Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,701 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from NYC to Atlanta and looking at the Paulding West Cobb areas for housing (I have friends there). I am wondering what the Job/Business opportunities are for someone in IT. I am willing to take a job downtown but would like to avoid the commute. I also work as a consultant and would like to work from home as much as possible. Any feedback on schools, employment and demographics would be appreciated. The specific areas I am looking into are Dallas, Kennesaw and Acworth (bentwater). I have two children (7 and 2 yrs old) and my wife is a nurse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM

77 posts, read 332,474 times
Cobb is a better county overall. Better run, better emergency services, etc. With that, however, comes higher property values and higher taxes. Not to mention, the county commissioners of Paulding refused to acknowledge that Paulding County has a meth problem :P.

A lot of my friends live in Paulding because they can't afford to live in Cobb.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:23 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
I would choose Cobb County, especially for access to freeways for you just in case you want to go Midtown or Perimeter or something. Plus, as mentioned above, the "amenities" are so much better. Kennesaw and Acworth are still pretty affordable.

However, IF you're job is downtown or anywhere down I-75 (e.g., Cumberland), the commute will be a nightmare. Count on 1+ hours for the commute each way during peak times for Acworth and Kennesaw.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Cobb is much more business-developed and your odds of finding a white collar job in the Marietta/Kennesaw areas are going to be a lot greater than in Paulding, which is mostly blue collar, strip malls, and less developed.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:16 AM

167 posts, read 769,251 times
The answer is simple. Go with Cobb County. It's true, most people move to Paulding because they can't afford to live in Cobb. There are absolutely no jobs in Paulding County for your profession. If there are, the people there wouldn't know your worth.

There really aren't as many IT jobs in Cobb compared to Atlanta, North Fulton and Gwinnett, but if you want to choose between Cobb and Paulding only...I would definitely go with Cobb. I'm not sure I would live as far our as Acworth and Kennesaw though. I heard the commute time is awful to downtown, but if you find a job in Cobb, the drive won't be so bad. I would also check to see what's available in the resale market in East Cobb and in areas closer to the perimeter to open your options for finding a job.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 PM

129 posts, read 659,312 times
we just moved to the west cobb area (unincorparted Kennesaw) and we absolutly love it!! the area is soo pretty with the rolling roads and trees, mountain etc...
Cobb definitly has better schools than Paulding hands down!
especially the high schools! we looked in Dallas, but the schools in cobb is what sold us on our house for sure! Bentwater is suppose to be very nice!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,198 times
What's your background in IT? Software, Hardware, Networks, etc.

I'm a software developer and work downtown and live in Acworth. I work from home once a week and some half-days. I also have the ability to hop on the express bus that takes me right to my door at work.

This is not the norm for most people though. Most likely you'll have to drive, and in my experience most IT places only allow 1 day to work from home, if they allow it all.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM

75 posts, read 382,013 times
Watch the news at night and see how much Paulding is mentioned vs Cobb. If you work out of your home it really doesnt matter what county you live in. I would prefer Paulding over Cobb. Paulding is on its way up.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:29 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresthills View Post
Watch the news at night and see how much Paulding is mentioned vs Cobb.
If you're referring to crime, please. There is crime EVERYWHERE, and each city and town has the good and bad sides.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresthills View Post
Watch the news at night and see how much Paulding is mentioned vs Cobb. If you work out of your home it really doesnt matter what county you live in. I would prefer Paulding over Cobb. Paulding is on its way up.
Paulding County Population Estimate (2006): 121,530*
Cobb County Population Estimate (2006): 679,325*

That might be part of the story w.r.t. news time. :-)

* Source: Wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta