Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 PM

15 posts, read 192,008 times

Advertisements

My husband is going to be working in Stone Mountain. Which is closer, Buckhead or Alpharetta? What would you guess the commute time to be to and from both places? Which area has better public schools? Thanks in advance!!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 PM

14 posts, read 57,557 times
Buckhead is much closer with a 30+ min commute, Alpharetta could be 60+ min. You might also consider towns close to Stone Mountain. I like Snellville and Loganville and are very convienent. You may want to rent until you get a feel for the commute.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:34 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
What is your price range on homes?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,266 times
What type of home you need (meaning how big, SFH or Townhouse, etc) would also help us help you. In some areas you can spend more for a 2 bedroom townhouse than you would on a 4 bedroom SFH in other areas.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,291,367 times
How about Smoke Rise?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 AM

15 posts, read 192,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
What type of home you need (meaning how big, SFH or Townhouse, etc) would also help us help you. In some areas you can spend more for a 2 bedroom townhouse than you would on a 4 bedroom SFH in other areas.
We would be renting initially. Seems that Buckhead is closer to Stone Mountain than Alpharetta...is this correct? What are the public schools like in Buckhead? Do any of the families in Buckhead do public school? Seems to me from all of the posts that most families do private. We want to do public. We need a 2 bedroom apartment or condo, price range around 1000-1300 per month. Thanks!!

Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 AM

8 posts, read 43,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainPonteVedra View Post
We would be renting initially. Seems that Buckhead is closer to Stone Mountain than Alpharetta...is this correct? What are the public schools like in Buckhead? Do any of the families in Buckhead do public school? Seems to me from all of the posts that most families do private. We want to do public. We need a 2 bedroom apartment or condo, price range around 1000-1300 per month. Thanks!!
You will kill yourself if you live anywhere near Alpharetta and try to commute--even Buckhead will be a bit long but depends on what you are used to. I would definitely look into Smoke Rise, a nice community near Stone Mtn. or Decatur. Don't know about Smoke Rise schools but bet they are OK--City of Decatur Schools are supposed to be excellent and there is more to do nearby. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 PM

8 posts, read 13,396 times
Default Smokerise Silver Ridge Community

Not sure of your price range but Smokerise is a definite to see community. Very convenient to Perimeter, Downtown, Buckhead and just a really safe and pretty community with some retirees.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids2dogs View Post
You will kill yourself if you live anywhere near Alpharetta and try to commute--even Buckhead will be a bit long but depends on what you are used to. I would definitely look into Smoke Rise, a nice community near Stone Mtn. or Decatur. Don't know about Smoke Rise schools but bet they are OK--City of Decatur Schools are supposed to be excellent and there is more to do nearby. Good luck!
Pretty risky bet IMO. DeKalb schools overall are struggling and are currently ranked 130th out of 156 GA school systems.

Smoke Rise Elementary School, Stone Mountain Georgia / GA School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

Here are the schools that currently serve the Smoke Rise area:

School Name Address Distance Test Score Homes Near this School
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed SMOKE RISE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 1991 SILVER HILL ROAD 0.61 85.94
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedTUCKER MIDDLE SCHOOL 2160 IDLEWOOD ROAD 2.72 69.48
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed STONE MOUNTAIN MIDDLE SCHOOL 5265 MIMOSA DRIVE 2.86
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedTRICKUM MIDDLE SCHOOL 948 COLE DRIVE 3.03 88.76
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedTUCKER HIGH SCHOOL 5036 LAVISTA ROAD 2.9 88
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedPARKVIEW HIGH SCHOOL 998 COLE DRIVE 3.05 95.25
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedSTONE MOUNTAIN HIGH SCHOOL 4555 CENTRAL DRIVE 3.22 88

Most are not exactly what I would call shining stars. My clear choice given these choices would be the Parkview cluster (Gwinnett County School System).
I don't think a commute to Stone Mountain from Buckhead would be too bad as it is a 'reverse commute' (commuting in the other direction is a nightmare). There is no direct highway access for a lot of the commute, however; North Druid Hills Road is your main thoroughfare between the two communities.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Maybe I'm spoiled but I'd consider either one of those commutes brutal.

Why not just move closer Stone Mountain? Smokerise is extremely nice, and another great area over that way is Northake. They are both outstanding neighborhoods that would get you to work in 10 or 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta