Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 13,603 times

Advertisements

Atlanta: Midtown or Downtown?

Hey City Data!

I do a lot of relocating with my job, so I just wanted some insight on this because this might be my next move. Soooo....

Does anyone stay in Midtown or Downtown Atlanta?
[*]If so, how do you like it? If not, do you know anyone who stays there?
[*]Do you prefer Midtown or Downtown?
[*]Is there a huge difference in the two?
[*]What type of crowd lives there? and what type of vibe?
[*]What are your pros and cons of living in Midtown or Downtown Atlanta?
[*]Can you recommend any websites that cater to that area of Atlanta and that can further my research?

All comments are welcomed...

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Midtown is the best for livability. I don't have the stats but it even feels safer and cleaner.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
There's a pretty big difference. Midtown is the place to be if you want restaurants open after 5pm, and a lot to do.

Some people will tell you downtown is just as good or better. It's because they can't afford midtown. Truth.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,090 times
It All depends on what you like.

The neighborhoods flow together so which ever one you choose you are going to have easy access to the other.

Midtown is more expensive but it is a safe investment. It is a nice area, very popular, and it is lickley to stay this way for a while.Midtown is "newer" and has a vibrant cosmopolitan feel about it. Downtown is cheaper but it is on the rise and any property baught there could be alot more valuable in 5-10 years. Downtown is more Historic and despite what people on this sight like to claim, most of the main/ non-chain resturants are open after 5. There is one rule you must know about Downtown, dont go south of underground.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,880 times
Besides living in the city check out Brookhaven, Atlantic Station, Vining, Decatur, etc

but to answer your question Midtown>>>>Downtown

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,013 times
I prefer Midtown to Downtown, and I'm more specifically biased towards West Midtown (Westside) which has some more affordable options than Midtown (AND with a cool factor to boot! West Midtown is much more laid back than Midtown, IMO.) But honestly, there are great options in all of these neighborhoods.

If you're apartment searching, talk to the folks at Promove and tell them the sorts of things you're looking for in these parts of town. They can help direct you to a solid place.

P.S. I think you should nose around this site for more info on the different ATL neighborhoods: http://clatl.com/atlanta/NeighborhoodGuide

Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,301 times
Midtown by a mile. Downtown turns into a ghost town at nights, except right around Philips Arena on event nights, and even that doesn't last long. Midtown just has an all-around better vibe to it.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 PM

84 posts, read 214,903 times
Does anyone stay in Midtown or Downtown Atlanta? [*]If so, how do you like it? If not, do you know anyone who stays there?
I used to live in Midtown, and would prefer it over downtown. Midtown is safer than downtown.
[*]Do you prefer Midtown or Downtown?
Midtown
[*]Is there a huge difference in the two?
Midtown is more upscale and trendy, close to Piedmont Park and a lot more to do. Downtown has some sketchy areas... Lots of hotels downtown.
[*]What type of crowd lives there? and what type of vibe?
Midtown is fun, trendy, lots to do. Bars, the park, walkable... downtown not so much.
[*]What are your pros and cons of living in Midtown or Downtown Atlanta?
See above.
[*]Can you recommend any websites that cater to that area of Atlanta and that can further my research?
Try this website - atlanta-midtown.com | guide to Atlanta's intown neighborhoods | Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Midtown, Druid Hills, Decatur

Last edited by Blue1Roses; 01-18-2012 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: Needed to add spaces

Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
there is more to do in midtown, it has really come up as the center of night life and whatnot in atlanta. but despite what people tell you, downtown is pretty safe.

there are a lot of homeless people downtown, but many of them are actually US veterans, i've met with some of them down there. the vast majority of the people are either veterans or mentally ill in some way and unable to function. it is a shame that we have so many homeless walking the streets downtown and people automatically think just because they are homeless means they are either criminals or drunks/drug addicts. most of them are just really down on their luck people who no one wants to help.

as for downtown, i wouldn't put it down so much. it is probably the only part of atlanta that looks like new york city. there are tons of historic buildings and lots of hotels and stuff— around the georgia state campus there are restaurants that stay open 24 hours and a lot of neat stuff there. it really has a gritty city feel which a lot of people don't prefer. it is coming up and the northern part of downtown has seen a revitalization. south downtown isn't dangerous or anything, but the shops for the most part are only open during the day, and many of the historic buildings were torn down to make way for... parking lots. not a great part of atlanta's history. hopefully south downtown will be revitalized soon.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There's a pretty big difference. Midtown is the place to be if you want restaurants open after 5pm, and a lot to do.

Some people will tell you downtown is just as good or better. It's because they can't afford midtown. Truth.
LOL.I dont know if I feel insulted or just tickled.What are you talking about?
1)Downtown is cheaper but depending on where,not much cheaper.Especially around Centennial Olympic Park.I used to live in Midtown because even though I could afford it,it was overpriced what you get.Not to mention WAY to much traffic.

2)My nights of socializing with friends has gone up MORE since I have been downtown.I have more space to throw social gatherings!Friends who I admit mostly live in Midtown,hang over my place more than they do in their own.
One of the many things I have showed them (because of their ignorance and prejudices)is the many spots that tend to be more eccletic and unique Downtown than in Midtown.
Eating out late is actually better Downtown than anywhere else in the city.
These are some of my favorites:
Cafe Intermezzo

SWEET GEORGIA'S JUKE JOINT

Anatolia Cafe and Hookah Lounge(stays open on weekends till 2 and during the weekday till 12)

These are most of the spots as listed by Central Atlanta Progress;
255 Tapas Lounge - 255 Peters St
Ashley's - 590 W Peachtree St
Banana Wind - 50 Upper Alabama St
Barley's Sports Bar & Lounge - 338 Peachtree St
Black Lion Café - 253 Auburn Ave
Bottle Rocket - 180 Walker St
Café Circa - 464 Edgewood Ave
Cafe Intermezzo - 141 Carnegie Way
The Chocolate Bar Castleberry Hill - 253 A Trinity Ave
Dania's Restaurant & Lounge - 26 Peachtree St NW
Der Biergarten - 300 Marietta St
DRINKSHOP - 45 Ivan Allen Jr Blvd
Edgewood Corner Tavern - 464 Edgewood Ave
Elliott Street Deli & Pub - 51 Elliott St
Engine 11 Firehouse Tavern - 30 North Ave NE
Fandangles Restaurant and Martini Bar - 165 Courtland St
Footprints Jamaican Restaurant & Lounge - 50 Upper Alabama St
Frequency - 50 Upper Alabama St
Gibney's Pub - 231 Peachtree Center Ave
Harlem Nights Ultra Lounge - 201 Courtland Ave
High Velocity - 265 Peachtree Center Ave
Hill Street Tavern - 349 Decatur St
Icon Lounge - 257 Trinity Ave SW
Indigo Bar - 619 Edgewood Ave
Latitudes Lounge - 190 Marietta St
Legal Sea Foods - 275 Baker St NW
Living Room - 45 Ivan Allen Jr Blvd
Luckie Food Lounge - 375 Luckie St
Lumen - 181 Peachtree St NE
Masquerade - 695 North Ave NE
Max Lager's Wood Fired Grill and Brewery - 320 Peachtree St
Meehan's Public House - 200 Peachtree St NW
Midtown Tavern - 554 Piedmont Ave
Mingles Martini Bar & Grill - 182 Courtland St
Miso Izakaya - 619 Edgewood Ave
No Mas! Cantina - 180 Walker St
Noni's Bar & Deli - 357 Edgewood Ave
Pal's Lounge & Restaurant - 254 Auburn Ave NE
Panther's Den - 75 Piedmont Avenue
Pizzeria Vesuvius - 327 Edgewood Ave
Pulse - 265 Peachtree Center Ave
Republic Social House - 437-C Memorial Dr SE
The Reserve - 464 Edgewood Ave
Royal Peacock - 186 Auburn Ave NE
Scores Sports Bar - 50 Upper Alabama St
Sidebar Atlanta - 79 Poplar St
Sister Louisa's Church of the Living Room - 466 Edgewood Ave
Six Feet Under - 437 Memorial Dr
Sky Lounge - 110 Marietta St
The Sound Table - 483 Edgewood Ave
Spanish Harlem - 262 Edgewood Ave
Star Jazz & Blues Lounge - 177 Peters St
Stats - 300 Marietta St
Studio 281 - 281 Peters St
SubZero - 50 Upper Alabama St
Sun Dial Restaurant, Bar and View - 210 Peachtree St NW
Sweet Georgia's Juke Joint - 200 Peachtree St
Thrive - 101 Marietta St
Tin Lizzy's Cantina - 415 Memorial Dr
Trader Vic's - 255 Courtland St
Truva - 60 Andrew Young International Blvd
Twenty-Two Storys Bar & Lounge - 265 Peachtree St NE
Uptown Comedy Corner - 800 Marietta St
Vice - 255 Trinity Ave
Wetbar - 45 Ivan Allen Jr Blvd
Wine Shoe - 339 Nelson St
Young Augustine's - 327 Memorial Dr
90% of them are open at least after 9pm well past your absurd 5pm comment.
Whether its good or better is very subjective,but as you just proved most Midtowners and Buckhead residents are CLUELESS about what or even where is Downtown but feel qualified to make such outlandish statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta