Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 PM

957 posts, read 3,355,694 times

Advertisements

We moved to the Johns Creek area on June 28th, 2011 from Chicago and this is an area that you just appreciate more and more as the days go by.

The Lifetime Fitness in JC is such a great benefit as it only 5 min from where we live. We went there today as a family for the first time and it is so cool that we can drop off our 1 year old at the day care while my wife and I are able to enjoy a nice work out.

I appeciate how everything is so close by. With in the 5 mile radius from where i live there is an HMART, Whole Foods, Pubix, Krogers, Bank of America, Chase, 2 Super Targets, and 2 Home Depots, Johns Creek Technology Park, Emory Hospital and the list goes on and on. We love to get our groceries at HMART and Atlanta metro has 5 HMARTS and 2 Assi. The Asian population is growing so fast in this area. In 2007 JC's asian population was only 13%, today the percentage up to 23% within 4 short years.

I don't know if this bad thing but I notice the cars around here are definitely more upscale like LA than it is like Chicago. In Chicago burbs where I am from, I can drive my hyundai and feel fine. Here, it seems like you see more Benz, BMW, Jags than you see Toyotas and Hondas, especially in my subdivision.

Though we like the area very much, I think the tough part for me and my wife is starting all over again and finding new friends in the area. I know it will take time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 01:18 PM

35 posts, read 123,363 times
just spent some time looking in johns creek...and...the other side of 400 in milton. (relocating from the northeast) both very nice areas. too many homes are part of "golfy-gated" developments. i need to get acclimated to that.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 PM

415 posts, read 972,067 times
Yes, and you'll appreciate city governments that provide good services and avoid dysfunction for the most part.

Glad you're happy!

Old 07-16-2011, 03:11 PM

415 posts, read 972,067 times
Standard fare for the area. For every 10 cars, half will be Mercedes, BMW or Range Rover (3 others will be Lexus). I'm farther South than you (near CCOS) and I typically see a half dozen Lambos or Ferraris on Old Alabama or heading down Barnwell weekly.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 PM

In St Marlo Country Club, I would say every home on my street and adjacent street has alteast one newer model Benz. We're the only ones who don't have one so we try to keep our garage closed at all times lol

Another thing I've observed that is interesting is that every African American I've seen in St. Marlo drive around in serious nice cars: 7 series BMWs and black Porches. It is almost like they are trying to make a statement or something to all the white folks living in St. Marlo. lol.

I know Johns Creek doesn't have the beaches and perfect weather like Southern California does, but the demographics of the area what i observe reminds me a lot of Orange County, California.

Last edited by mrpanda; 07-16-2011 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Is anyone shocked as I am of how fast the Asian demographic is growing in Johns Creek? I've never seen this kind of growth even in California. Let me show you guys some numbers

2007 JC Population: 70,000 13% Asian population 9100
2011 JC Population: 76,000 23% Asian population 17,925

That is a growth rate of 97% in just 4 years! Wow! Asians are flooding into Johns Creek like white on rice.

If this trend continues....
2015 JC Population: 83,514 42% Asian Population 35,308. I personally think that maybe 35% maybe more realistic.

Last edited by mrpanda; 07-16-2011 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 07:01 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
It is amazing to me the cars that their kids drive. Worse case scenario they get their parents hand me downs which are not that old of a car. My niece and nephew at 18 years old were driving cars that were equally as nice as mine if not newer!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 PM

249 posts, read 649,957 times
We love John's Creek ... just don't think we will be able to afford it so we are looking somewhere near by so we can be close in proximity.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:07 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
In St Marlo Country Club, I would say every home on my street and adjacent street has alteast one newer model Benz. We're the only ones who don't have one so we try to keep our garage closed at all times lol

Another thing I've observed that is interesting is that every African American I've seen in St. Marlo drive around in serious nice cars: 7 series BMWs and black Porches. It is almost like they are trying to make a statement or something to all the white folks living in St. Marlo. lol.

I know Johns Creek doesn't have the beaches and perfect weather like Southern California does, but the demographics of the area what i observe reminds me a lot of Orange County, California.

Ok, I just have to comment on that... I deleted my post b/c I was thinking I took it to serious but If I'm still thinking about it, it's probablly bothering me... But...

Maybe those black people in St. Marlo are just making more $ than some of the residents, and yes some of the White ones. I don't think they're making a statement, I think they just like nice things. I don't know what is the value of your comment but when you speak about other nationalities and races in regards to their income you dont say there making a statement and then laugh it off to soften it.... That's just stupid!

Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Coolieandre,
I think you did take it too seriously as I was joking around to have some laughs. If you want to have serious conversation, income in itself does not define wealth whether you are black, white, yellow or purple etc. You have two people making the same income, one living in St. Marlo with a ferrari in a verge of foreclosure living pay check to pay check. You have another family living in the Gates of Johns Creek with a 15 year old Hyundai Sonatas but with savings of $2 million dollars. The guy living in St. Marlo is broke as a joke and the guy living in the Gates is what I consider high networth and financially free.

As for the African Americans driving nice Black Porches, Benz, and 7 series BMWs in Johns Creek. Take it as a compliment and don't think too much into it as I haven't seen anything like it in Chicago and just stating an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta