Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,640 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I live in Smyrna..off Atlanta along the path of destruction that Sherman brought about on his march to the sea during the civil war. Very interested in history generally and haunted history.

Any good ghost stories or places of interest people would like to share? I'm aware of the battlefields scattered around the metro area and the Marietta sqaure which I live close to.

I had a ghostly experience once off Cherokee street (by Kennestone hospital in Marietta)...as some may know that area is a historic district with homes that date back over a 100 years. While driving there one afternoon I noticed a young black girl walking along the sidewalk.

The strange thing was the girl was dressed in rags...a torn up gown or long dress that should have been white but it was dirty as hell. Her hair was short and unkempt. She had a distressed look on her face..it was shocking just to see her..she was young looking as well. I couldn't see her in the rareview.

My sister told me she saw her as well weeks earlier in the same spot...I suppose it was something residual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 PM

161 posts, read 405,856 times
Thanks Lou,

I love ghost stories too and hope others will share soon.

Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,135 times
Check out Roswell Ghost Tours (Roswell Ghost Tour). It takes place in Historic Roswell. I went on the tour last spring or summer, I can't remember exactly. It was very interesting learning about the history of that area. I grew up less than five miles from there, and had no idea. I think I remember hearing about ghost sightings near Kennesaw Mountain.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,204,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loublaze View Post
Hi there! I live in Smyrna..off Atlanta along the path of destruction that Sherman brought about on his march to the sea during the civil war.
Interesting thing to mention is that the stereotype of Sherman creating a "path of destruction" on his march to the sea is completely false. No such "path of destruction" ever existed in Georgia. Atlanta was partially burned, but not on Sherman's orders. It was actually started by accident, and Sherman was not happy about it.

He and his men foraged for food and shelter along the way, and they destroyed some manufacturing and railroad infrastructure that was deemed to be of military value, but other than that they left everything alone. They were relatively civil to the local populations while in GA. Savannah was not touched at all.

When they got to South Carolina, they did burn some homes and were more harsh on the civilian population there, since that state was viewed as the place where the hardcore rebellion had started.

Sherman's orders:

... IV. The army will forage liberally on the country during the march. To this end, each brigade commander will organize a good and sufficient foraging party, under the command of one or more discreet officers, who will gather, near the route traveled, corn or forage of any kind, meat of any kind, vegetables, corn-meal, or whatever is needed by the command, aiming at all times to keep in the wagons at least ten day's provisions for the command and three days' forage. Soldiers must not enter the dwellings of the inhabitants, or commit any trespass, but during a halt or a camp they may be permitted to gather turnips, apples, and other vegetables, and to drive in stock of their camp. To regular foraging parties must be instructed the gathering of provisions and forage at any distance from the road traveled.

V. To army corps commanders alone is entrusted the power to destroy mills, houses, cotton-gins, &c., and for them this general principle is laid down: In districts and neighborhoods where the army is unmolested no destruction of such property should be permitted; but should guerrillas or bushwhackers molest our march, or should the inhabitants burn bridges, obstruct roads, or otherwise manifest local hostility, then army commanders should order and enforce a devastation more or less relentless according to the measure of such hostility.

VI. As for horses, mules, wagons, &c., belonging to the inhabitants, the cavalry and artillery may appropriate freely and without limit, discriminating, however, between the rich, who are usually hostile, and the poor or industrious, usually neutral or friendly. Foraging parties may also take mules or horses to replace the jaded animals of their trains, or to serve as pack-mules for the regiments or brigades. In all foraging, of whatever kind, the parties engaged will refrain from abusive or threatening language, and may, where the officer in command thinks proper, give written certificates of the facts, but no receipts, and they will endeavor to leave with each family a reasonable portion for their maintenance.

VII. Negroes who are able-bodied and can be of service to the several columns may be taken along, but each army commander will bear in mind that the question of supplies is a very important one and that his first duty is to see to them who bear arms. ...

– William T. Sherman , Military Division of the Mississippi Special Field Order 120, November 9, 1864.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,640 times
^^^ Thanks for the information. I generally called it a 'path of destruction' because it's generally accepted as just that around here. I stand more informed.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 AM

23,487 posts, read 44,141,494 times
A friend of mine worked at Theatre on the Square in Marietta. He was fond of 'initiating' new employees by having them sit in the middle of the theatre and then shutting off the lights; the theatre was plunged into complete darkness. After a few minutes, he would have them describe what they saw; they would claim to see shelves with jars, a counter, a soda fountain, etc.
Unbeknownst to any of them, the theatre had been an apothecary one hundred years hence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta