Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM

19 posts, read 35,524 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I am a longtime reader of these forums and love the wealth of information that’s provided here. I am debating on relocating to either Atlanta or Pittsburgh, PA. I run my own business and it will be equally viable in either location. I plan on staying in the area longterm. I am a thirty something single guy. I have family and friends in both locations so it’s really a toss-up for me. My concern with Atlanta is that it was so over built during the boom. I know it’s been discussed a few times already but I am concerned about Atlanta’s future. Unemployment is higher in Atlanta. Also, the traffic and congestion is an issue for me. I am getting the vibe after reading other posts that higher income professionals with options are choosing other cities. Atlanta feels very transient to me, where as Pittsburgh seems more stable. My big negative with Pittsburgh is that it’s a smaller city and the single life there is not as good as Atlanta. (Weather is not a big deal for me)

This is an article that I just came across: 5 best and 5 worst U.S. housing markets, long term - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-best-5-worst-u-050113461.html - broken link). I know different surveys come out every other day but I would like to hear the opinions of some locals

If you were in my shoes where would you go? Thanks

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM

183 posts, read 196,837 times
Not Pittburgh.

That isn't much of a choice unless you like smaller cold towns and lots of men.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
"smaller" cold "towns" ????

Pittsburgh was a city when Atlanta was in diapers.

Atlanta is still playing catch up in cultural amenities and Atlanta outside of a few intown neighborhoods, can't hold anything to Pittsburgh's abundance of areas of character and walkability.

Both cities have pros and cons, but let's not get into ignorant statements like:

Quote:
Not Pittburgh.

That isn't much of a choice unless you like smaller cold towns and lots of men.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,729 times
Stay away from PGH! Cold small, minded no diveristy "town" not a major city

Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,135 times
Pittsburgh is full of single women(the steelhouse!). They have traffic also, but not like Atl. Pittsburgh is not as professional as Atlanta. Pittsburgh reminds me of a huge college city, with liberal-type students everywhere. Atlanta is more spread out with pockets of density in certain spots.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 PM

397 posts, read 843,472 times
I'd say Atlanta.

I grew up in PA but love it in the Atlanta area.

Unemployment is higher in GA that some other states but it's not something I am made aware of on a regular basis. (not taking anything away from those who are looking for work)

I know you said the weather is not a big deal to you. I felt the same way when I moved down. Now that I'm used to the weather here - especially the mild winters, it would be hard to move back up north.

The single scene is good here. I would imagine better than Pittsburgh. There is lots of character in and around Atlanta if that's what you are looking for depite comments above. Depending on one's definition of "character" I could probably do with a little less character in some places.

Lastly, many in Atlanta are transplants which makes it easy to meet people. I would think (but don't know this) that many people in Pittsburgh have grown up in the area which may make it harder to break into a group.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
Quote:
There is lots of character in and around Atlanta
No, Atlanta lacks character outside of a few nice intown neighborhoods.

Once again, both cities have a lot to offer depending on preferences, character and urban qualities are not Atlanta's strength.

Quote:
not a major city
Once again, complete ignorance. Pittsburgh was an established major city even before air conditioning.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,035 times
gee, I hope these aren't your only two options.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
I don't think you can get objective opinions here. It is an Atlanta board after all and will certainly be pro-Atlanta.

I've lived in both. Atlanta's best characteristic is its milder winters. Very little snow and ice. And if it hits, its gone within a week. Last year's ice storm was perhaps a 1 in 20 years thing. For scenic beauty, since the smoke from the steel mills have cleared, Pittsburgh has a much more attractive topography and naturally has the rivers.

Atlanta women are more attractive. There are more women than men in Pittsburgh but as women live longer that can skew the data. Making friends in Pittsburgh is harder as it is not very transient and people there can have friends from grade school. Although you said you had family and friends in both places.

Atlanta is more diverse. As for race, Pittsburgh is more white but even Pittsburgh has a black heritage. August Wilson came from there and used it often in his plays. Admittedly he left but at that time racism was a problem across America. There is a gay community in Pittsburgh but can't compare to Atlanta's.

Atlanta has Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh Carnegie Mellon. The University of Pittsburgh's med school is on par with Emory. Duquesne is about on par with Georgia State although GSU being public is much cheaper. Pittsburgh's culture and arts certainly can match or even better Atlanta's. So considering it is about half the size of Atlanta, it hold up for amenities. But if you fly a lot and need connections to almost anywhere, obvious Atlanta is your choice.

Pittsburgh's unemployment is much lower but I don't think its economy is as dynamic. At his point they both seem to be as attractive in terms of jobs. Atlanta has a better public transportation system if that is important to you.

They are about equal in sports as Atlanta has lost its hockey team for the second time. So do you like basketball or hockey? The best basketball you can get in Pittsburgh is at Pitt.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
I lived 15 years in Pittsburgh and 5 and counting in Atlanta. Mathman pointed out some excellent points but the bottom line for me is the racism. Here IN Atlanta I did not see as much as in Pittsburgh due to the overwhelming cultures. The attitude towards race OUTSIDE of Atlanta as well as Pittsburgh is pretty much the same terrible. The crime rate in Atlanta is higher but the police seem to be more effective in solving high profile cases quicker. The jobs are easier to get in Pittsburgh (providing you are not from there). Granted the weather is milder here in Atlanta, but if it gets bad (2-3 inches of snow) there are accidents galore! Atlanta has a better variety of food and stores. The traffic is better in Pittsburgh even during rush hour.

I guess if I was single and had a decent job I would pick Atlanta, if I was married and looking for a job it would be Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta