Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

The I-75/85 Connector through Atlanta is clogged with traffic. There are a number of alternatives to deal with it. Some suggestions:

1. The proposed western connector starting at Cartersville and I-75 passing through Paulding County and connecting to I-75 somewhere from Griffin to further south.

2. An eastern connector off I-85 in Gwinnet County.

3. Separating 75 and 85 using a separate path west of Northside Drive and Ft. McPherson and the Langford Parkway.

4. The proposed east side extension of 675 to 400 using about 7 miles of tunnels under Inman Park and Druid Hills.

5. Express lanes either by widening or double decking the connector.

6. Combinations of 1-5 above.

7. Do nothing on the road but do mass transit rail improvements.

8. Close the connector and force through traffic onto 285 (presumably with mass transit rail improvements).

9. Do nothing at all. We can deal with a little congestion.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,313 times
Number 7 and 5 but not thru widining just take lanes already there.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:58 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
Number 7 and 5 but not thru widining just take lanes already there.
This

Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
I'm all for 4 and 7, maybe even 1 (though I'm thinking that may cause more sprawl?)

Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 PM

12 posts, read 23,677 times
Need to address the 75/85 interchange with I-20.. one lane to exit east and one for west with the HOV lane having no exit. This causes way too much of the backup through downtown. Oh and the edgewood on ramp crossing through all that merge over makes a mess.

Staying on topic I think there should be some alternative "limited access" routes around the ATL. With the late reaction to this 20 year old problem I am not sure there are many options to go around so this puts coming straight through existing corridor with double deck or tunnels. Going through the outer areas adds extra drive time and does not make sense except for the peak drive times.Not very cost effective.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 PM

I prefer #3 and #1.

A western connector doesn't really doesn't have to add many miles to I-75 since I-75 bends in Atlanta. So it does more than an eastern connector. The original proposal was going to be in more rural areas, but those counties didn't want it. The supporters were going to talk to Douglas, Fulton, Fayette and Spalding Counties. Those areas are already developed so it could not only handle through traffic, but it could handle suburb to suburb traffic and encourage fill in development instead of ex-urban development like the original proposal. They already are talking about relocating and widening highway 92 in the area. This could be an alternative.

As I said on the other discussion, I like the idea of undoing Atlanta's biggest mistake, combining 75 and 85. Have 85 continue north of Atlantic Station through undeveloped and underdeveloped predominately light industrial areas west of Northside Drive. The new road (would have to be toll) would use the western edge of Ft. McPherson and then head out Langford Expressway to 285 where it would meet the existing 85. This would provide an alternative to the current connector, could be used as HOT lanes to include high occupancy vehicles, ease pressure on the current I-85 improving access to the airport, and possibly even share ROW with a Cobb Co. MARTA extension for part of its length. Because of its many benefits, if I had to choose between this and the western connector, I would choose this. Not sure which would be more expensive as the other would be many more miles, but be in lower cost areas.

Double decking is expensive, although you avoid new ROW. Its also not particularly pleasing aesthetically. If you are going to add ROW, I would prefer the benefits of a new road to continuing the existing merged mess as in alternative 5.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The I-75/85 Connector through Atlanta is clogged with traffic. There are a number of alternatives to deal with it. Some suggestions:

1. The proposed western connector starting at Cartersville and I-75 passing through Paulding County and connecting to I-75 somewhere from Griffin to further south.

2. An eastern connector off I-85 in Gwinnet County.

3. Separating 75 and 85 using a separate path west of Northside Drive and Ft. McPherson and the Langford Parkway.

4. The proposed east side extension of 675 to 400 using about 7 miles of tunnels under Inman Park and Druid Hills.

5. Express lanes either by widening or double decking the connector.

5a (as suggested by StAubin) Express lanes using existing lanes in
the connector

6. Combinations of 1-5 above.

7. Do nothing on the road but do mass transit rail improvements.

8. Close the connector and force through traffic onto 285 (presumably with mass transit rail improvements).

9. Do nothing at all. We can deal with a little congestion.

Thoughts?
Revised including StAubin's suggestion

Old 08-07-2011, 08:23 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
1 and 7. Although I'd support rebuilding the Connector/20 interchange if there is something feasible that can be done. The atrocious lack of capacity is responsible for major delays for people who live south, west, and east of town. I hate to say it, but the interchange is oriented to giving a lot of people the option of getting to south downtown easily, but most people are just trying to get on the connector to go to north downtown, Midtown, or Buckhead.

But my general feeling is that extending MARTA (or some form of mass transit) into (1) Cumberland (2) Clayton County and (3) to 285 on the west side would be far more cost effective and better long-term. MARTA could easily double its capacity alongside the connector. Easily. The issue is that for commuters from the northwest, west, and south sides, it's just not very user-friendly, and they have to jump through great hoops to use it.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:47 AM

Today was a perfect example of the need for another road alternative to the connector. Due to road construction near the airport, traffic southbound was at a virtual dead stop for 2 miles across all lanes-at 1:30 in the morning! Northbound there was an accident at 17th that shut the freeway. Everyone was forced onto I-20. Wasn't too inconvenient for me (although I had to take an exit I'm a little nervous taking even during the daytime), but for a lot of people it was.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Today was a perfect example of the need for another road alternative to the connector. Due to road construction near the airport, traffic southbound was at a virtual dead stop for 2 miles across all lanes-at 1:30 in the morning! Northbound there was an accident at 17th that shut the freeway. Everyone was forced onto I-20. Wasn't too inconvenient for me (although I had to take an exit I'm a little nervous taking even during the daytime), but for a lot of people it was.
Not an accident ... it seems the bridge is falling apart:

17th Street Bridge railings fall to interstate *| ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta