Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,719,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Amen (coming from an atheist).

Brees is a good QB, but people forget that Tom Brady is right on his heels with roughly 4900 yards for the year now, one game to go, and has been throwing between 300-500 yards/game, outdoors and against good defenses. Those ESPN morons did everything but get naked and offer themselves to Brees. I also thought stopping the game to crown him king was classless. Give him an ovation...sure. Stop the game for 5 min and give him a coronation...classless.

When half your games are played in a dome and come against teams like TB, Carolina, and yes...the Falcons, it's no wonder he's passed for more than 5000 yards.

Maybe his Nyquil commercial will make him dizzy............It was a debacle when they stopped the game. When Dan Marino set the record, players played the game like men, we did not have replay and new penalty rules, this definitely helped Brees attain his record....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,216,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Maybe his Nyquil commercial will make him dizzy............It was a debacle when they stopped the game. When Dan Marino set the record, players played the game like men, we did not have replay and new penalty rules, this definitely helped Brees attain his record....
Yeah, these days if you breathe hard at the QB you draw a flag for 15 and a possible fine. You can't tackle a receiver without asking permission, and other silly changes done in the name of "protecting" the players.

As far as a new stadium goes....my opinion is still that the GA Dome is only 20 years old and more than an adequate venue. If Arthur Blank wants to finance a new venue, more power to him, but the taxpayers of GA should not be on the hook.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM

3,714 posts, read 6,003,711 times
Quote:
As far as a new stadium goes....my opinion is still that the GA Dome is only 20 years old and more than an adequate venue. If Arthur Blank wants to finance a new venue, more power to him, but the taxpayers of GA should not be on the hook.
+1

I still think that having a $25,000 cash drop from the top of the Westin everyday would be a bigger tourism and revenue generator than a new stadium. And it would only cost a fraction of the amount.

Of course, it's a ridiculous idea. But it speaks volumes that it's less ridiculous than building a new stadium with taxpayer money.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,546,377 times
Quote:
Amen (coming from an atheist).

Brees is a good QB, but people forget that Tom Brady is right on his heels with roughly 4900 yards for the year now, one game to go, and has been throwing between 300-500 yards/game, outdoors and against good defenses. Those ESPN morons did everything but get naked and offer themselves to Brees. I also thought stopping the game to crown him king was classless. Give him an ovation...sure. Stop the game for 5 min and give him a coronation...classless.

When half your games are played in a dome and come against teams like TB, Carolina, and yes...the Falcons, it's no wonder he's passed for more than 5000 yards.
I lol'd...

I spent some time this season in the owner's booths...I see no reason for a new stadium. This is still a fantastic field.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,033,158 times
They should make them play at the homeless shelter in midtown until they bring the city a ring

Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,546,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
They should make them play at the homeless shelter in midtown until they bring the city a ring
Amen..especially after the beating again last night.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,412,063 times
I honestly dont see the Falcons getting a ring in the next 10 years at least..if ever. Sean Payton going to the Saints has pretty much solidified that for the immediate future anyways.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,126,281 times
Quote:
Yeah, these days if you breathe hard at the QB you draw a flag for 15 and a possible fine. You can't tackle a receiver without asking permission, and other silly changes done in the name of "protecting" the players.

The NFL should just change the rules ... make it a form of glorified flag football and be done with it. They're already well on their way...

Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,060,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
After last nights performance they deserve nada...........Rough loss tonight but from the get-go it seemed the odds were going to be hugely against the Falcons. Not only did they have to deal with a hostile crowd and a team wanting to ensure A) a division title and B) a record for Drew Brees, but there were also some definite officiating discrepancies that favored the Saints. And the announcers might as well have all been wearing Brees jerseys in the booth; by the end of the first half I’d heard enough gushing praise for Drew Brees, the Saints, and the city of New Orleans to make me nauseous.

That said, the Falcons got out-played. They have no pass rush, and their ability to stop the Saints on 3rd and long situations was laughable. The secondary got torched time and again for big gains. And the offense went back to its patented inconsistency in the loud environment.

It’s not a good feeling right now as a Falcons fan, knowing this team is good enough to make the playoffs but still vulnerable in enough areas that they can’t seriously be considered Superbowl material. That’s a no man’s land, because they aren’t eligible for higher draft picks (after the Julio Jones trade that’s a moot point for this coming year anyway) to quickly help fill those holes. And the mentality of Atlanta in big games right now is to survive; against the predators who go out each and every game expecting and intending to run up the score on their opponents (like Brees, Rodgers, Brady) the Falcons just don’t stand much of a chance, I’m sorry to say. Either you have the killer instinct or you may as well not bother showing up. The Falcons are so frustrating to watch because time and again they come close enough to remind us just how far they still have to go..
Hostile crowd and definite officiating discrepancies.

Oh please, your team got the panties spanked off of them. How do you like your dirty bird gumbo served?

busta

Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM

32,037 posts, read 36,874,486 times
From the Loaf:

Quote:
Actually, maybe we should quit using the word "potential" when referring to a new stadium. Although there's never been an official announcement from the city, state, or team management, insiders tell us it's effectively considered a done deal within what passes for the corridors of power. Deal's $15 million land allocation, if approved, would seem to support that contention.

As one well-placed source says, regarding the likelihood of an open-air stadium: "That horse has left the barn." How the construction of that stadium would be funded is an entirely different story.

Deal earmarks $15 million for land that'd be just great for a new Atlanta Falcons stadium | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta