Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There are plenty of scenarios where having a front plate is necessary to ID the vehicle or makes the ID much simpler. Massachusetts switched from single plate to two plates back in the 1990s when I was living there, and I remember the press conference with police chiefs all in favor of two plates.

Ohio right now was thinking about going to one from two, and the police are against it. Here are some of the reasons cited by law enforcement in Ohio:

"School bus drivers use it to note cars that illegally pass buses loading and unloading students; surveillance cameras catch the front plate in convenience store robberies, gas drive-offs and other crimes; the reflective plate catches the eye of drivers to see cars that have gone off the road; and the front plate provides a second look for cops or witnesses trying to identify getaway cars, drunken drivers, hit-and-skip vehicles or others"

Another point to make is that when you look at countries throughout the world, with the exception of Quebec Province in Canada, I cannot think of another country where they don't have both front and back plates on cars, of some kind or another.
Do some people in Ohio elect to have two plates? My girlfriend's mother came down with a car she gave to my girlfriend and it had plates on the front and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
I saw the new license plate on a truck a few nights ago, and I honestly couldn't tell what state it was, which is a bad omen. It also looked kind of cheap without the stamping.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Do some people in Ohio elect to have two plates? My girlfriend's mother came down with a car she gave to my girlfriend and it had plates on the front and back.
They DO have two plates currently, and are now considering reducing it to one, which is being opposed by law enforcement.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Maybe now is a good time to go to the barcode plate.
No pretty pastels, murals, or themes-
Just plain white background with black barcode.
They all look the same- no hapless number and/or letter combinations, no vanity, etc.
Equal opportunity dullness for everyone.
As ugly as these new plates are, I'm in favor of that.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
As ugly as these new plates are, I'm in favor of that.
Well you need a way for humans to report a plate number but there is no reason that RFID and bar codes that can be scanned by law enforcement couldn't also be incorporated.

These new diorama license plates are getting ridiculous. It's for identification of the vehicle, not to win an art contest.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I saw the new license plate on a truck a few nights ago, and I honestly couldn't tell what state it was, which is a bad omen.
That's one of my problems with it as well. It seems like the numbers are really bold, while the state name and "Peach State" kind of fade into the background. If you're the type that puts a frame around your license plate, then I am sure that you would barely see the state name at all.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Well you need a way for humans to report a plate number but there is no reason that RFID and bar codes that can be scanned by law enforcement couldn't also be incorporated.

These new diorama license plates are getting ridiculous. It's for identification of the vehicle, not to win an art contest.
Well, my response was mostly tongue and cheek. Even barcodes are woefully out of date and RFID tech would probably be better from a law enforcement perspective.

From a everyday resident perspective you have a valid point and one that is complicated by the ugliness of the new plates. The ugliness in that regard is a huge distraction IMHO due to how "busy" the new plate is.

I totally agree that the goal of a license plate should be for identification and not to win an art contest. The folly of that is being seen on the new license plates across the state. Rather, we should just have a nice plain single color background with the State, county, and plate number in easy to read fonts.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Rather, we should just have a nice plain single color background with the State, county, and plate number in easy to read fonts.
That used to be one of the things that GA got correct. Years ago, everyone had the same plate. They were red/white, green/white, or black/white/peach and they were changed every 7 years. Everyone had the exact same plate at any given point in time

Today, with the different generations and the specialty plates, it's a mess.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:41 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,262 times
Quote:
They DO have two plates currently, and are now considering reducing it to one, which is being opposed by law enforcement.
Thanks for the clarification. I misread.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:51 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
I stand corrected: The standard alternative white plate looks awful in person. It's so cheap looking, like it's made out of paper.

When I need a plate, I'll probably get the busy orange peach field. It's much duller in person, not as tacky as expected.

Both plates are so shoddily made, I guarantee you that the paint/graphics will quickly fade off, forcing them to return to stamped letters and numbers.

It's sad, in this day and age, when a state with 10 million residents can't even spend enough money to stamp out sturdy license plates. Everything is being done in an effect to slash costs, even if it makes "the empire state of the south" the laughing stock of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta