Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 18,584 times

Advertisements

Hi...

There is the possibility that I will be relocating to Atlanta and working at the CDC (Emory area). I am looking for suggestions on what areas to look at. Currently, I have looked online at the Dunwoody and Sandy Springs areas. I've also seen some nice homes (and new construction ) in John's Creek and Alphretta but am not sure what commutes would be like.

Here are my details....

My wife and I have two children (1 and 3 years old). We are looking for an area with a really good school district. This is important to us!!! We currently live in an area with schools that are so bad we were considering home schooling!

As far as housing, we are looking for a 4/3-ish. The extra bedroom is important for guests and would be an office as well if the house does not have one. We are likely to top our budget at 400K but would really like to stay under 350K if possible. Another item we would like to avoid is the 'zero lot line' where you can waive to your neighbor through the windows since the houses are so close! Ugh...

I seen a ton of new houses being built in the Johns Creek area. I am not sure what the commute would be from here. I also do not know if the new housing here is zero lot line. If we bought an older house in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area, we would want something updated. I like the detail in older houses but would need the bigger/updated kitchen and want the bigger master bed/bath.

So... the questions:

1) recommendations for areas to look
2) commute times for Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, Alphretta
3) is the budget and wants/needs realistic for this area
4) what are schools like in each of these areas
5) what is the social life in these areas? (do you see kids in the street playing together?)

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,188 times
Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Johns Creek, Alpharetta commutes to the CDC would all STINK imo! Since the CDC is not really close to a highway, you would need to circumnavigate surface streets after you make the trek down on congested highways. You would have to take 400, which outside 285 is pretty terrible. Overall, the commute just isn't pretty. I would suggest looking in neighborhoods zoned to Briarlake and Oak Grove elementary schools. Excellent schools and your commute would only involve the surface streets, no highways. You will find little new construction in your price range, but plenty of renovated older homes. These will be the neighborhoods to the east of the CDC. You may also want to look to the south of the CDC in Candler Park and Lake Claire. Also good schools (although big issues with redistricting right now in the city of Atlanta). Your budget won't go as far and also few new construction. You will, however, find tons of CDC and Emory people living in these neighborhoods, and far fewer in the outlying suburbs.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Would you be at the main campus or a different location of the CDC? Do you know?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 18,584 times
I believe I would be on the main campus on Clifton Road.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Look into Kirkwood. I know several neighbors that commute to CDC\Emory area. Kirkwood is close enough that you could ride a MARTA or Cliff Bus to get there if you would rather do that than drive. Its mostly 2-lane roads from Kirkwood to Emory, but no major chock points like commuting south from north fulton. Kirkwood offers a great in-town neighborhood with a strong sense of community. We look out for each other and kids are all the time playing at the neighborhoods 5 parks.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Do you know what your hours would be? Two of my neighbors are microbiologists at the Clifton Road campus, and they work 6am-2pm. The early start/end times allow them to live up in Canton in Cherokee County, where you'll get more bang for your buck than some of the closer-in areas, while avoiding the traffic that they'd have to deal with if they had 9-5 positions.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
Commuting from Johns Creek to CDC Clifton campus during rush hour would be a nightmare. I know that people who work at the CDC get to telecommute, maybe you have that option now and then. Or if you choose Johns Creek, you could work a schedule to avoid the rush hour times. Though the public schools are generally not good, I recommend living in Dekalb county if you are limited to working rush hour times (Decatur / Tucker / Dunwoody).

Johns Creek has great public schools and you can find plenty of earlier topics where it is already mentioned. Johns Creek suburban living is definitely centered around families with school-aged children.

If I were you, I would try to rent first, get to know the area, and then buy.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
I agree with rent first, buy later. While it will be a hassle, in this real estate market, if you buy and then change your mind, most likely you are looking at an expensive mistake.

I also think Peachtree Corners would work for you as well. It is in Gwinnett, which is a stronger school system than DeKalb and offers newer (not new) homes than the SS and Dunwoody, but is a reasonable commute. Your price range for what you are looking for it going to be tight for SS and Dunwoody, especially renovated, but in this market you might get lucky.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,005 times
This thread is following two areas that would be a better fit (Link below).

Sandy Springs you really only want to be in the Heards Ferry district. Great school (alum here) but your commute would stink if you're traveling during rush hours. High Point is better as of late. Same commute problem.

Montgomery ES district would be a great fit for your price point. Lots of homes just under and just above $400k. Morningside would probably be a bit too expensive.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...rningside.html

Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Commuting from Johns Creek to CDC Clifton campus during rush hour would be a nightmare. I know that people who work at the CDC get to telecommute, maybe you have that option now and then. Or if you choose Johns Creek, you could work a schedule to avoid the rush hour times. Though the public schools are generally not good, I recommend living in Dekalb county if you are limited to working rush hour times (Decatur / Tucker / Dunwoody).

Johns Creek has great public schools and you can find plenty of earlier topics where it is already mentioned. Johns Creek suburban living is definitely centered around families with school-aged children.

If I were you, I would try to rent first, get to know the area, and then buy.
Would it be that bad of a drive? You can pretty much drive straight in from Johns Creek on PIB. Once you get past 285, its smooth sailings into Dekalb.

Same for 285. No traffic heading southbound.

Long as you avoid 85, I don't think it would be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta