Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 AM

957 posts, read 3,359,743 times

Advertisements

I've heard that NCR and Asbury Auto recently moved their headquarters to Duluth (Gwinnett)

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...8/daily81.html
NCR announces investment to create jobs, drive innovation and develop talent

What other major employers have moved their headquarters to Gwinnett and North Fulton County?

I am specially interested in large companies moving their headquarters to Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Suwanee, and Duluth.

Last edited by mrpanda; 02-17-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 AM

According to Money Magazine.

Suwanee has seen 81.41% job growth from 2000 - 2008
Alpharetta has seen 27.53% job growth from 2000 - 2008

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM

I am getting the impression that big companies are moving their headquarters into Gwinnett County like Suwanee and Duluth. I don't see many big businesses coming into Johns Creek and Alpharetta. Am I correct? Suwanee and Duluth both have the 85 artery and Alpharetta has 400. One major disadvantage I see for Johns Creek is that there is no major artery and easy access.

How many of you commute to either Johns Creek, Suwanee, Duluth, or Alpharetta for work from where you live?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,837,963 times
The high paying jobs are definitely moving in that direction.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:12 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,976,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
I've heard that NCR and Asbury Auto recently moved their headquarters to Duluth (Gwinnett)

Fortune 500 Asbury Automotive Group rolling HQ to Atlanta | Atlanta Business Chronicle

What other major employers have moved their headquarters to Gwinnett and North Fulton County?

I am specially interested in large companies moving their headquarters to Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Suwanee, and Duluth.

A lot of that can be contributed to the Gwinnett Chamber. We have one of the largest and most powerful chambers in the country. They have truly excelled in attracting business to Gwinnett. I think right now they are focusing almost everything into bringing more companies from Asia to Gwinnett and Georgia.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
A lot of that can be contributed to the Gwinnett Chamber. We have one of the largest and most powerful chambers in the country. They have truly excelled in attracting business to Gwinnett. I think right now they are focusing almost everything into bringing more companies from Asia to Gwinnett and Georgia.
Yeah, I totally agree. I called the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce to learn more about the economic development and there is such so much energy there? The people there were so nice and informative that I was even pumped up listening to the latest economic development. They were actually very happy i called.

North Fulton may have better schools, but in terms of commerce development, I would have to say that Gwinnett County (Suwanee and Duluth) wins hand over fist over North Fulton.

"We have one of the largest and most powerful chambers in the country."

If anyone can get the Gwinnett airport passed.. it is these guys. They also told me that the 2nd airport would be huge for the Fortune 500 gwinnett businesses to flourish and I told them, "I absolutely agree"

Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM

14 posts, read 31,283 times
Perhaps it is getting better in terms of jobs, but living here is getting worse and worse. There was a month last fall where we had something like 10k houses on the market and 3 sales. I've often said that they had to tear down the "Gwinnett is Great" and "Success Lives Here" water towers because they were being sued for false advertising.

The only area where I'd still want to live is Suwanee, and even it is on a downward trajectory. Duluth is getting worse and worse by the day. Been to Gwinnett Place lately?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Coffee, what area in Duluth are you saying is going down hill? South of 120 / north of 120 or the entire city in general? Why do you think that Duluth is getting worse and worse by the day?

Last edited by mrpanda; 02-17-2011 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,787,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post

Fortune 500 Asbury Automotive Group rolling HQ to Atlanta | Atlanta Business Chronicle

Two quick things... I have noticed in several postings you mention and compare county/city day on how fast things grow here. Keep in mind... because counties and cities are really small the data points tend to be more extreme. As a random, but extreme, example for comparison... There are parts of Harris County in Houston that are also rapidly growing, but the data will never show it since the county is so large and has alot of older areas and new areas. 10 Years ago there really wasn't a whole lot in Suwanee, so their growth -rate- is through the roof.

As far as corporate world goes. These newer, further out of town areas, don't have too many major corporate headquarters. They have two major types of companies that make them have lots of quality jobs. The first is headquarters of smaller to medium size companies (and I don't mean small by a mom and pop shop, but a small company with revenue of $10s to $100s of millions). A good example that comes to mind is Pike's nurseries has it's headquarters between Duluth and Lilburn. Individually it isn't a huge company, but there are many companies of it's size in the area with their headquarters.

The second type of company I want to spot out is regional and subsidiary headquarters of much larger conglomerates. An example that comes to mind is Siemens USA. Their U.S. headquarters is actually in D.C., but they have many divisions to their company that make a wide array of industrial equipment, transportation, and healthcare. They are heavily invested in the Alpharetta, Suwanee, and Duluth areas with offices in all locations.

Most of the major Fortune 500 companies (UPS, Rubermaid, etc) tend to want to locate near Perimeter Center (if not intown Atlanta), because of better access to intown Atlanta, Cobb, and Atlanta.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM

14 posts, read 31,283 times
I live South of 120. My area is being completely overrun by gangs, and they're steadily marching north along Buford Highway. I hear gunshots NIGHTLY. My 3 year old son asked me last summer if they were fireworks. I had to explain to him that fireworks don't go off in 12 round bursts.

If you don't believe me, sit tight for a few more years and they'll be in your neighborhood, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta