Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 PM

559 posts, read 835,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magny13 View Post
Catholic schools cost between 6K-7K at the kindergarten - 8th grade level so they are significantly cheaper than the private schools mentioned. I am not sure if any are considered more academic than the others though or if they are interchangeable. Would like to know that myself.
Next door neighbor and several friends of our kids go to Holy Spirit. Not sure about its academics vs. the non-catholic schools, but I do know tuition is around $15-17k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 PM

39 posts, read 102,922 times
Default Catholic Schools Throughout Metro Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
In Metro Atlanta, at least historically, it has been nearly impossible for non-Catholics to get into the strong Catholic schools because of limited space. The growth in the Catholic community has far outpaced the growth of Catholic schools. The schools are definitely not interchangeable and for the most part, have much larger class sizes than almost all private schools and public schools up until grade 4.
I know about the large class sizes. That's how they keep tuition down. Would love some insight about the personality of each school. For example, St. Joseph, St. Jude, OLA, St. Catherine of Siena, Christ the King, etc.

I also know it can be hard to get in even if you're Catholic if you're not a registered member of the parish. That's why I want to zero in on which would be best so I can register for that parish at least one year before applying. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 PM

39 posts, read 102,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Next door neighbor and several friends of our kids go to Holy Spirit. Not sure about its academics vs. the non-catholic schools, but I do know tuition is around $15-17k.
Holy Spirit is an exception because it's Catholic but not an archdiocese school. They charge more but do have the smaller class sizes. I want to learn more about them too. I've heard there was a big falling out with a large group of parents a few years back when they were called The Donnellan School.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magny13 View Post
Holy Spirit is an exception because it's Catholic but not an archdiocese school. They charge more but do have the smaller class sizes. I want to learn more about them too. I've heard there was a big falling out with a large group of parents a few years back when they were called The Donnellan School.
Interesting. Hadn't heard about any falling out w/ parents at Holy Spirit.

Our cul-de-sac is full of Holy Spirit kids, so I get a pretty good earfull of kids/parents experiences there. 95% of it is very good, but of course, this is coming from very Catholic families who are big proponents of Catholic education.

We did have one neighbor kid who kinda got booted at Holy Spirit for behavioral issues.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 16,284 times
Thanks for the info all... Any thoughts on educational consultants?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpusa View Post
Heard about a few families who hired the school consultants, but don't know the specifics, ie cost and what they do other than fill out all the applications.

In my head, I picture a "won't take no for an answer" type of empty nester beating down the door of Westminster admissions demanding a spot for little Austin Whoever III or IV.

We just went thru the process, but I had to draw the line at hiring a consultant to get my 5 yr old into a kindergarten.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,963,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpusa View Post
I think educational consultants are very helpful in certain situations:
1. If you are moving to a town where you aren't familiar with the private and public schools and would like some "objective" assistance quickly and efficiently.

2. If your child has unique educational needs - physical handicaps, learning differences, emotional difficulties... and you are seeking a school that will address these needs.

3. If you are seeking a non-traditional hybrid of options such as boarding school at some point, time abroad or a home-school, traditional school combination

I don't think that using an educational consultant gives you any advantage in the traditional private school application process and in fact, in some circumstances, too much coaching of a child can be a negative factor as the school admission's staff are for the most part, very aware of a child who has been overly coached.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM

30 posts, read 41,918 times
Henderson Mill is a good school. I moved my kids there from private school and have been pleased with the differentiation available in the classroom. If your child qualifies for Gifted they will receive a very good education. I have heard the school called "the best kept secret in DeKalb County". It is diverse but the neighborhood kids seem to be grouped together. I would suggest trying it for a year or two. You can always move or transfer to private school in a later grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta