Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have experience with any of the specialty schools in Atlanta serving children with dyslexia/language-based learning disorders? If so, what were your impressions?

Anyone have experience with The Swift School in Roswell (a newer school for students with dyslexia)?

TIA for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Do any of you have experience with any of the specialty schools in Atlanta serving children with dyslexia/language-based learning disorders? If so, what were your impressions?

Anyone have experience with The Swift School in Roswell (a newer school for students with dyslexia)?

TIA for any help!
Schenck and Speech are both highly regarded for what they do. Both schools screen potential students and generally only accept those that they can help.

Most students spend just a few years there. Wardlaw at Speech generally won't accept students with much more than mild disabilities. I think Schenck is more flexible.

I am hearing good things about Swift, but have no personal experience with it.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
We applied to Schenck for 2nd grade for my dyslexic child. She was accepted as appropriate for the program but we were wait listed and ultimately we didn't get a spot. The following year we looked at Swift. In the interim we did intensive tutoring. Swift agreed my child was not a great fit as she was ahead of their typical student but they accepted her anyway. We decided not to send her there. We tried again for Schenck this year (4th) but after so much tutoring and remediation she was far ahead of there typical student. They advised us on what would be the best path and made some very helpful recommendations. We weren't sure when we applied whether she needed a full time program but wanted to make sure we were making the right choice. Basically their opinion was with help she could be successful in a traditional school.

My good friend has a child much like my own. Compensates well and did well in public school. He was accepted at and she decided to send him to Swift and they have been very happy. She loves the welcoming community and her child is thriving. She raves about Swift.

I think Swift is willing to take students with a wider variety and scope of learning differences. Scheck is pretty selective. I believe most kids stay at Schenck for two or three years and many kids at Swift stay there for much longer.

I just want to add that intensive Orton Gillingham tutoring (1 hour 3X per week for us with review at home and more intensive in the summer) can be very helpful. It made a huge difference for us and we were fortunate enough to identify the dyslexia early. I can't stress enough that starting early is the way to go. A few years ago I never would have believed it could make such a difference. It's a good path in the interim.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by kaday; 01-28-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Thanks, kaday, for the info.

We might be in a similar position as you were. My son (1st grader currently) is high IQ (130) and "borderline" dyslexic. He is currently receiving "pull-out" help for 30 min. three times per week at his current school, but it does not appear to be enough. We did intensive tutoring last summer with an O-G tutor, and that helped a lot, but the school feels he has "plateaued."

We went to Swift this week and they do feel that he is a good candidate, but I am concerned that (as you said) there's a wider variety of LD's there and he may get bored if he is moving along more quickly than some of the others. The Admissions Director also asked us our opinion on whether he might become bored when instructed more slowly in his areas of strength (e.g., math), so I think she may have similar concerns.

I think that Schenck would be the best fit, but I also understand how tight the competition for a few spots. The Swift lady said she thought he "would be Schenck's cup of tea," but, obviously, there are no guarantees.

We do have the option of returning to the outside tutor, but I also worry about burn-out. He is very tired after school, and has just recently stopped having meltdowns when we ask him to read at home. I fear the return of major meltdowns if he is asked to go to tutoring sessions after a long day at school.

We've got an observation scheduled at Schenck in late Feb., so I know he's still in the pool for consideration. We still haven't heard anything from Speech.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Thanks, kaday, for the info.

We might be in a similar position as you were. My son (1st grader currently) is high IQ (130) and "borderline" dyslexic. He is currently receiving "pull-out" help for 30 min. three times per week at his current school, but it does not appear to be enough. We did intensive tutoring last summer with an O-G tutor, and that helped a lot, but the school feels he has "plateaued."

We went to Swift this week and they do feel that he is a good candidate, but I am concerned that (as you said) there's a wider variety of LD's there and he may get bored if he is moving along more quickly than some of the others. The Admissions Director also asked us our opinion on whether he might become bored when instructed more slowly in his areas of strength (e.g., math), so I think she may have similar concerns.

I think that Schenck would be the best fit, but I also understand how tight the competition for a few spots. The Swift lady said she thought he "would be Schenck's cup of tea," but, obviously, there are no guarantees.

We do have the option of returning to the outside tutor, but I also worry about burn-out. He is very tired after school, and has just recently stopped having meltdowns when we ask him to read at home. I fear the return of major meltdowns if he is asked to go to tutoring sessions after a long day at school.

We've got an observation scheduled at Schenck in late Feb., so I know he's still in the pool for consideration. We still haven't heard anything from Speech.

Thanks for the tips!
Have him spend a day at Swift. That was what made us decide it wasn't the right place. She was too borderline and the level much to easy. I did really like the school but turns out regular was the way to go for us. It's been somewhat tough but we manage with a lot of success and a lot of struggle. Par for the course I guess. I really hope things pan out for you.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Good advice. We will definitely do that. My husband is inclined to write Swift off and a) hope for Schenck or Speech or, if not accepted, b) continue at current school with intensive tutoring outside of school. It's just hard to know what is the right choice. I do hope that Swift will be honest with us if he is too borderline and that they're not just looking for folks to pay the tuition (sorry to be cynical, but these schools have spots to fill).

Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
We had a great experience with Atlanta Speech School. A fantastic place.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 8,727 times
All 3 of my children went to Schenck, oldest from 2nd-5th, middle child 1st-3rd, and youngest 1st and second grade. The school is amazing, fa nominal. The teachers are very supportive and they know our family well, we were the first family to have 3 children at the school all at the same time. They will sometimes have different class rooms for different paces in which students learn. They normally will tell you if your child should stay another year or if that should be their last year. My family regrets leaving our oldest daughter there another year. And we regret taking my youngest son out too early. We found a school that started a new resource program for children who have dyslexia and/or a hard time learning things. I would MOST DEFINITELY recommend Schenck to everyone, and the environment is so loving and helpful.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Hi, I realize that this thread is a year old, but it tracks with my question. Do any of you have experience with summer programs at Speech/Wardlaw, Schenck or the Howard School? Our rising first grader has tested high IQ, mild dyslexia and the psychologist recommended tutoring and summer school. Schenck and Speech's camps are 4 weeks long, and they sound so boring. . .I hate to do it to her! I am sure they are fabulous, I'm just wondering if one is more fun than the other, or if I am missing some other option...Thank you in advance!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM

I'm the OP. We wound up staying at our current school and doing the Early Adventures Camp at Schenck. Although it was school-like in portions, my son really didn't complain too much and seemed happy to go every day. I do think it made a big difference for him. I would recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: