Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 51,585 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I are relocating from the Denver area to the Alpharetta area and are currently searching for a home in the North Fulton/South Forsyth area.

Golf is a big part of my life but I have not, nor will, have the opportunity to play any of the courses in the area before we make our decision.

I was hoping that some of the golfers who are keeping us with this forum would help me out with course ratings, course vs. the another, ones to avoid and so on.

Specifically, I am looking at the courses in Windermere (Cannongate), Crooked Creek (Alpharetta Athletic Club), Trophy Club, Polo, Laurel Springs, St. Marlo, Windward.

I much appreciate you sharing your experience with these courses with me.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 PM

528 posts, read 1,283,957 times
Default Hi there. You should just like us! We are moving down there from Buffalo

and just got back from four days looking at all the golf communities. I can only tell you what we learned and what we have decided and what courses we looked at. We want to live in a golf club community that has a private course with good schools and close to my husbands commute in Duluth so we didn't look at all of the ones you are asking about but many. Here is what we looked at:

St. Marlo is a public course. They have about 3000 people in their database so trying to get in on a Saturday or Sunday morning early would be tough. They do not have any type of extra deal on tee times or any kind of membership deals for residents over any other Joe. They are not a club where they would have member/guest type things, junior or women programs. Because of all of that, we ruled it out.

Windermere is a large community that has many different neighborhoods with different home sizes and prices. The neighborhood is very spread out and you wouldn't be able to just jump on a golf cart and drive over. It is private and has reciprocal with Olde Atlanta Club but they do not have a large clubhouse or lots of dining. It is more of a golf club. Different membership categories but for full golf etc was $6000 to join and $375/month with small food minimums. For us, it was too spread out and a bit far from his office. We ruled it out.

We drove around Windward today and it also has many different neighborhoods, some gated and some not. This is too far for us but it also cost $42,500 to join plus ridiculous dues of $740 per month and a $2500 annual food minimum. That is ridiculous and too expensive so we ruled it out.

We did not look at Trophy Club or Polo club so not sure where they are. They must have been too far for our drive.

My husband ruled out Crooked Creek- too far for work.

Laurel Springs- we LOVED it. It is a private golf club. Membership to join is $4500 right now and $3000 if you pay in full by end of May but I'm thinking they may extend that deal. They also may quote you different pricing but they told us if we get sponsored by a neighbor (and they have people to do that), we can get $330 monthly dues which includes unlimited golf. There are never any assessments or minimums. If you take your kids out under the age of 16 and there are four of you (you, wife, kids), they only charge you for one cart and it's around $12. The schools there are great. We toured Sharon elementary today and loved it. There are about 350 golfing members so it's not crazy to get a tee time. You can walk if you want but not Sat or Sun mornings. They have a clubhouse with a bar and some food service. They are open Wed, Thurs and Fri for dinner until 9 and most Fridays they have live music and things on the patio until late. They are open on Sat and Sun until 6 and Tuesdays until late afternoon I think. The neighborhood itself is gated and so very family friendly. We looked at houses in there this weekend and they had the firemen and policemen there having a safety day for the kids. They have pool/tennis in the neighborhood. They said about 65% of members live within Laurel Springs and 35% outside. Basically, from our four day trip this weekend, we have decided this is where we will be living once we sell our house.

We also looked at St. Ives, Bear's Best and Chateau Elan. We have ruled out anything in Gwinnett County and St. Ives for other reasons. If you want any more information, just private message me.

Good luck!

Justine

Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,005 times
If you're looking for a purely golf experience (no country club), Golf Club of Georgia is going to be your biggest bang for the buck. They are offering tremendous deals right now. 36 holes.

I've never played, but have heard it is a great facility.

I haven't played many of the courses up that way, but I have played St Marlo. Decent enough course, but the houses are right on the fairway on some holes.

Oh, check out Echelon (was The Ga Tech Club when they first started). Haven't played it in a couple years, but it was absolutely awesome (tough track). It was also opened as a private club, but recently opened to the public to keep it afloat. http://www.echelonliving.com ...the houses however, can be rather pricey for some (or most I should say).

Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Golf Club of Georgia is offering tremendous deals? When I called

and they emailed me information, the initiation fee is $42,500 with $730 monthly dues and $2500 annual food/beverage minimums. That is the Windward one I was talking about. If someone finds out that it is less, please let us know!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Email I got today from Golf Club of Georgia (again, if golf is the only amenity you need).

Quote:
Good morning:

Please forgive the mass email, but I wanted to distribute as quickly as possible this update to those of you who have expressed interest in membership at The Golf Club of Georgia.

Our most popular individual membership, which has been available for the past two years with only a $2,500 initiation deposit and no obligation to the initiation fee balance unless remaining a member past 2016, is expiring on May 31. Beginning June 1, the program will require a $5,000 initiation deposit and annual payments toward the initiation fee balance. If you would like to take advantage of the current offer of just $2,500 down for this final month, please give me a call at 770-772-8167 or on my cell at 404-281-4152. Or just drop me an email to hopefully set up a meeting here at the Club or answer any questions you might have.
I hope you will be able to take advantage of this great opportunity to join The Golf Club of Georgia.
Thanks for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best,
Basically you get a 5 year membership for $2,500 bucks. Then, after that you'd have to re-up to preset initiation fee. Not sure what that amount is, but I recall it is in the low teens I believe. But you can quit at the end of 5 years with no obligation, which is pretty sweet.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Default Thanks for the information. Now my husband is obsessed with

Horseshoe Bend and Windward. He will go look at them both when he is down there next week. I gotta check out the schools and give both clubs a call again to get current membership information. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Horseshoe Bend and Windward. He will go look at them both when he is down there next week. I gotta check out the schools and give both clubs a call again to get current membership information. Thanks!
Pretty sure HSB is doing no initiation fee. Could be wrong, or it could be for juniors only.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 51,585 times
Hey Everyone!

I appreciate your responses!!

I do have some data now on memberships.

White Columns: The are running a "special" right now; the initiation fee is $12500 and the monthly is, oddly, $551. It is $395 IF you can find a sponsor. The discounted rate is good for the next 5 years. There doesn't appear to be any additional fees for cart or range and no food and beverage minimums.

Alpharetta Athletic Club: They too are running a special and will waive the initiation fee if you commit to 24 months. The monthly is $386. There is a $20 cart fee per 18. Range is included in the monthly and there are no food and beverage minimums.

Windermere: Is part of the Cannongate system. If you make Windermere your home course then you can also play the Olde Atlanta Course as well. Right now, they are waiving the initiation fee. The monthly is $235. There is a mandatory range fee which is $180 per year, a $10 per month food and beverage fee and a $16 cart fee.

Polo: Right now, their initiation fee is $2500 and their monthly is $395. There is no additional fees for cart, range or food and beverage mins.

Golf Club of Georgia: Their fiscal year kicks off 6/1 and all of their packages are going to change at that time. Until then their initiation fee is $42,500 but you only have to pay $2500 down and then the rest is due on a 5 year note - details were a bit sketchy and I didn't press it. You can also just pay $25,000 down and be done with it. But as I said, these are changing. I believe, the $42,500 is changing to $36,000 but they want $6000 down and then $6000 every year for the next 5 years. I think the one time $25,000 is still also in play. Their monthly is $590 but that is individual. If you want to add a family member then there is no initiation for the family member but there is a $25 per month per member fee. Cart is $22 and there is a $2500 per year min that must be used across several categories, food and beverage being one.

I also got some data on Atlanta National, their initiation fee is $12,500 but I didn't get the monthly.

I am still waiting to hear from Laurel Springs.

Here is my big question: I am not going to be able to play any of these courses and so will be needing to make somewhat of a blind pick. What I am still looking for more feedback on is what courses are better? I am hoping there is someone out there who has play these courses and can say I like x over y and so on.

Thanks again everyone for your help!!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzman View Post
Here is my big question: I am not going to be able to play any of these courses and so will be needing to make somewhat of a blind pick. What I am still looking for more feedback on is what courses are better? I am hoping there is someone out there who has play these courses and can say I like x over y and so on.

Thanks again everyone for your help!!
Truthfully, I haven't played many of the courses. I have played Laurel Springs a few times. It is a decent enough course but nothing that has wowed me. Most of the courses I play are in town (ACC and CCC for private with friends who are members - - and most of my public golf is played at Crystal Lake south of town - - those playing public courses, I highly recommend Crystal Lake).

Of the ones you have listed I have heard that White Columns and Golf Club of GA (36 holes) are fantastic facilities. I haven't heard much about the others. Wish I could be of more help!

We need to keep an ongoing spreadsheet. Maybe that is an idea of a website!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 25,690 times
White Columns is a nice course.
Golf Club of GA is pure golf w/2 great courses! No pools or tennis. just golf
Atlanta National is a great golf course
Alpharetta Athletic Club(formerly Crooked Creek) is a nice course.
Polo is a dump
Laurel Springs is marginal
Don't know Windermere.

If I were to choose by best golf courses
#1 Golf Club of GA
#2 Atlanta National
#3 White Columns.

There are some great private courses too in nice neighborhoods.
- Atlanta Athletic Club (home of 2011 PGA)
- Ansley/Settindown -2 courses (one in Midtown ATL, the other in Roswell) the roswell course is great!
- Capital City Club - very private - 2 courses in/out of ATL
- Atlanta Country Club- Marietta - Great golf course

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta