Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 AM

45 posts, read 76,981 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why City of Atlanta commissioned this study ... perhaps the result was to meant to put a "study" on the table so it can be referenced later as a legitimate and well thought out position. The more likely development path is for a 6th runway (and perhaps more in the future) at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (HJIA) for several reasons:

1) Focus on HJIA increases potential visitor traffic to City of Atlanta events and venues, Atlanta convention centers, sports stadiums, restaurants, hotels, and businesses adding to the bottom line of those entities and to Atlanta's tax base.

2) Delta Air Lines is HJIA's largest tenant and opposes a new Atlanta airport because of its own major investments at HJIA and Delta wishes to continue to centralize its operations at ATL.

3) AirTran / Southwest is HJIA's second largest tenant and opposes a new airport for same reasons as Delta.

4) MARTA already goes to HJIA, the new airport would likely not have connectivity to MARTA any time soon unless the Dobbins were chosen. Again, I don't think the City-of-Atlanta study was trying to benefit Cobb County and Cobb Galleria Convention Center over GWCC and other downtown venues.

5) City of Atlanta would not want to reduce in any way HJIA's reputation as the world's busiest airport with 90+ Million yearly passengers and about 1 Million operations (landings/takeoffs) annually. Beijing has been advancing rapidly on Atlanta's volume over the last several years.

6) Outer suburbs will resist the increased noise polution. Most Metro Atlanta citizens would rather contain the jet landings and takeoffs to HJIA (Dobbins may be the only exception as it already has some Jet traffic).

Reminder, City of Atlanta owns Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
It would be great to have another option other than HJIA especially for the northern suburbs. But until another city, county, or developer ponies up the funds ... City of Atlanta will likely continue to support its exisiting winning horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
I am surprised that the state hasn't decided to get in on the action and creat another airport.

But then again, when looking at the record so far on Georgia's transportation issues, the necessary vision required is pretty much MIA at the Governor's office & respective state houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearDensity View Post
Reminder, City of Atlanta owns Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
It would be great to have another option other than HJIA especially for the northern suburbs. But until another city, county, or developer ponies up the funds ... City of Atlanta will likely continue to support its exisiting winning horse.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearDensity View Post
5) City of Atlanta would not want to reduce in any way HJIA's reputation as the world's busiest airport with 90+ Million yearly passengers and about 1 Million operations (landings/takeoffs) annually. Beijing has been advancing rapidly on Atlanta's volume over the last several years.
This is another good point. Being the world's busiest airport is a major feather in Hartsfield's cap, one I'm sure they're not looking to give up. I bet a lot of coffee mugs and pencils would have to get changed around the office if they ever slipped to second place.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:18 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Default Put it North of the Northern Suburbs....common sense

A Lumpkin/Dawson/Hall/Forsyth facility would bode well and everyone who flies knows it. I can tell you first hand having owned an airport shuttle company, the mix coming out of the airport ON A REGULAR (read: valuable) basis is corporate. We would pick them up and the majority were headed to one area, North Fulton. Most would check in and take cabs to buckhead, perimeter or simply stay in the area and entertain themselves there. We were even hired on occassion to work as a driver for their few days in town.

And all arrived safely, and none were ever shot, killed, or robbed.....hmmmmmmmmm, if given a choice???? Juuuuuust spitballing here....I never hear about their "pent up demand" to go below 17th street...ever.....

No, the logical place to put this is up North and just like Hartsfield, it would generate even MORE income as new hotels, restaurants, service industries etc...etc...etc...would rise to serve. On a noise issue, best to nab say, 2,500 acres now for all approach compliance and noise abatment issues. Besides, have you ever met a County Commissioner who wouldn't lick their chops over this size of a development? Again, we aren't looking to rival the traffic of Hartsfield or Bejing. Just bleed off, load balance, the current loads today while providing some desperate relief for traffic on the busy corridors today (I-75, I-85 and GA 400 in that order).

A good, large constituency that flies HJ today would use it immediately as they tend to live there......oh yeah.....I guess we couldn't let THAT happen now could we....better to keep the patron hostage and continue to serve mediocre service levels than to have to actually compete.....and afterall, why would the city want to lose those votes????

It's an embarrasment and hard to believe it can occur in a city of 5,000,000. The city would rather you choke to death on the highways than to give up any part of that morsel.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM

957 posts, read 3,357,270 times
If Atlanta wants to be taken seriously as a world class city like Chicago, New York and LA, the state of Georiga needs to move forward on getting the Gwinnett County Airport up and running ASAP. Money will be flowing into Georgia. There is no debate here where the 2nd airport needs to be located which is northern suburbs of Atlanta where the new job hub will be located (North Fulton). Seriously... can we please move forward on this project? I am starting to lose my patience.

The Case to Privatize Gwinnett County Airport at Briscoe Field - Renderings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta