Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 17,049 times

Advertisements

Hello from Boston! I'm a young guy in his early 30's living in Boston all my life, and I am ready for a big change. My skill set includes web design, computer hardware, mapping, real estate, economics etc.

Atlanta is at the top of my list of cities to move to.

I am currently unemployed but have about $12k saved up

I got a few interviews but I feel like I would have a better chance at a landing a job if I was living in Atlanta.

Good or Bad idea guys?

1. Budget: $550 max
2. House/Condo/Townhome?: Apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): unemployed
4. Children(public school vs. private): None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: would prefer urban or mix but just need a clean (fairly new place) in a safe area
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: Ideally wouldn't want a car but I have one and parking is free so...
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,064,922 times
Are u collecting unemployment?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Are u collecting unemployment?

No I am not.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:53 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,128,953 times
You have free parking in Boston... wow...

Alot of the Computer Related job are going to be inthe North Fulton, and out sidethe I285 interstate. A car is required to get there Public transit is around (inside the I285), but if you need to get into the biz parks, your will find your choice of job very limited, without a car. Midtown has been gettting alot of server spaces growing there .

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
You have free parking in Boston... wow...

Alot of the Computer Related job are going to be inthe North Fulton, and out sidethe I285 interstate. A car is required to get there Public transit is around (inside the I285), but if you need to get into the biz parks, your will find your choice of job very limited, without a car. Midtown has been gettting alot of server spaces growing there .

Good luck.
I wish, I meant that most parking is free in Atlanta.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM

10 posts, read 18,504 times
I think you should look at the rental properties from Remax. I'm thinking about moving as well and I looked about 2 days ago. They have TONS of listings of duplexes and houses for under $600 a month. When you speak with a relator, tell them your concerns and should be able to help you.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,166,595 times
I think it's a terrible idea.

What if you land a job somewhere else? Then you have to move AGAIN. If I were you, I'd concentrate on getting a job first. Then move wherever you get a job. If you get a job in Atlanta, great, come on down. But what if you get a job somewhere else?

Being unemployed is no time to focus on a single city. I'd be looking in a bunch of places that you think you wouldn't mind living in.

I don't see how you would be any more marketable if you were already living here. If you think that, then come down for a week or two and do all your interviews during that time. Usually you are only more marketable if you are already in a city for low level jobs that want you to start the next day. For the types of jobs you are looking at, I don't see why they would care if you needed a couple of weeks to get down here, especially if you tell them upfront that you are moving here anyway and don't expect a moving budget.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 18,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think it's a terrible idea.

What if you land a job somewhere else? Then you have to move AGAIN. If I were you, I'd concentrate on getting a job first. Then move wherever you get a job. If you get a job in Atlanta, great, come on down. But what if you get a job somewhere else?

Being unemployed is no time to focus on a single city. I'd be looking in a bunch of places that you think you wouldn't mind living in.
Way to rain on this guy's parade.

TechforTat follow your heart but know you going to have to hustle and bustle for that money WHERE EVER you decide to go. There is money everywhere to be made, you just have to be willing to go & get it. As far as your car goes, I'd try to get as close to a MARTA as I could or some other form of public transportation. ALL MONEY IS BETTER THAN NO MONEY!! I'd flip burgers or waitress just to get by. But then again, not every one has the "By Any Means Necessary" attitude.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:17 PM

165 posts, read 485,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechforTat View Post
Hello from Boston! I'm a young guy in his early 30's living in Boston all my life, and I am ready for a big change. My skill set includes web design, computer hardware, mapping, real estate, economics etc.

Atlanta is at the top of my list of cities to move to.

I am currently unemployed but have about $12k saved up

I got a few interviews but I feel like I would have a better chance at a landing a job if I was living in Atlanta.

Good or Bad idea guys?

1. Budget: $550 max
2. House/Condo/Townhome?: Apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): unemployed
4. Children(public school vs. private): None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: would prefer urban or mix but just need a clean (fairly new place) in a safe area
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: Ideally wouldn't want a car but I have one and parking is free so...
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. none
$550/mo may be hard to get in a good area, and pretty much impossible in the intown area if you want to be in a safe place. I would possibly look at the Perimeter area, there are probably a ton of apartments up there, it's relatively nice, has easy access to public transit, and safe. Also, there may be some apartments in downtown Decatur, which is like 5-7 miles east of Atlanta, but still very much intown/urban feeling. There is also public transit there, but most of your jobs probably won't be in that area.

Now, if I were you, I wouldn't move anywhere before landing a job. What if you find an apartment settle in and you don't get a job for 6 months? Or you land a job in another city? That could be a financial burdon that could have been avoided.

I would plan my interviews all within a week so you can save money and interview all week while staying at a hotel and checking out the area. A lot of times (at least in my career field....software engineering), companies often paid for plane and hotel costs associated with interviewing, maybe you can negotiate for one company to only pay for an arriving flight and one hotel night, and you extend your stay and pay for the return flight and the rest of the hotel stay.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:38 PM

738 posts, read 1,384,744 times
ATLJTL, as my husband found out when we considered moving back to Boston last year -- many times employers won't even consider talking to you if you are not local. Even if you tell them up front that you don't expect to be relocated on their dime, they just don't want to deal with the hassle when there are plenty of local people to choose from.

TechforTat, I moved here from Boston in 1994, but the job market in Atlanta was a whole lot better then. Be forewarned that unemployment here still has not bounced back, and while I'm seeing an incremental trickle upwards, there's still not a whole lot out there, even for well-educated professionals with great resumes.

I realize it's pretty much the same situation in Boston, and as long as you have some savings, if you're already unemployed, you might as well live where you want to work. It might be useful to determine how long you can live on the $12k you have saved up. Will it go farther in Atlanta than in Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: