Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:32 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,445 times

Advertisements

Mid-30's sounds like a pretty high pay rate for call center staff. (I used to staff them here in FL).

In this economy, and with the low cost of living in metro ATL, I would say this is great news.

Heck, I bet some call center managers are barely making that in Orlando right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Mid-30's sounds like a pretty high pay rate for call center staff. (I used to staff them here in FL).

In this economy, and with the low cost of living in metro ATL, I would say this is great news.

Heck, I bet some call center managers are barely making that in Orlando right now!
Keep in mind that according to most of the people on this forum you need 50K to live comfortable here.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,428 times
Thats great news especially as Atlanta has lost quite a few call centers the last few years.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 AM

You certainly don't need $50k to live in metro ATL. I see houses in decent areas near where we used to live for $85,000. (Flowery Branch) Electricity is half of what the per kilowatt hour charge is in my area of FL. Auto insurance is half of what we are paying in FL.

$50k is a good salary for a family in this economy. We made it in GA for much less than that for years. I would move back there in a second if I could get a job. Maybe I have a future in call center recruiting! (as long as they don't want me to deliver a full class with a pay rate of $8.00 an hour for the workers! That assignment in FL failed pretty badly. You get what you pay for!)

Old 11-05-2011, 10:26 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,428 times
Quote:
You certainly don't need $50k to live in metro ATL. I see houses in decent areas near where we used to live for $85,000. (Flowery Branch) Electricity is half of what the per kilowatt hour charge is in my area of FL. Auto insurance is half of what we are paying in FL.

$50k is a good salary for a family in this economy. We made it in GA for much less than that for years. I would move back there in a second if I could get a job. Maybe I have a future in call center recruiting! (as long as they don't want me to deliver a full class with a pay rate of $8.00 an hour for the workers! That assignment in FL failed pretty badly. You get what you pay for!)
50k for a family? It sounds great but its struggling. This call center is in Kennesaw so if you don't like there, you are driving 20-40 miles a day to get there at $3.50 a gallon. Food prices have skyrocketed with everything else. Most can't get a home anyway and rents are climbing.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:13 PM

I actually saw a nice home in Kennesaw for $125k on-line. Yes, I realize that it's probaby not so nice in person, or in a bad school district, but you get so much more for your housing dollar in GA.

We've been living on less than $42k for a family of 4 for 5 years now. Yes, we are going downhill now that we are back in FL (and only making $38k)! A lot depends on housing costs and medical costs.

In any case, I firmly believe that ATL and the 'burbs offer a much better deal overall than FL does now. (and unemployment is high in both areas now, unfortunately).

Old 11-05-2011, 02:59 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
In my opinion working in a call center is at least as hard as being a CEO. Most of those guys are used to having everything handed to them on a platter and I'd be surprised if they lasted 3 days in a call center.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:04 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,970 times
I think it is good news for the Cobb area. Home Depot offers great benefits.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 AM

103 posts, read 327,538 times
Well I am looking to apply...I work for BOA in Kennesaw at a call center and I am ready to go, but wont leave until I have a job with the benefits that I get from BOA...HD is comparable so I am investigating how to get my foot in the door...I know a few folks that work for HD...Not what you know, but WHO you know at time! Good luck to all that apply!!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,111 times
Quote:

I dont know why folks like to act like if you're not making 50K a year in Atlanta you're damn near in the welfare line. That's one of the main reasons people move here because it's cheap as hell to live. You may not be able to live in Buckhead or Roswell but hell the majority of people in the city DONT live in areas like those anyways. I think its just because many of us were forced to learn growing up how to make money work as compared to being entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta