Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,969,800 times

Advertisements

Thank you Lawd I don't have any kids..

Now Parents can get jail time and or a fine if their kids don't go to school. I wonder at what age can a kid drop out of school in G.A.?

Student truancy can spell $1,000 fine, jail for parents *| ajc.com

This is going to get real ugly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,840 times
My children go to private schools so there are possibly more/different rules about attendance, etc. So I do not know what the attendance procedures are in APS. I do not believe parents should be fined or sentenced to jail if their child does not show up at school, unless they helped the child skip school. Because my wife or I drop off our sons at their schools and they could leave the campus when we drop them off and we would have no clue. In a situation like that I did all I could to get them to school, except walking them into their classroom. In a situation like that the child should be punished. Now if a parent is sitting around the house and their children are still sleeping when they should be in school and do nothing those parents should get in trouble. I believe you can call the police and have them pick your kids up and bring them to school if they refuse to go.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 AM

249 posts, read 650,570 times
The most ridiculous thing I have ever heard ! 10 unexcused abscences .... seriously ? I don't know about here but back in NJ unexcused simply means you need a doctor's note... who takes their kid to a doctor for every sniffle... and then I saw how they can take away their driver's license... that is just so wrong.
What will they do with all the single parents out there that prob just trying to make ends meet and now you are going to fine them? Or better yet... give them jail time... so then what send CS to take custody of the child while the parent is in jail and now just one more child part of the system???? Does anybody else what is going on here ????
They will do whatever to break apart the family unit.... it's a means to an end !

Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
I feel it is warranted in a lot of situations actually since truancy is a big problem for APS. Plenty of parents don't send their elementary aged children to school because the parents are too lazy to get up and take them. Also it is a parent's responsibility to ensure their kids get to school. I don't see what is so bad about it and I have a child who attends an APS charter school.

Also wanted to note that in APS if you write a note and send it with your kid saying that they were sick, then the absence is excused, you don't necessarily need a note from a doctor. Some parents are too lazy to write notes or just don't care. If you communicate to the school that the child is ill it will be excused and won't count as truancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: