Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

I don't know, Gwinnett just seems to be doing a lot better at avoiding infighting and making significant investments. Cobb has, of course, attracted numerous medium-sized economic development projects, which is good, and has a number of really nice features. But it seems to be a good bit more polarized, or at least it's portrayed that way.
Excellent observation. The geographical and political splits that you have in DeKalb (North vs South), in Fulton (North vs South vs the City of Atlanta), and to a lesser extent in Cobb (East Cobb vs the rest of the county), aren't as apparent in Gwinnett. That makes it much easier to reach a consensus to attract major industries to the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
Based on a few articles I read, it looks like Mitsubishi already employs 200 people in Gwinnett County across 3 buildings. They are consolidating into this one large facility at this time, and making it more modern etc. and calling it HQ, and investing 25M into the facility.

Over the next decade they expect to double their workforce.

Something good, but not the huge news it first sounds like.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Based on a few articles I read, it looks like Mitsubishi already employs 200 people in Gwinnett County across 3 buildings. They are consolidating into this one large facility at this time, and making it more modern etc. and calling it HQ, and investing 25M into the facility.

Over the next decade they expect to double their workforce.

Something good, but not the huge news it first sounds like.
To me, this is yet another instance that flies in the face of the "we can't attract/maintain big corporate HQs" meme. There have been numerous stories of companies consolidating their presence into a major new Atlanta office, or relocating their regional/divisional/American HQ from one part of the metro to another--all of these represent significant investments. That's not what you do when you're about to bolt for another city.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Okay, I'm like, so confused.

How do you extend Sugarloaf to 316? It already goes there.

And how does it go to Mall of Georgia? It's bascially and east/west road, how is it going to curve to the north? That extension would be in the middle of where Sugarloaf is now, so it sounds to me like a new road, not an extension of Sugarloaf.

This is confusing.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

And how does it go to Mall of Georgia? It's bascially and east/west road, how is it going to curve to the north? That extension would be in the middle of where Sugarloaf is now, so it sounds to me like a new road, not an extension of Sugarloaf.

This is confusing.
It will be sort of a "U" shaped road, starting at P.I.B. in Duluth and ending at P.I.B. in Sugar Hill.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:

This is confusing.
It basically forms a partial loop around downtown Lawrenceville--316 is kind of the top half of the loop (316 too will be limited access...someday).

Once it gets to 316, it is going to go northwest until it gets it 85 and the Mall of Georgia. If you look at Google Earth, it shows the completed 5 mile limited access section and the earthwork for the interchange with 316. You can also very easily see the ROW for the roadway as it goes to I-85.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:

This is confusing.
Don't skip the links we keep providing.

The southern portion that is built/being built... its almost at 316 oin the eastern end:
lawrenceville, ga - Google Maps

The northern portion (all unbuilt). You will need to look for it, but there is a narrow corridor of green trees that is clear of new subdivisions. This is the right of way Gwinnett County bought a long time ago in anticipation of some type of outer Perimeter. The Gwinnett portion will now be used for Sugarloaf. This portion is just east (right of) Old Peachtree Rd and passes over Old Fountain Rd. You can follow that narrow trail all the way to the Mall of Georgia and down to 316
lawrenceville, ga - Google Maps

Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Oh, I see. I saw the map, but couldn't tell what I was looking at.

I live near Sugarloaf, but on the P.I.B. side. So I guess this extension really isn't going to help me at all, but it's good for Lawrenceville.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Excellent observation. The geographical and political splits that you have in DeKalb (North vs South), in Fulton (North vs South vs the City of Atlanta), and to a lesser extent in Cobb (East Cobb vs the rest of the county), aren't as apparent in Gwinnett. That makes it much easier to reach a consensus to attract major industries to the county.
I think it's also because the I-85 corridor is more important than I-75.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 884,020 times
Quote:
Can you explain what you mean about Sugarloaf Parkway becoming a limited access highway?

I'm not aware of any such plan.
"Limited access" means that the only way to enter or exit the highway is at an interchange. Intersections, driveways, and private roads are prohibited, hence the term "limited access."

Ordinary roads are burdened with the requirement that adjacent property owners have the right to build driveways to connect to them. Limited access highways are protected from driveway access, although the state has to provide alternate access if building a limited access highway leaves a property landlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta