Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,044 times

Advertisements

Comcast sucks sucks sucks. I have had them for 3 years and my internet is out more than it is working. If you have a choice, don't get Comcast. Sure, their customer service representatives are nice and typically American when you call, but that doesn't make their internet service any better. If you want to pay $100 a month for internet that works half the time, be my guest. No really.... come be my guest... because every time I call customer service they end up wanting to send a technician out. Um... sorry... I work full time... I don't really have time to wait around half a day for a technician to show up. I could use a guest to sit here and wait on them for me. LOL. Anyway... after the technician leaves, the internet magically works for a couple of days or maybe a week... and then guess what? Same thing again. How can a company that knows nothing about how to give someone decent internet service have basically a monopoly over that service? It's a mystery to me. I'm just begging and waiting for ATT Uverse. Maybe it will make it to my neighborhood one day... and when that day comes? Adios Comcast. You're about as useful as the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,243,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcaito View Post
Comcast sucks sucks sucks. I have had them for 3 years and my internet is out more than it is working.
I will offer another experience. I have had Comcast in 2 states for almost 10 years. Their customer service can be bad at times, but the actual product itself is WAAAAAY better than any alternative available in Atlanta. FIOS is the only better solution, and it's not available in the area.

My connection has been pretty solid, without any of the problems you cite. So, while people love to beat up on Comcast and seem to hate them without knowing why they hate them, the reality is that the technology is light years better than U-Verse/DSL or any wireless service like Clear or 4G, and the reliability in my area has been very good. At least 99.99% which is enterprise quality.

I also don't mind paying for what I get, and getting what I pay for. I think some people hate Comcast because they are not the cheapest solution out there, but again....you get what you pay for in many cases.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,912,245 times
@neill, i have to disagree. i have a new cable modem and the damned thing goes out every day. i have to unplug the modem and "reboot" it because they want to charge tons of money to come out and replace the modem... not to mention the money they wanted to charge me when lighting struck the house and blew out their own wiring, which they said was wired improperly

Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,174,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
@neill, i have to disagree. i have a new cable modem and the damned thing goes out every day. i have to unplug the modem and "reboot" it because they want to charge tons of money to come out and replace the modem... not to mention the money they wanted to charge me when lighting struck the house and blew out their own wiring, which they said was wired improperly
Wow. Our connection has been very good, and the Motorola SB5101 they gave me back in 2005 is still chugging along. I think the experience one has with Comcast depends to a large extent on the specific location ... in Mableton they are solid. Just don't ask them to change anything.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springgarden View Post
Comcast charges $60/month for high-speed internet, $20 more than what we are paying now (Earthlink, not available in ATL). We wouldn't mind too much paying for decent service, but Comcast also gets some of the worst reviews I have read. This just seems outrageous (especially considering the fact that some cities, e.g. Carrboro, NC, provide public wireless internet for free)! Is there no choice but be exploited by the telecom industry? Having high speed internet is important to us. We have not had any experience with DSL, but we heard it was way too slow compared to cable... Is there a way out here?!

clear internet is in GA and is pretty good not sure if they have went up in their price but when I was living in GA I only paid 35 bucks a month and you can hook up to 4 computers to their router (www.clear.com) is the website check it out it is located all over in most of the malls perimeter, lennox, and cumberland

Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,927,591 times
Well comcast just launched home security and there about to partner with Verizon to do cell phones and internet 2 to

Old 03-22-2012, 04:02 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,547,037 times
I HATE COMCAST!

I recently shut down service due to my move and scheduled an equipment pickup. Comcast apparently went ahead within a week of me discontinuing service and contracted out to a pseudo-collection agency(http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-678-891-0169 (broken link)) that is in charge of equipment recovery and I started getting phone calls up to 20 times a day from them AFTER I'd turned the equipment in. This was in late January and I'm STILL getting calls. And to make it more irritating, when I attempt to call the number back I'm put on hold until one of their operators is available or I somehow pick up a conversation in progress by one of the operators(last time they were talking about a ttraffic accident or some crap). The company never gives their name in the messages(it's automated) and apparently it's something generic like Cable Services, Inc or some crap.

They also missed one piece of equipment I had swapped out TWO YEARS ago and they tried to sneak it by me but when I received a bill for over $1000 I called them up and demanded to know just what the hell was going on. Somehow they managed to straighten it out but I'm still getting robocalls from those idiots they contracted out for equipment recovery.

You have to watch those idiots like a hawk. I'm never doing business with them again.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,401,813 times
I've been on cable broadband since it was run by adelphia.
Had pretty frequent outages under adelphia but since comcast took over it got really fast and really reliable.
Their prices are high but the techs that come out are good and I've got no complaints about it other than the price but if you keep calling asking if they will lower it, they will lower it a little for a while.
Another nice thing is free access to xfinity tv shows on demand on the web, even if you only use their bradband and not tv.

We can't get the faster speeds dsl at my location and you can only order it from bellsouth who i refuse to deal with so it's cable or nuthin.
Fiber isn't coming any time soon either.

Watch...
now it will go out.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 PM

178 posts, read 619,683 times
Clear is popular, but their speeds are hardly as fast as comcast. Charter isn't bad, but they are barely around the Atlanta zip code.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,243,019 times
Again...everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when I read some of them, I wonder if there are two Comcasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta