Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM

249 posts, read 649,991 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the traffic is like on PIB and Buford Highway during rush hour?
The hubby will start working in Dec. and needs to go from Alpharetta to Chamblee, map quest saying it's about 12 miles, but we have learned that means NOTHING with GA traffic.
I noticed 3 different ways to get there
1. pib
2. Buford Highway
3. 285
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 AM

329 posts, read 638,025 times
not sure exactly where in alpharetta you live, but based on what the gps has told you, i assume you live close in the boundary between alpharetta and duluth / johns creek.

285? via 400? probably the slowest of all routes.

Buford Highway could be the quickest, but you would be cutting across through (i assume) pleasant hill rd or abbots bridge rd (hwy 120).

PIB is quite bearable during rush hour. i am thinking you can also take peachtree pkwy (hwy 141) but get to Buford Hwy as soon as you are south of Jimmy Carter Blvd.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
not sure exactly where in alpharetta you live, but based on what the gps has told you, i assume you live close in the boundary between alpharetta and duluth / johns creek.

285? via 400? probably the slowest of all routes.

Buford Highway could be the quickest, but you would be cutting across through (i assume) pleasant hill rd or abbots bridge rd (hwy 120).

PIB is quite bearable during rush hour. i am thinking you can also take peachtree pkwy (hwy 141) but get to Buford Hwy as soon as you are south of Jimmy Carter Blvd.
we are off Holcomb Bridge at closer to Roswell actually. I guess he can try the Buford Highway , PIB and Peachtree Parkway between now and when he starts.
thanks for the 411.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 AM

329 posts, read 638,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
we are off Holcomb Bridge at closer to Roswell actually. I guess he can try the Buford Highway , PIB and Peachtree Parkway between now and when he starts.
thanks for the 411.
in that case... maybe 400 south isnt so bad since as soon as you hit 285 east, its smooth sailing all the way to Chamblee.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:23 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
It can often depend on the day, but here's what I have found:

1) Medlock Bridge - Smooth flow of traffic, not many speed lights, and consistent speed limit. Probably most often the best choice.

2) PIB - Fairly consistent speed limit, but more businesses on side of road and more cars trying to get on and off. More traffic lights. Can get really backed up.

3) Buford Highway - The least congested of all, but the most traffic lights and the most speed zones. Also the ugliest/most depressing route (if that matters to you, it does to me). Probably the most reliable, though, in terms of not getting into gridlock.

I'd try them all out to see which you like. Perhaps the most important thing you can do is learn the side streets and know what goes through so if you are on PIB and it is jammed up, you know the best way to get off and shoot over to Medlock Bridge or Buford Highway.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It can often depend on the day, but here's what I have found:

1) Medlock Bridge - Smooth flow of traffic, not many speed lights, and consistent speed limit. Probably most often the best choice.

2) PIB - Fairly consistent speed limit, but more businesses on side of road and more cars trying to get on and off. More traffic lights. Can get really backed up.

3) Buford Highway - The least congested of all, but the most traffic lights and the most speed zones. Also the ugliest/most depressing route (if that matters to you, it does to me). Probably the most reliable, though, in terms of not getting into gridlock.

I'd try them all out to see which you like. Perhaps the most important thing you can do is learn the side streets and know what goes through so if you are on PIB and it is jammed up, you know the best way to get off and shoot over to Medlock Bridge or Buford Highway.
awesome thanks for the info. and great idea about learning the side streets.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
Can anyone tell me what the traffic is like on PIB and Buford Highway during rush hour?
The hubby will start working in Dec. and needs to go from Alpharetta to Chamblee, map quest saying it's about 12 miles, but we have learned that means NOTHING with GA traffic.
I noticed 3 different ways to get there
1. pib
2. Buford Highway
3. 285
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
There are more than 3 ways. The best thing to do is forget is mapquest and get a foldout map at Quicktrip and study all the possible routes. When I lived in Roswell I tended to use New Peachtree Rd if I wanted to go to Chamblee at any crowded traffic times.

Look at Holcomb Bridge to Spalding to Winters Chapel to Oakcliff to New Peachtree Rd. An alternate to Oakcliff would be Winters Chapel Ext. to Flowers to Longmire to New Peachtree. This way is probably better going back to N. Fulton. New Peachtree cuts over the 285 so you do not have the massive traffic like Buford Highway or PIB. New Peachtree also splits into Shallowford if you are going that way. Also look at the map and see how Peachtree Rd. runs between New Peachtree and Peachtree Industrial and see if that is convenient for your location. Peachtree Rd in Chamblee also splits into N. Peachtree and Peachtree. Peachtree Rd. will take you right up to the freeway part of PIB on the trip back home. The traffic is also bad on these alternate routes, hopefully a little less bad.

If you live in the part of Alpharetta where you can avoid Holcomb Bridge Rd. and just take 141(Medlock Bridge/Peachtree Parkway) it will be easier. You must cross the river to get out of N. Fulton,either on Holcomb Bridge or Medlock Bridge.

Last edited by capoeira; 11-17-2011 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Pardon my advice, I neglected to see that you are near Holcomb Bridge...most of what I was talking about is for the area north of that.

Where you are, PIB is a limited access highway, so no lights and no speed zones.

I don't have too much experience coming from that area, but in my limited experience, the more you can minimize your exposure to Holcomb Bridge, the happier you are going to be. Learn the smaller streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta