Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2006, 07:59 AM

53 posts, read 275,921 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are considering a move to Georgia, but need some input. We would like to find a place that is very close to an excellent hospital, within driving distance to a Marta train station, and not directly in Atlanta. The Atlanta traffic would be too much for us. Do any of you have any ideas of towns that would meet our specifications? Thank you SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 03:48 AM

148 posts, read 952,376 times
Without a doubt Emory Hospital, affiliated with Emory University, is generally regarded as the best hospital in Georgia. First-class doctors are trained at the Emory School of Medicine.

Other fine hospitals located within the Perimeter are: Piedmont, and Northside. I'm not familar with hospitals outside of 285.

As far as I know, Emory Hospital is not within walking distance of MARTA. I have walking problems, so I'm not familar with MARTA. However, Northside is very close to a MARTA station..

Blue Cross and Blue Shield ( BCBS ) of Georgia has been involved in a bitter dispute with Piedmont Hospital, a fine hospital, involving fees. Apparently, BCBS of Georgia is more interested in CEO bank accounts than its customers.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 PM

23 posts, read 182,654 times
Piedmont hospital and BCBS of Georgia have recently worked out a contract. My husband is a physician and admits to Piedmont and Emory. Both are fine hospitals. Northside and St Joes are at the perimeter. Northside also has a hosptial in Cumming and Piedmont has hospitals in Jasper and Fayetteville. Getting to Emory is difficult and Marta does not even come close to it. There is a marta station between Northside and St Joes at the perimeter of 285.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:23 AM

279 posts, read 472,995 times
the northside of town..dunwoody.. is very nice, there is a marta train station there and it is a 3 minute ride to northside hospital

Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 AM

425 posts, read 1,756,574 times
Sandy Springs - Northside Marta station where you have access to Northside and St. Joseph's.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times
Ok, but the original post says this:
__________________________________________________ __
"We would like to find a place that is very close to an excellent hospital, within driving distance to a Marta train station, and not directly in Atlanta. The Atlanta traffic would be too much for us."
__________________________________________________ __

So far all answers point to places that are indeed technically within Atlanta, and within the "Atlanta traffic area". And I'm afraid that's the whole answer - there are no hospitals on MARTA that are outside of the main Atlanta area and outside of the Atlanta traffic area. Likewise, any neighborhoods you find that are close enough to reasonably drive to a MARTA station to are also going to be well within the greater traffic area.

Options:

1) Move further out. It increases your drive to MARTA but day-to-day traffic won't be as bad if you also find a job in the area you'll be living in.

or

2) Move CLOSER in. There are various developments built or under construction now that are within actual walking distance to MARTA stations (Lindbergh area, Brookhaven, etc). With this option, you buy a townhome or condo in one of these areas and are able to walk to MARTA and take the rail and/or buses to any of the local hospitals.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:34 PM

985 posts, read 5,761,404 times
I vote for dunwoody/sandy spring area. Take train to hospital within 5 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta