Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 15,774 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Long story:
I have been lurking, decided it's time to post. My fiance (wife in <3 weeks) and I will be at Emory beginning mid June and with my personal grad school graduation, her full time job, grad school, and planning a wedding, we have kind of let our housing plans wait til the last minute. We initially had aspirations of renting a nice 2 BR condo in the Emory area (Druid Hills, Lenox, Decatur, VaHi), but this wasn't as affordable OR as nice as we had hoped. We spent our efforts this past weekend looking at a number of apt complexes in a 5 mile radius of Emoy (2924 Clairmont; Gables Rock Springs; Post Briarcliff; La Vista Walk; Archstone Cheshire Bridge; Highland Square) as well as a couple of condos in area as well (both decent, but very old).

We want to stay around $1100/mo in rent, no more than $1200-ish with everything (cable/internet/power/water/etc). We lowered our wants to fit this budget to accepting a decent sized (~800sq ft) 1BR apts, but we still hope to have a newer place (granite, hardwood, stainless steel). We've found a number of places that meet this -- Archstone, LaVista Walk, and 2924 Clairmont. But each has a big negative.

Archstone is at a crappy intersection that I know I don't have the patience for. It is also overlooking a busy road, so I imagine it gets loud.

La Vista Walk was awesome, until I went online and read the negative reviews from a significant number of people.

2924 Clairmont was by far the nicest (brand spankin' new) and the best value. Big downsides though are that it is very close to Clairmont and Buford Hwy (grossss) and there is a huge construction project right in front of it, that is more than a year from completion...so very loud for a long time.

--

Bottom Line:
Any suggestions for hidden gems, particularly in the VaHi or Decatur areas? Again, $1100/mo is about our target, 1BR/BA is fine in the >760sqft range. Newer (but not a firm must).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
ah yes--30329==you can rent a house in Briarcliff Heights and vicinity for that budget.

i can tell you this--across from the now closed Briarcliff Library--there are condos--safe--enclosed parking --Cliff Valley Way--you can turn R to Briarcliff w/o too much problem. this could be the Enclave--if so, a person with esoteric taste lived there---must be good. I walk by from time to time--professional commercial bldg--across the street and Unitarian church at the access rd to 85--you can go to Clairmont and get to Emory that way if Briarcliff is snarled. Road work is going on.

you can try Sheridan, Executive Park--some good choices there--i have no idea of names.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Try the Gables on Rock Spring Rd. Right where Rock Springs and N. Decatur come together at Briarcliff. Have a friend who lives there. Fairly new and nice.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM

194 posts, read 619,261 times
I think Calibre Woods (near Toco Hills) suits your budget needs (but not all your amenities):

Calibre Woods

You might also look into the condos at Tuxworth Circle. These properties are more likely to meet your amenities requirement.

tuxworth circle decatur - Google Maps

I hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the good replies.

Gables Rock Springs -- I personally hated it, especially for the price. My fiance liked it a bit more than I did.

I will have to check out the Tuxworth Circle

Thanks again

Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 PM

Is Downtown Decatur a safe area to live in? We have found a great affordable condo right in the heart of downtown. My concern is for my (beautiful) fiance. Can I feel comfortable with her going out grocery shopping?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,095,674 times
IMO, the City of Decatur is very safe.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Jacket View Post
Is Downtown Decatur a safe area to live in? We have found a great affordable condo right in the heart of downtown. My concern is for my (beautiful) fiance. Can I feel comfortable with her going out grocery shopping?
She'll be just fine. I was perfectly OK with my 18 yo daughter walking the streets of Decatur.

A friend of mine lived in the Briarhill Apartments on Sheridan Rd. He did a lot of looking around and found them to be a very good value for the area.

Briar Hill Apartments - Home

Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 PM

38 posts, read 86,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Jacket View Post

Yes, Downtown Decatur is safe. I live close in to the area and have no qualms about walking about alone (yes, I am a woman). Now, things can happen, so you don't walk along oblivious, but generally safe.

Of the apartments you mentioned, I was recently looking at Post Briarcliff (my lease is up - I'm moving within the city of Decatur instead). From a previous experience: Post apartments have excellent service. They will generally be clean complexes and the 48 hour guarantee means that problems will get fixed. They will, however, be pricey for the space you get.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,624 times
We are moving to the area in the summer as my girlfriend will attend Emory for her PhD. We are both in our late 20s and would love to be close to bars and restaurants but not sure if it's possible on a limited budget. Any suggestions on areas/apartment complexes near Emory would be appreciated!

Also, does anyone have experience with 3131 Apartments? Apartments in Georgia | Decatur Apartments | 3131 Apartments. They seem to be a more affordable (recently updated) option to be close to the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta