Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 13,326 times

Advertisements

I ended up doing something stupid last night. I was driving home from Atlanta and ended up getting a ticket on 85 south near Union City. The most I've ever sped is 5-10mph over the limit.

My car had been making a weird noise lately and I decided to push it a bit to see how it would react (Ive heard sometimes pushing it can clean up carbon buildup). This was at 3 am so hardly anyone was on the road. Unlucky for me I let off but I got clocked going 92mph.....

This is my first speeding ticket ever so I don't know how much it would be or if I would get points on my license/court etc. I have to wait 3 days before I can call to see how much its going to be. Can anyone chime in on how screwed I am?

Edit: I am 23 and got my license at 16.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Let's just say I hope you aren't a "cute" type of guy. Bubba don't much go for the rugged types.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
Don't worry about the points, worry about the insurance b/c no matter what you plea (NO LO), it goes on your MVR and they check on avg. every 3 years, 23 over is not too bad, I"m guessing $5/month on you insurance, that's what my last one was

Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me comes along and chimes in on this.

I think Georgia's super speeder law goes into effect at 85mph+ on a freeway.

That means you get fined the usual amount + an extra $200.

You will likely get 3-4 points on your license, but this is a non-issue IF you have a clean driving record and mostly keep it. It is really only a problem if you continually have trouble. (you can't get more than 15 points in a 2 year period)

What was the posted speed limit?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 13,326 times
The posted speed was 65mph. Im thinking I can take a defensive driving course and show up to court with the certificate, Ive heard they can lower the charges. But if I do that, do I plead guilty or not guilty? If I pay it online its auto guilty plea. But If I go to court I cant see how I can plead not guilty and work out a deal when in fact its pretty obvious Im guilty of speeding.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,179 times
Wow, that is going to be an enormous fine. If it's less than $400 I'd call you lucky.

As far as I know a driving school is only going to reduce the points on your license, not the fine. The violation will still be on your record and your insurance company will still find out about it. Sometimes if you plead guilty or have a valid excuse (which you don't) they might reduce the speed by a few MPH but that's not going to help you in this case because you'll still be in Super Speeder territory and still well over the limit.

You should call the courthouse and ask these questions. They will give you the best answers.

Next time you need to "clean carbon deposits," you might find using a lower gear to be the more economical option

Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,604 times
You would need to contact courts and/or seek an attorney. No one on here can provide you with pricing or legal information. Expect an administrator to come through here any day now and close this thread!! Sorry

Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Your fine will almost certainly be over $500 and you will get 4 points, unless you get a lawyer and get it reduced.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,514 times
You are allowed a nolo plea if you have not done so in the past three years. It'll get you less points and a lowered fine, depending on the procedures of teh court the citation is filed in.

Poimnts are assessed as folows per 40-5-57

Exceeding the speed limit by more than 14 miles per hour but less then
19 miles per hour.............................................2 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 19 miles per hour or more but less than 24
miles per hour.............................................. ..3 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 24 miles per hour or more but less than 34
miles per hour.............................................. ..4 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 34 miles per hour or more..........6 points
Super Speeder statute

40-6-189. Classification as super speeder; fees; funding for trauma care system.

(a) As used in this Code section, the term "department" means the Department of Driver Services.

(b) In addition to any other fines or penalties imposed by any local jurisdiction or the department, the department shall administer and collect a fee of $200.00 from any driver who is convicted of driving at a speed of 85 miles per hour or more on any road or highway or 75 miles per hour or more on any two-lane road or highway, as defined in Code Section 40-6-187. Such a driver, upon conviction, shall be classified as a "super speeder."

Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpilot1 View Post
The posted speed was 65mph. Im thinking I can take a defensive driving course and show up to court with the certificate, Ive heard they can lower the charges. But if I do that, do I plead guilty or not guilty? If I pay it online its auto guilty plea. But If I go to court I cant see how I can plead not guilty and work out a deal when in fact its pretty obvious Im guilty of speeding.
Plead no-lo! I have done this many times and typically they reduce the fine but you will still have to pay the Super Speeder fine ($200). But remember, you can only plead no-lo once every five years in each jurisdiction. So try to avoid getting another ticket in Union City.

You can take a defensive driving class, but that will only reduce the amount of points on your driving record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta