Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Do you just mean that you prefer the outdoor lifestyle center vibe?

Because one thing about GP is that it is definitely suffering from a ton of vacancy. However, the infrastructure of the mall itself is totally fine. The mall is still large, clean, inviting, and decently modern. It doesn't have the dated and depressed look that you find in some malls. I think if they could fill GP with decent stores, it would only need a minor facelift to get it to compete with pretty much any major mall.

Having said that, I never liked the remodel the mall got in the late 90s. Remember when it had that integrated waterfall that cascaded down natural looking rocks adjacent to one of the stairwells? I loved that. Then they replaced it with a rather generic mall fountain. One thing about Atlanta is that for a metro with so many malls, we really don't have one with any kind of notable water feature anymore.
I vaguely remember it. I also vaguely remember a small creek feature, but it wasn't natural looking.

What I really remember is when it use to be soooo coooool to sit next to the fountain in the food court and the little metal fishes had a water stream out of their mouths.

I was always a disappointed kid when we couldn't get a seat next to it.

I think I have been spoiled by the the Mall of Georgia. To me GP feels like a blank slate inside. The Mall of Georgia is full of interesting things to look at. It just feels nicer and has a bit more character. Even the outside isn't just a boring square textured cement looking.

The forum, while outside, it gives you somewhat that village kind of character.

I guess the Avenue is kind of mundane in comparison, but how can you go wrong with brick in the South!?

But it is also positioning. The traditional and new suburban areas of the county that had more money are closer to one of the other 3. I can get to the Avenue easier than GP.

Many in South western Duluth, Berkley Lake, and Peachtree Corners can easily get to the forum.

The new areas tend to be closer to the Mall of Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
I hear you.

I wish I could write off GP because no matter what I think, it's probably going to die a slow and painful death.

My problem is even though it's only a little bit further to Mall of Georgia, it's almost impossible to get there without hitting some form of traffic. Same thing with Forum....it's not as bad, but I can't get there without having to deal with some combination of Peachtree Industrial, State Bridge, and/or Medlock Bridge. What I like about GP is no matter what is going on, I can easily access it using a network of back neighborhood roads that are never congested even if it is 6pm on Friday.

I can get to Sugarloaf Mills pretty easily, too, but it's not a regular mall.

Probably more than anything else, I miss the multitude of rather inexpensive casual dining restaurants that used to surround GP. The mall would have to be very successful for a very long time to ever see anything like that again. If you don't want fast food or some form of Asian food, there is very little to eat around GP anymore. Even Fuddrucker's bit the big one.

I like Mall of Georgia just fine, but it just gets too crowded. It's easier to get into the PF Chang's at Perimeter than the one at MoG. I saw the fireworks at MoG this year on the fourth of July and leaving was the most frustrating experience of my life. We eventually just gave up and had drinks at the Mexican restaurant while waiting for it to clear out. For such a master planned shopping area, they really did a very poor job laying it out for proper traffic flow.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Quote:
I hear you.

I wish I could write off GP because no matter what I think, it's probably going to die a slow and painful death.

My problem is even though it's only a little bit further to Mall of Georgia, it's almost impossible to get there without hitting some form of traffic. Same thing with Forum....it's not as bad, but I can't get there without having to deal with some combination of Peachtree Industrial, State Bridge, and/or Medlock Bridge. What I like about GP is no matter what is going on, I can easily access it using a network of back neighborhood roads that are never congested even if it is 6pm on Friday.

I can get to Sugarloaf Mills pretty easily, too, but it's not a regular mall.

Probably more than anything else, I miss the multitude of rather inexpensive casual dining restaurants that used to surround GP. The mall would have to be very successful for a very long time to ever see anything like that again. If you don't want fast food or some form of Asian food, there is very little to eat around GP anymore. Even Fuddrucker's bit the big one.

I like Mall of Georgia just fine, but it just gets too crowded. It's easier to get into the PF Chang's at Perimeter than the one at MoG. I saw the fireworks at MoG this year on the fourth of July and leaving was the most frustrating experience of my life. We eventually just gave up and had drinks at the Mexican restaurant while waiting for it to clear out. For such a master planned shopping area, they really did a very poor job laying it out for proper traffic flow.
When I still lived in Gwinnett I flat out refused to go to MoG because the traffic is horrendous no matter what time of day it is and God forbid there is some kind of event. There is literally one road to access the entire district. It's pure insanity

As far as Sears and JCPenney's leaving GP, I highly doubt it. There really is no where else for either of those anchors to go. Nordstrom has in their contract at Simon that there cannot be a Sears in the same mall, and I belive that continues to JCPenney.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 11,910 times
My husband does the fire system inspections at GPM. From what he's heard, there is talk of tearing the mall down and rebuilding as a mall with a retractable roof and a parking deck. Don't know how much of that is just rumors he's heard or actual discussion among the malls owners/operators. I used to love going to GPM, but it's become so run down that I won't go there at all. The last time I went, I didn't feel comfortable, welcome or safe. It's turning into a blight and really needs to go. I hope they can come up with a solution. It's a shame we have to drive all the way up to MOG to shop.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalExPat View Post
My husband does the fire system inspections at GPM. From what he's heard, there is talk of tearing the mall down and rebuilding as a mall with a retractable roof and a parking deck. Don't know how much of that is just rumors he's heard or actual discussion among the malls owners/operators. I used to love going to GPM, but it's become so run down that I won't go there at all. The last time I went, I didn't feel comfortable, welcome or safe. It's turning into a blight and really needs to go. I hope they can come up with a solution. It's a shame we have to drive all the way up to MOG to shop.
Retractable roof mall? Are the falcons playing there?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM

764 posts, read 1,108,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
When I still lived in Gwinnett I flat out refused to go to MoG because the traffic is horrendous no matter what time of day it is and God forbid there is some kind of event. There is literally one road to access the entire district. It's pure insanity

As far as Sears and JCPenney's leaving GP, I highly doubt it. There really is no where else for either of those anchors to go. Nordstrom has in their contract at Simon that there cannot be a Sears in the same mall, and I belive that continues to JCPenney.
It may be true that Nordstom has in their contract with Simon that Sears can't be in the same mall. However, as a matter of history, when Nordstrom opened at Perimeter Mall in 1998, JC Penney was still in business there until they closed in 2002 to make room for Dillard's. Presently, JC Penney and Nordstrom are co-anchors of Mall of Georgia.

In the Chicago area where Sears is headquartered, Sears is an anchor of the upscale Oak Brook Center along with Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor and Macy's.

In Orange County, Sears is a long term anchor of the upscale South Coast Plaza, which is arguably the most upscale indoor mall in Southern California (Rodeo Drive is more upscale, but is not a mall.) Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus are there, too.

While Nordstrom would probably prefer that Sears not be an anchor at any of the malls where they (Nordstrom) are anchors, it has not prevented them from opening in shopping centers which have the high income demographics they need, even though Sears is there, too.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalExPat View Post

I haven't heard a retractable roof, but the CID has had in their plans in the past to leave the anchor stores, tear down the mall in between, create parking decks, and try to develop all of the parking lots and out-parcels to become a mini-city/town of mixed use development with a public square where the mall is between the anchor stores.

There have been a few variations of this in the past. This is what the are currently looking at (Option A: Keep the mall; Option B: demolish the mall and rebuild differently)

http://www.gwinnettplacecid.com/imag...ptplanmall.pdf

Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
But I really do like Sears for appliances, certain home furnishings, and I'm probably going to buy a mattress from them later this year. And J.C. Penney is also one of my big secrets for fairly decent but inexpensive home furnishings like curtains, patio furniture, etc. I was sad to see the J.C. Penney home store go a couple of years ago, and would be equally sad to see the retail store at GP go. I know these retailers are dinosaurs and they kind of deserve their fate, but they do still excel at certain things.
I'm with you on Sears appliances. Sears will stand behind Kenmore no matter who made it.

I'm also a big fan of the J.C. Penney outlet in Forest Park. Man, do they have some deals!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm with you on Sears appliances. Sears will stand behind Kenmore no matter who made it.

I'm also a big fan of the J.C. Penney outlet in Forest Park. Man, do they have some deals!
I'll have to check that out sometime. I've had some good luck at the Sears outlet in Tucker on Mountain Industrial, but it is only worth it for larger appliances.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
It may be true that Nordstom has in their contract with Simon that Sears can't be in the same mall. However, as a matter of history, when Nordstrom opened at Perimeter Mall in 1998, JC Penney was still in business there until they closed in 2002 to make room for Dillard's. Presently, JC Penney and Nordstrom are co-anchors of Mall of Georgia.

In the Chicago area where Sears is headquartered, Sears is an anchor of the upscale Oak Brook Center along with Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor and Macy's.

In Orange County, Sears is a long term anchor of the upscale South Coast Plaza, which is arguably the most upscale indoor mall in Southern California (Rodeo Drive is more upscale, but is not a mall.) Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus are there, too.

While Nordstrom would probably prefer that Sears not be an anchor at any of the malls where they (Nordstrom) are anchors, it has not prevented them from opening in shopping centers which have the high income demographics they need, even though Sears is there, too.
Nordstrom and Sears are both tenants at the Stonebriar Centre just down the street from where I work in Frisco, TX. Stonebriar is akin to Northpointe or Mall of GA in terms of demographics and store mix, probably the most successful mall in all of DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta