Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 AM

9 posts, read 20,011 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am moving to atlanta in couple of months. I was looking at fulton county north because I want my daughter to go to north springs high. I am interested in any feedback on the area or the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
I guess from the brief thing you put in your post, you should look for a place in the North Spring HS feeder area.

http://portal.fultonschools.org/depa...ngsHS_1112.pdf

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
When I was a little kid, we lived in a neighborhood called Princeton Square right off of Dalrymple. The houses are quite large and sit on beautiful wooded lots. I lived there in 1980, so the houses are at least that old. From what I recall, they were built with quality, so they should still be holding up pretty well.

Back in those days, North Springs High was a good school, but I never hear it mentioned in conversations of the best schools in Atlanta anymore.

It's hard to believe they let a school that serves such a nice and relatively affluent area of town go downhill, but apparently they have.

Nowadays, if you are looking for good schools in Fulton county, you're going to have to go further north to Johns Creek/Roswell/Alpharetta. Converseley, you can go to East Cobb or certain parts of Gwinnett/Forsyth counties.

Or maybe the reputations are just wrong? It sounds like the education of your daughter is important to you, so if I were you, I would do very thorough research on North Springs High. Hopefully some people here will have some inside knowledge.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM

161 posts, read 405,562 times
North Springs High does very well considering that many students come from less affluent families overall (than the most affluent North Fulton school clusters). The school is well known for its' two strong magnet programs:
1) Math & Science
2) Visual and Performing Arts

It's definitely worth going there if your daughter is interested in these departments of study.

For those of you who are interested, check out the notable alumni on the school's Wiki page... don't want to spoil it here so take a look for yourself

The zipcodes that serve this school are 30328 and 30350.

If you'll be renting first, I can recommend some decent and affordable apartments nearby.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,665 times
We live in the Centennial district, but my son, who's in ninth grade at Centennial this year, is considering applying for the magnet program at North Springs for next year. Nothing negative about Centennial per se, just that he's interested in both the math/science magnet program and the graphic design opportunities at NS, and Centennial doesn't have anything comparable to offer. He and my wife visited North Springs during school hours last week and were both very favorably impressed.

North Springs does have a less affluent population than most other north Fulton County districts, with 40% of the student body eligible for free/reduced lunch programs. This is largely a function of the significant number of apartments within the district, along Roswell Road.

North Springs became a charter school a few years ago; the school's charter renewal for 2012-2015 is currently pending, and includes a proposal to better integrate the entire student body with the current magnet programs by organizing the academic offerings and student body into four "communities": math/science, visual and performing arts, humanities, and career/technical education. The charter petition is online at http://www.northspringshigh.com/inde...newal-petition . Would probably be worth looking at if you're considering this district.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:14 AM

9 posts, read 20,011 times
I am planning on renting, but I want to rent like a townhouse or a house not an apartment. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 AM

161 posts, read 405,562 times
To find rental homes/TH's it would probably be best to check out Craigslist or call Promove too see if they can help, it's a free service so never hurts to check it out. Overall Sandy Springs is a nice area to live with good access to any amenity you can imagine. We enjoyed living there, but moved to Johns Creek because we could buy a better home for our growing family. Wish you the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta