Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:22 AM

249 posts, read 649,991 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I spent a few hours reading through some older threads regarding Woodstock and was hoping to get some up to date info from any one who actually lives or recently has lived in Woodstock. My husband and I visited there this weekend and we really liked it, just wondering what it is like living there. We currently live in Alpharetta and simply are not feeling it here. We have a 4 yr old daughter which we would like to have in a private Christian school but we are definitely looking for a nice safe family friendly area with a neighborhood feel.
Can anyone give me some insight as to life in Woodstock? My husband works on Alpharetta highway in Roswell so we are also wondering about the commute and traffic situation.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
Hi all,
I spent a few hours reading through some older threads regarding Woodstock and was hoping to get some up to date info from any one who actually lives or recently has lived in Woodstock.
We have lived here for the past 3 years and we love it here. Downtown Woodstock has something going on nearly every weekend. Many shops and restaurants have opened up there over the past year and all seem to be doing well. We are fortunate to live within walking distance of downtown so it is easy for us to pop in for the various festivals and other activities. If you have specific questions, just ask.

Woodstock is adding to its downtown area, too. Construction is already underway for the 4-acre Elm Street Cultural Arts Village: Welcome to Elm Street Cultural Arts Village | Elm Street Cultural Arts Village
Woodstock is also planning on building an ampitheater just east of the city park to hold its monthly free concert series: WOODSTOCKCONCERTSERIES.COM

Woodstock definitely feels more like a "home town" than it does a cookie-cutter suburb. What Woodstock lacks is anything like Wills Park. Nearby JJ Biello Park has lots of good stuff, but is nothing on the scale of Wills Park.

I don't commute to Roswell so I can't speak much to that. I know how to get there from Arnold Mill (avoiding 92) but I don't know what it is like during rush hour.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM

Default Nice

Wow seems like they have big plans for Woodstock.... We really enjoyed driving around and getting a feel for the place. We had lunch in that maint street area... I didn't notice too many apartment complexes in the area... And only about 4 on Rent.com, where is a good place to look and be within walking distance from downtown?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,767 times
Quote:
Hi all,
I spent a few hours reading through some older threads regarding Woodstock and was hoping to get some up to date info from any one who actually lives or recently has lived in Woodstock. My husband and I visited there this weekend and we really liked it, just wondering what it is like living there. We currently live in Alpharetta and simply are not feeling it here. We have a 4 yr old daughter which we would like to have in a private Christian school but we are definitely looking for a nice safe family friendly area with a neighborhood feel.
Can anyone give me some insight as to life in Woodstock? My husband works on Alpharetta highway in Roswell so we are also wondering about the commute and traffic situation.
Thanks!
As someone who has lived in Johns Creek (Alpharetta neightbor) for about 4 years, and who has visited Woodstock area a few times -- just a few thoughts:

- Alpharetta is about as good as it gets for transplants. There is ofcourse nothing exciting going on here. Not sure what you mean by "not feeling it here", but may be you could try to rent a townhouse in the area before you decide to move.

- Woodstock is as far up north as JC and Alpharetta. I am guessing that the commute willl be terrible (you will have to add a complaining husband into the mix!).

- I think Woodstock and Cherokee county racial mix is mostly white. Not sure what your interests are

- Driving around Woodstock suburbs seemed the same as everything else I have seen. I have NOT seen the downtown area, so may be there is something nice out there. However, Alpharetta is also making downtown improvements, and I have walked around their downtown, and even from the library to Wills Park. I suggest you make sure you have done your due diligence in Alpharetta.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,767 times
Northpoint mall and surroundings.

Alpharetta Greenway.

Wills Park.

Roswell downtown.

Alpharetta downtown (especially after the improvements)

Lifetime Fitness or YMCA

--

These are the most "exciting" things in Alpharetta.

--

Suggest you look into Roswell as well. They have good parks, and their downtown is nice. I think you are into natural living -- Roswell lake is the only place where I have seen a sign saying "dont feed ducks"!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
- Woodstock is as far up north as JC and Alpharetta. I am guessing that the commute willl be terrible (you will have to add a complaining husband into the mix!).
He is "cross-commuting" to Roswell. Not as bad as going downtown but still loaded with traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA
- Driving around Woodstock suburbs seemed the same as everything else I have seen. I have NOT seen the downtown area
Then you haven't seen Woodstock. You've only seen Towne Lake.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Wow seems like they have big plans for Woodstock.... We really enjoyed driving around and getting a feel for the place. We had lunch in that maint street area... I didn't notice too many apartment complexes in the area... And only about 4 on Rent.com, where is a good place to look and be within walking distance from downtown?
There are some older apartment complexes along Dupree Road which would be within walking distance. But you're right, there aren't many. There are some along Towne Lake Blvd, a few miles west (and the other side of I-575). There is a large complex on Towne Lake Hills Drive that is walking distance to the middle and high schools. Any of those might be close enough for you. Or you could look to see if any of the downtown condos or houses are available for rent. When you visit the area again, be sure to drive through the little development just east of downtown (behind the condo buildings). They are zero-lot-line single family homes with more of a townhome feel, with some townhomes mixed in. You may not want to buy one (especially if you want a yard) but renting one might be exactly what you are looking for.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
you might want to check out this thread..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...lpharetta.html

Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Thank you for all the info. We are definately going to go back out next weekend and drive around some more. I did find some homes for rent and plan to do some drive by so as to get an idea where they are in relation to everything else. I think we will prob look for a home to rent at first, might be better than an apt. And the prices don't seem that bad at all.
Next question.... Are there only 2 Christian schools in Woodstock? I have only come across King and Woodstock Christian ....

Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 7,688 times
Default How do you like it?

We are looking at moving to Woodstock from Greenville SC. How do you like it? I'd love to know what area to look for that is near downtown (to rent). THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta