax funds to deal with roads so they have to beg taxpayers to vote in an additional 1% sales tax just to fund a bunch of projects that really won't do very much to relieve congestion anyway....unbelievable.
That was one of the reason cited for extending the toll to continue to pay for repairs and new projects on GA400.

GA 400 | Programs & Studies | State Road and Tollway Authority

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
I wouldn't expect such a dumb idea from any other place.

Nobody rides in the right lane anyway even though that's where you're supposed to ride.
Everyone pokes along in the left lanes. Don't believe me? Go look at any interstate.
This will only encourage dangerous weaving and passing on the right and if you can't make your car break down in the designated areas then god help you.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
There is a similar setup on the roads leading from Boston out to Cape Cod. Seemed to work alright in my brief experience.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
As of this morning, 400 southbound will be a 5-lane highway between Holcomb Bridge and the North Springs MARTA, 6:30 AM - 9:30 AM on weekdays.
Quote:

Sure. I'd be happy to. The toll booth is between Glenridge Connector and Lenox Road. It would follow, then, that 400 "between Holcomb Bridge and the North Springs MARTA" isn't part of the toll road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta