Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM

146 posts, read 266,774 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to the bus route, inbound and outbound for 20

Cobb County Government

This bus goes right past where I need to be (on the way to Emory Hospital) on 4000 Kings Springs Road (Self Realization Fellowship). I can't remember if there is a grocery store on Concord or S. Cobb Drive, though so if you could let me know that too. I've never ridden a bus before, so I need some help here.

Can you recommend any apartment right on the bus route 20?

Thank you. Oh and any Smyrna residents who would like to PM me please feel free.

Husband says if I can figure it out moneywise, I can go. So I figure, sell the car, have none of that expense, and afford an apartment, or room to rent in a home. I am taking a sabbatical/vacation or what have you.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 PM

426 posts, read 2,323,335 times
Check out the Glen Park apartments in Smyrna. They have two phases. The first phase is directly on South Cobb Dr. and the second right behind it on Mill Pond Road. The first phase is older and closer to the bus stop along South Cobb Dr. The second phase is newer and nicer. There is a Kroger at Concord Road @ South Cobb Drive.

http://http://www.nals.com/GlenPark/Index.aspx (broken link)

And I don't know where you're moving from but CHOOSING to give up your car is not wise here, unless maybe if you live in the heart of Atlanta. Life without a car will be very hard in Smyrna. Though they have busses, they are routinely late, run infreqently, and do not run very late at all. You will find yourself dependent on other people's cars and taxis(that adds up) or just bored to tears feeling like a prisoner in your own home. The area of Smyrna you're thinking of is "spread out". It's not meant for pedestrians at all.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 PM

That is true. And thank you for the apartment name. They look very nice for under 800. I like how wooded it is very much!

The buses are really bad huh? So it would be better if I kept the car? Maybe I'll need to look for a room to rent in home or apt to keep costs down.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 PM

426 posts, read 2,323,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ View Post
That is true. And thank you for the apartment name. They look very nice for under 800. I like how wooded it is very much!

The buses are really bad huh? So it would be better if I kept the car? Maybe I'll need to look for a room to rent in home or apt to keep costs down.
Yea it is that bad here without a car. 99% of the people who don't have one are just not able to afford one. No joke, thats pretty much the only ones. Whatever you have to do to keep the car in the equation, you'll thank yourself in the end making that decision. BUT, finding decent, safe apartments so close into town on a budget is difficult. The biggest downside to renting a room or a basement is of course the lack of privacy, which as an adult, is going to bother you more than you may try to convince yourself it won't.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,136 times
I live in that area and agree that life without a car would be very limiting. If you go the route of no car, you are better living in Glen Park where you can walk to King Springs - about 3/4 of a mile.

The bus route you are looking out will drop you at Concord and South Cobb but that alone is 1.5 miles to King Springs. There is a grocery store on that corner so that would be 3 miles roundtrip.

Smyrna from a standpoint of lots of side walks is very walkable and safe but from one destination to another it will be a mile or more.

When I am training for a half marathon, I have problem walked/ran every inch of sidewalk in Smyrna but for everyday getting around that would be diffiicult

Last edited by lorilove; 06-08-2011 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: marathon not mile

Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM

17 posts, read 44,167 times
Quote:
Here is a link to the bus route, inbound and outbound for 20

Cobb County Government

This bus goes right past where I need to be (on the way to Emory Hospital) on 4000 Kings Springs Road (Self Realization Fellowship). I can't remember if there is a grocery store on Concord or S. Cobb Drive, though so if you could let me know that too. I've never ridden a bus before, so I need some help here.

Can you recommend any apartment right on the bus route 20?

Thank you. Oh and any Smyrna residents who would like to PM me please feel free.

Husband says if I can figure it out moneywise, I can go. So I figure, sell the car, have none of that expense, and afford an apartment, or room to rent in a home. I am taking a sabbatical/vacation or what have you.

Thanks again!
Try riding that bus route to see what's along the way and how long it will take for you to get to your fellowship. You may also want to look into renting a condo, townshouse or house because there are some good deals out there these days.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Quote:

You should be aware that the suburban bus routes, CCT included, are somewhat "unstable". Meaning, as budgets fluctuate, so do some of their routes. You may move somewhere that's on a route that's convenient for you and a year or two later, poof, they eliminate that route, or redraw it, etc. There have been numerous changes to CCT routes in the last few years. Even MARTA has made major changes to some of theirs due to budgets lately as well.

My suggestion: Keep the car and use transit for work as long as it works out, but having the car as a backup and for day-to-day stuff like grocery store runs is a good idea. To save money, you can trade-down to a cheaper car/car payment and/or share an apartment with a roommate.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Thank you all. I will need to keep the car then and look to rent a room or apt. share.

Now how to find someone who doesn't smoke, drink, drug, drama, or have sexual conquests? This is to be for me a spiritual retreat first and foremost.

Would it be useful to post a request on craigslist you think?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Quote:

Now how to find someone who doesn't smoke, drink, drug, drama, or have sexual conquests? This is to be for me a spiritual retreat first and foremost.
A nunnery would be most likely the only place for that.

Quote:
Would it be useful to post a request on craigslist you think?
Craigslist can be a valuable resource, but it's definitely the "Wild West" of classifieds, too. If you have lots of common sense and can weed out the nutwagons well, then it might be best to answer ads from those who are seeking roommates as opposed to placing the ad yourself. Again, common sense is mandatory when using Craigs List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: