Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,150 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My job was originally taking me to Phoenix AZ, and all of a sudden it ook a spin and it might take me now to Dunwoody GA.

I have heard and read that Sandy Springs, Norcross, are nice places to live. However my wife insist that many of these places are not very good and that her recomendations are for Alpharetta.

I would really like some honest feedback since we have 3 kids. 18, 17 and 11. So the school level would play a big role.

We are not rich by any means so our budget is pretty much set.

This is my situation:

1. Budget: rent or mortgage max at $1,400
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) commute to dunwoody, max 45 minutes
4. Children(public school vs. private) public, middle or high - charter schools ok
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two suburban or mix, not urban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not really
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. would like a mix in demo, and some feedback on above mentioned places.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 03:14 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,062,940 times
Schools are very good in the northern suburbs, including Alpharetta. I'm not sure if you could do the size you would need (3-4 bedrooms?) for your price range, but the way housing prices are right now, it's worth a shot. A Dunwoody commute from Alpharetta is not bad. I've done it in less than 20 minutes off hours, so it should fit into your commute parameters.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:19 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,794,696 times
If you are working in Dunwoody then you can't go wrong with Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell or Alpharetta.

Alpharetta would be the newest are of the 4 (growth explosion over the last 20 years) so it will have more options as to new homes and the schools are newer. They are all part of the same school system, average test scores may be higher in Alpharetta but I believe that is more reflective of the higher % of Asians in that area not that the individual schools are that much better.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:08 PM

738 posts, read 1,382,240 times
You may have some trouble finding a 4-br house for $1400/month in Alpharetta or Roswell, but I don't think it's impossible. Either would be a pretty easy commute to Dunwoody. Also check out Milton, Johns Creek, Brookhaven, Duluth, Woodstock, and south Forsyth county.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:46 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,062,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
If you are working in Dunwoody then you can't go wrong with Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell or Alpharetta.

Alpharetta would be the newest are of the 4 (growth explosion over the last 20 years) so it will have more options as to new homes and the schools are newer. They are all part of the same school system, average test scores may be higher in Alpharetta but I believe that is more reflective of the higher % of Asians in that area not that the individual schools are that much better.
Not sure where you are getting the info about Asians in Alpharetta, which is somewhere in the vicinity of 72% white. John's Creek has a higher Asian population. The Alpharetta schools are just good in general.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,701,797 times
Are your two oldest still in high school?

What kind of students are they? Interests, extracurriculars, etc.

What are their post high school plans?

That will help me give you a bit more guidance.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,794,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Not sure where you are getting the info about Asians in Alpharetta, which is somewhere in the vicinity of 72% white. John's Creek has a higher Asian population. The Alpharetta schools are just good in general.
I was not trying to imply that Alpharetta did not have good schools on their own. But Roswell also has good schools. I was just giving one reason why their test scores may be higher. Alpharetta High is 15% Asian compared to Roswell High which is 5% (this info is from Fulton County Schools).

And yes, I am fully aware that Johns Creek has the largest Asian population (I have family that graduated from Northview which is over 35%). I was just pointing out to the OP to not immediately dismiss Roswell and other North Fulton schools as inferior to Alpharetta.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 AM

23,601 posts, read 44,365,231 times
Good suggestions all. I would add the Peachtree Corners area of Norcross. Spalding Drive connects to Dunwoody from there and offers a fairly easy commute.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 7,150 times
Thank you so much for all the good feedback!!!!

Now, answering a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Are your two oldest still in high school?

What kind of students are they? Interests, extracurriculars, etc.

What are their post high school plans?

That will help me give you a bit more guidance.
The two old ones are in high school, and their interest (besides dating) is generally in leisure activities but not very outdoorsy.
Funny thing is that even we are a hispanic family most of their friends are oriental (from vietnam most of them) and the rest african american.

They are both very interested in going to college to persue a career in music production which will probably taken right back to Orlando FL, were we are from.

Proximity to a mall (not right next to it) would help, not just for them but the whole family.

Someone asnwered that $1,400 won't take me far to get a home. we are planning on selling ours and buy there ... however with the housing market as it is this can be a huge challenge.

Thanks again, and keep the comments comming.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:20 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,701,797 times
I would check out homes in the Norcross High/Pickneyville Middle school district in Gwinnett County. Nice, diverse, large school.

Keep in mind that your children will have to meet the graduation requirements of the high school here including passing the GA High School Graduation Exam. This covers English/Language Arts, Science, Social Studies and Math. I am guessing that your oldest will be a senior? Does he have good grades? GA teaches math in an integrated manner, it may be different than your children are use to.

Prospective Students - Norcross

http://www.norcrosshigh.org/Data/Sites/1/pdfs/2010_choicebook_final_sec.pdf (broken link)

You will need to check with the school because specific requirements will be tied to the year he/she started high school.

In GA, students with a certain GPA are eligible for the HOPE scholarship for in state public colleges and universities. You may find, since you will no longer be a Florida resident, that this is a better deal than your students returning to FL as out of state students.

Familiarize yourself with the HOPE scholarship here:

GAcollege411 - Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program Overview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta